Cadet at suny maritime

so im a cadet at suny maritime going for my 3rd mate unlim and i was wondering what are the chances of getting my toar signed off before i graduate … ive been working on a pilot boat for 3 years and also work at a local marina where i doc 30 foot fishing vessels so i have some boat handling experience

Don’t you take a tug & barge class? If so that replaces the toar. And all you need is 30 days on a tug after that to have the mate pilot endorsement put on your ticket.

Great another 30 day wonder!! Because that’s what our industry needs!!

so im sposed to b mpressed with ur post ? fughedaboudit.

Your professor said you:“Had to have an account on GCaptain.” He may have neglected that you should probably use proper English and Punctuation while doing so.

What was your question? You want Me to allow YOU to take the wheel of my tug when you can’t even bother to hit the correct keys on the keyboard? I am more worried about the Keys around Florida! If you throw out this kind of immature application how will you ever gain respect? I can’t wait until you come aboard as Cadet. My Mate will take you to places you haven’t even heard of… and you will wish you hadn’t!

And apparently he thinks docking a 30 foot fishing boat somehow qualifies him to dock something bigger, they’re all the same right?

In my old company they would have him in the Wheel House in no time. No wonder I almost never slept when certain Mates were on watch. I may be a dinosaur but as far as I am concerned they all should start out as a Deckhand and not only for a year or so.

I remember back around 1991 I stopped down the see some old friends on the T.S. Empire State and was asked to talk to some of the Cadets that were in the Tugs and Towing Club. I started out by saying how if they were smart they would start out on deck and they should find the oldest Deckhand and kiss his ass as he could teach you a lot. One smart ass looked at me and said no way I AM GOING TO BE LICENSED. I looked at the smart ass and said that I hoped he never worked on the same boat that I did. These kids come out thinking they know everything.

When breaking in a new Assistant, one statement that would male my blood boil is “I already know how to do that” and boy did I hear that a lot .

[QUOTE=rshrew;78406]Don’t you take a tug & barge class? If so that replaces the toar. And all you need is 30 days on a tug after that to have the mate pilot endorsement put on your ticket.[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn’t. Cadets don’t have to do all of the TOAR because they are also doing STCW assessments in their program. They do have to do all of the Part D manuevering section.

The policy on not doing all of the TOAR is not ust for maritime academies, it applies to anyone who also does STCW assessments (not hold the certificate, you have to do the assessments). See NMC policy letter 04-03, http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/policy_letters/pdfs/04-03.pdf

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

[QUOTE=Cal;78430]And apparently he thinks docking a 30 foot fishing boat somehow qualifies him to dock something bigger, they’re all the same right?[/QUOTE]
Well, it DID have two engine thingys on the back!