Reporting for Containers lost at sea

Another incident of containers overboard in the North Pacific:

Hyundai has invented lashing free container ships:

I thought it was something familiar with this idea:

You just didn’t look back far enough. No one bit at the design back then. Admittedly intended for JA uses.

Never heard of this invention.
How many were built??

“No one bit” = no orders placed
Even back then people were attempting to get trucks off the road, cut port time/costs. I don’t have any special knowledge of the economics back then but probably like today, short sea is a difficult rope to piss up.

Sorry, I couldn’t find any “sarcasme” emoji.

Lots of good ideas have no takers at the time, but someone else succeed with it later.
(Story of my life) :sob:

couple of years ago ACL improved their old concept deployed in the middle 80s on Europe - ECUSA run with 4 mega roro vessels. Had seen them often at sea and in US ports as well as in Halifax.

Article_A_Star_Ship_Designed_by_Danes_Atlantic_Star_Shippax.pdf (knudehansen.com)

Old Atlantic Concert :

Latest design :

Some other old concepts operated and seen at sea in late 80s and 90s

1st generation ACL ships. Atlantic Causeway 1968 built. Scrapped 1986

1 Like

Yes I was thinking of the newer ACL ships with high and sturdy container guides for deck cargo as well. But they are Ro/Con and only partly “open hatch”, so not directly comparable to the the Hyundai developed concept:

PS> The animation shown with the original article appears to me to show the new Maersk methanol powered ships. (??):

1 Like

ZIM HAIFA

|Name:||ZIM HAIFA|(effective 2021-08)|

|Torrance|(effective 2020-12)|
|APL England|(effective 2001)
|IMO Number:|IMO 9218650||
|Flag:||Liberia|(effective 2020-12)|

|Singapore|(effective 2001)
|Call sign:|D5YU8||
|MMSI:|636020351||
|Ship UN Sanction:|Not on list||
|Owning/operating entity under UN Sanction:|Not on list||

Characteristics

|Type:|Container Ship (Fully Cellular) (effective 2001)

|Date of build:|2001-02||
|Gross tonnage:|65,792||

Companies

|Registered owner:||Klaipeda Maritime LLC||(effective 2020-12-22)|

|IMOCompanyNumber=6185961)|
|Nationality of registration|Marshall Islands|
|Address|Care of ConChart Commercial Inc , 3-5, Menandrou Street, Kifisia, 145 61 Athens, Greece.|

If ZIM is time chartering such floating coffins no wonder crews on some ships feel some anxiety about technical condition. Thought APL England was under Seaspan shipmanagement ( both technical and crewing)

Maybe a better solution is to avoid loss in the first place?:

1 Like