Tug Engineer Training

I worked for SUNY on the Empire State as Chief Electrician back when the “New” Ship first arrived.

Shortly there after I returned to sailing on Large ATB’s as Chief Engineer and worked until my retirement. I have been thinking about contacting the school to see if I could be of any help in training the cadets in Proper Watch Standing on Tugs. When I was sailing I had many recent grads come to my boats for their first job sailing. It would have made my job a lot easier as Chief if they had someone spend some time with them to teach them what life on a tug is really about. Life there is really different from being on a ship.

The time that I spent working on the two Empire States was some of the most enjoyable and fulfilling time of my sailing career. I really enjoyed teaching and working with the young men and women cadets.

If training like this was offered, by someone that has done this type of work for a long time, I believe that it would help make these new engineers much more valuable to prospective employers.

What do you all think? Is this something that is worth bringing up to the school?

Sorry, I’m a deck cadet. I’ll see if any T-AKE ships are available. Even I go with a ship that’d I be able to get my loads and discharges, don’t I also need 90 days? Because of the late ship out date, I don’t think I’d be able to do 90 days.

I’m a deckie but I’d say it’s worth a shot if you like it. I know they usually hire some instructors for cruise that aren’t regular full timers.

From an outsider POV absolutely a sound, worthwhile concept.

However…

Wouldn’t this totally fly in the face of the Maritime Academy mantra of deep draft, unlimited 3rds, and ship only channel? I am surprised that of all the schools only SUNY seems to be working in this direction ( and only SUNY seems to see the difference!). Good luck. Maybe with a few more alumni like yourself you can pry open the door of stagnation so that ALL the academies will start graduating actual watch ready stand alone 3rds.

[QUOTE=Tugs;67079]What do you all think? Is this something that is worth bringing up to the school?[/QUOTE]

I think someone already has. They have a two-year program for a DDE license that is tug-centric.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;67155]I think someone already has. They have a two-year program for a DDE license that is tug-centric.[/QUOTE]

I know they have to program but I was talking about real life training on standing your first watch. Some of the guys that I have had may have had plenty for knowledge but were lacking on practical skills. There was many times where I would get a green Assistant and be afraid to sleep with them in the E.R. Other times everything just clicked and they caught right on and were able to jump in with both feet.

You are talking about unlimited thirds, none of the unlimited engineers in the program have graduated yet. To the best of my knowledge.

The unlimited guys did three cruises or two and a cadet observer summer. So if they are coming out lacking skills, I think the problem lies in their experience on the training ship.

The training ship always hires outside help for sst, they usually prefer alumnus with unlimited licenses, but there are some ringers occasionally.

As far as shoreside, the PS department is always hiring, but they don’t pay well.