Tub Boat Observer Time Sea Time

Hello, I’m due to renew my Master 1600 NC and DDE Unl HP this Year. I would like to add Master of Towing to it. Although I have some 7000 days at sea I have very little on Towing vessels, or at least in the eye of the CC. ( A towing vessel engaged in fishing doesn’t count ) I have recently got my TOAR, and all I need is my 20 12hr days as an Observer aboard a Towing Vessel. Well I have exactly 27 Days aboard a Tug in recent years, and have a couple of questions as to how to write up my time so as the CG will accept it.

Since my License is Near Coastal, do only NC days count ? In other words are they going to throw out days spent in inland waters ?

What exactly is Observer Time? In reality how can 4-5 men no matter what position they are in on a Tug not observe what’s going on 24/7 ?

I realize the correct way to do this is to have a long standing Job with a Large Towing Company and they will pretty much do all this for you when they have a demand for Deck Hands to get a Mates License’s. Problem is I don’t fall into this scenario, with a DDE, they are in no hurry to lose a DDE for another Mate. My Goal is to work as both a Engineer and a Mate.

I would think having the capability of filling an engine spot and deck spot would be a good thing for most, if not all companies. Problem is it seems there are more wheelhouse guys out there than deck guys.
I’m sure some of the MOTs will chime in regarding your other queries.

[QUOTE=Richard Post;155177]Hello, I’m due to renew my Master 1600 NC and DDE Unl HP this Year. I would like to add Master of Towing to it. Although I have some 7000 days at sea I have very little on Towing vessels, or at least in the eye of the CC. ( A towing vessel engaged in fishing doesn’t count ) I have recently got my TOAR, and all I need is my 20 12hr days as an Observer aboard a Towing Vessel. Well I have exactly 27 Days aboard a Tug in recent years, and have a couple of questions as to how to write up my time so as the CG will accept it.

Since my License is Near Coastal, do only NC days count ? In other words are they going to throw out days spent in inland waters ?

What exactly is Observer Time? In reality how can 4-5 men no matter what position they are in on a Tug not observe what’s going on 24/7 ?

I realize the correct way to do this is to have a long standing Job with a Large Towing Company and they will pretty much do all this for you when they have a demand for Deck Hands to get a Mates License’s. Problem is I don’t fall into this scenario, with a DDE, they are in no hurry to lose a DDE for another Mate. My Goal is to work as both a Engineer and a Mate.[/QUOTE]

You should hire a good USCG licensing consultant (Andy Hammond, Chuck Kasuka, Holly Chetta, etc – google uscg license consultants) to help you and your companies properly prepare the seatime letters, and your application. In theory, observer time is suppose to be just that, observing, not working as part of the regular crew. However, it does not always seem to be that way in practice. Writing the letters properly is important. It shouldn’t be too hard to find someone to ride along with for a few days. Good luck.

How are things in Owls Head?

Easy, not necessarily legal way: get a toar signed and go work for a few weeks as mate (toar+license). Then send in days for the license to be printed with MOT.

[QUOTE=Richard Post;155177]Hello, I’m due to renew my Master 1600 NC and DDE Unl HP this Year. I would like to add Master of Towing to it. Although I have some 7000 days at sea I have very little on Towing vessels, or at least in the eye of the CC. ( A towing vessel engaged in fishing doesn’t count ) I have recently got my TOAR, and all I need is my 20 12hr days as an Observer aboard a Towing Vessel. Well I have exactly 27 Days aboard a Tug in recent years, and have a couple of questions as to how to write up my time so as the CG will accept it.

I realize the correct way to do this is to have a long standing Job with a Large Towing Company and they will pretty much do all this for you when they have a demand for Deck Hands to get a Mates License’s. Problem is I don’t fall into this scenario, with a DDE, they are in no hurry to lose a DDE for another Mate. My Goal is to work as both a Engineer and a Mate.[/QUOTE]

You need to complete a TOAR, by a Coast Guard approved Designated Examiner.

The requirement is for a minimum of 30 days under [I][U]training[/U][/I] and observation on a towing vessel. That generally means you are completing the TOAR and someone, usually an approved Designated Examiner, is observing your progress and when signing the TOAR, attesting to your competence. Much of the TOAR requires you to do something with a tow, it’s hard to see how that can be going on if you aren’t towing anything.

Here’s an exercise in plain language, if a vessel that tows something is a “towing vessel”, what is a vessel that fishes? I pose this not to say the time can or cannot be acceptable as time under observation and training on a towing vessel, but to question how you can gain the skill to complete a TOAR if you aren’t towing anything.

You need a minimum of 30 days on a towing vessel on each route you will be endorsed for, except western rivers, which requires 90 days. See 46 CFR 11.464.