TSA Pre Check and TWIC

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;181004]I paid for the TSA pre-check. It’s worth it when it works. However, even if you apply the number to your itinerary, you won’t always get to use the service. It says that right on the front page of the TSA pre-check website. AND it hasn’t always worked for me. They’ll say “sorry about your luck at the desk”…it doesn’t always work. I had a guy type it in 3 times and it still didn’t show up on my ticket at one instance.[/QUOTE]

Not all airports are set up for it, either.

[QUOTE=cmakin;181101] as has been noted above. Government. . . at least I am able to put both my TWIC and KTN costs on my expenses. . . .[/QUOTE]
Nope not government, government contractors do the background and take your money.
Lockheed, who used to have the TWIC contract knows how to suck the most out of citizens. They don’t miss out on many boondoggles. I would guess they also are in charge of the KTN program since in many cases they have the same office.
Let’s see. I pay taxes to my government that hires trillion dollar corporations to administer the laws the trillion dollar corporations help write and this helps me, the citizen; all in the name of security? The biggest threat to my security are asshats like Lockheed, General Dynamics, Raytheon etc. that extort from me my hard earned money all with the blessings of congress.
No incumbents

[QUOTE=tengineer1;181163]No incumbents[/QUOTE]

Congressional term limits.

True. The airport I was in that didn’t recognize the known traveler # was definitely set up for it. Whatever. It was rather disappointing that it didn’t work the time I really wanted/needed it to.

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;181173]True. The airport I was in that didn’t recognize the known traveler # was definitely set up for it. Whatever. It was rather disappointing that it didn’t work the time I really wanted/needed it to.[/QUOTE]

It is stated going in that the TSA Precheck isn’t always granted. When I first got my number, I didn’t get it for the first two or three flights. I can say that for the past year and a half to two years that I HAVE received it on every flight, except for a last minute change on Southwest in Dallas, but I wasn’t carrying my laptop. . . at most smaller airports that aren’t set up for it, I find that most do give a card so that you can use the metal detector and keep your shoes and belt on, but have to take out the laptop. Overall, if you fly at least once a month, I find it to be a good deal. Frustrating, yes. . .at times.

It’s just frustrating sometimes that travel is such a pain in the ass sometimes. We as Mariners in the USA are more than likely citizens, carry a US passport, a government regulated and issued MMC, a valid background checked TWIC card which is also government regulated AND paid for ANOTHER fucking thing (TSA pre-check) just to make travel easy…and we are still treated like an asshole in the airport. Quite frankly, I think we should be able to walk through the airport like the pilots and flight attendants. Never losing pace and just holding up your i.d. card like they do and then get the nod because we’re part of “the club” bypassing all of the civilians cutting all lines and not waiting. And I like many of us out here are veterans to top it all off. All of these things don’t make us better than the next guy or gal…but, no one can say we aren’t THOROUGHLY vetted to fucking travel without being subjected to the same Crap as a regular person who doesn’t travel as much as we do.

We all know that goverment is the problem not the solution. That fact is so well known that it doesn’t even need to be said, just deliver the punch line; “goverment”.

Now we’ve created a monster with the enforcement power of the goverment and the greed of a corporation. The average Joe Schmo has been taught to hate representative government so I’d say get used to it because more of it is coming.

[QUOTE=cmakin;181175]It is stated going in that the TSA Precheck isn’t always granted. When I first got my number, I didn’t get it for the first two or three flights. I can say that for the past year and a half to two years that I HAVE received it on every flight, except for a last minute change on Southwest in Dallas, but I wasn’t carrying my laptop. . . at most smaller airports that aren’t set up for it, I find that most do give a card so that you can use the metal detector and keep your shoes and belt on, but have to take out the laptop. Overall, if you fly at least once a month, I find it to be a good deal. Frustrating, yes. . .at times.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t fly for 5 years after I retired. I’ve flown 4 times in the last 2 years and was surprised to be put in the “fast lane” with my shoes on each time. I’ve never applied for any special status.

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;181177]It’s just frustrating sometimes that travel is such a pain in the ass sometimes. We as Mariners in the USA are more than likely citizens, carry a US passport, a government regulated and issued MMC, a valid background checked TWIC card which is also government regulated AND paid for ANOTHER fucking thing (TSA pre-check) just to make travel easy…and we are still treated like an asshole in the airport. Quite frankly, I think we should be able to walk through the airport like the pilots and flight attendants. Never losing pace and just holding up your i.d. card like they do and then get the nod because we’re part of “the club” bypassing all of the civilians cutting all lines and not waiting. And I like many of us out here are veterans to top it all off. All of these things don’t make us better than the next guy or gal…but, no one can say we aren’t THOROUGHLY vetted to fucking travel without being subjected to the same Crap as a regular person who doesn’t travel as much as we do.[/QUOTE]

I dunno… I’ve sailed with enough batshit crazy people, even after TWIC, to know that this might not be the solution either. I definitely think that we should be able to go through any express lane that exists though.

True statement. I lost any confidence in the TWIC program working with some real bottom feeders. Whatever the criteria is, it must not be very high.

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;181196]True statement. I lost any confidence in the TWIC program working with some real bottom feeders. Whatever the criteria is, it must not be very high.[/QUOTE]

TSA and TWIC are feel good programs that do little for security. I travel internationally quite a bit. It is pretty painless until I arrive in the USA and have to listen to all the announcements about reporting suspicious people, not photographing TSA etc. I think to myself,"This is supposed to be a free country? Hell, the old Soviet Union and a few dictatorships I have been thru were friendlier than this."
Good Lord, the USA has more guns per capita than any other country but now is a country that fears everyone, even their own citizens? Need to drop that “home of the brave” from the anthem.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;181178] I’d say get used to it because more of it is coming.[/QUOTE]

The old saying about boiling a frog comes to mind.

In another few years we will look back at the Soviet Union of the 1950s and envy their freedoms.

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;181196]True statement. I lost any confidence in the TWIC program working with some real bottom feeders. Whatever the criteria is, it must not be very high.[/QUOTE]

Remember the truck driver who accessed a pier with his TWIC and killed someone? USS Mahan.

Then TSA had to change the criteria to eliminate people with manslaughter convictions.

I don’t use my TWIC for travel any more. I use my CaC. I don’t get as many raised eyebrows.

I know… Dumb question, but what’s a CaC?
Never mind -Common Access Card. Should have read your earlier post.

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;181207]I know… Dumb question, but what’s a CaC?
Never mind -Common Access Card. Should have read your earlier post.[/QUOTE]

It comes in handy for more than a car window snow scraper (which I actually have used the TWIC for)

In the Washington Post today Want better, smaller government? Hire another million federal bureaucrats.

Yes, government is big and is dangerously debt-financed, but it is also administered by outsiders — and that is what guarantees that our big government produces bad government, too.Post-1960 Federal America has become a grotesque Leviathan by proxy, in which an expanding mass of state and local government workers, for-profit contractors, and nonprofit grant recipients administers a vast portion of federal money and responsibilities. Beginning in the 1960s, the War on Poverty, the Vietnam War, and growing public demands for Washington to do more on issues from street crime and health care to environmental protection and veterans affairs led to government’s expansion.

Members of Congress and blue-ribbon panels calling for cuts in the federal workforce are missing the real problem. We don’t need fewer federal workers; we need more of them — a lot more. More direct public administration would result in better, smarter, more accountable government.

[QUOTE=injunear;181179]I didn’t fly for 5 years after I retired. I’ve flown 4 times in the last 2 years and was surprised to be put in the “fast lane” with my shoes on each time. I’ve never applied for any special status.[/QUOTE]

I think old people and babies don’t have to take off their shoes. Are you in either or both of these categories?

this calls for a public service announcement

HI! I’m Joe Beats.

Say, what chance does a deceased returning war veteran have for that good payin’ job, more sugar, and that free Mule we’ve all been dreaming of?

Now take off your shoes.

Now you can see how increased spending opportunities, mean harder work for everyone, and more of it, too! So, do yourself a favor, Joe. Join with millions of your friends and neighbors, and, TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES!

“For INDUSTRY!”

unless you were born before 1965, you simply will not have a clue which is simply too bad

I was born in 1966, can I get a waiver?

[QUOTE=Flyer69;181318]I was born in 1966, can I get a waiver?[/QUOTE]

only if you can answer where that PSA originated?