TSA Pre Check and TWIC

I know there are a lot of mariners that have to fly and I am wondering what kind of luck, experiences or ideas to be TSA Pre Checked. Even though we have the TWIC it doesn’t seem to automatically get us Pre-checked. I read on a towboat page that if you enter the number on the back of your TWIC in the “known traveler number” box when making reservations, that it will work for Pre-check.

Let’s hear from you fellow mariners

This is a great question. I would like to know more as well. I started researching the sentry pass for quicker tsa security on my way to work and for coming and going to tijuana and baja. But if i could use my twic number i might forget about the sentry pass and save a few dollars.

I have the pre check it is nice being able to leave your computer and jacket/shoes on when going thru the check point. Only drawback is if you are near a small airport it might be closed. Very worth the money when flying home from Nola and you are in a time crunch.

[QUOTE=t.mcg;180878]I have the pre check it is nice being able to leave your computer and jacket/shoes on when going thru the check point. Only drawback is if you are near a small airport it might be closed. Very worth the money when flying home from Nola and you are in a time crunch.[/QUOTE]

Being Pre-checked is great, but why should we have to pay for the Pre-check process,ie:submit fingerprints for a background check, when we have already done it for our TWIC

[QUOTE=sfmariner;180879]…but why should we have to pay for the Pre-check process,ie:submit fingerprints for a background check, when we have already done it for our TWIC[/QUOTE]

Because gubarment!

[QUOTE=sfmariner;180874]I know there are a lot of mariners that have to fly and I am wondering what kind of luck, experiences or ideas to be TSA Pre Checked. Even though we have the TWIC it doesn’t seem to automatically get us Pre-checked. I read on a towboat page that if you enter the number on the back of your TWIC in the “known traveler number” box when making reservations, that it will work for Pre-check.

Let’s hear from you fellow mariners[/QUOTE]

KTN and TWIC are separate. The private contractor doing the TWIC and KTN want your money. You have to pay for both. Same background check, but they need the money so you pay. I went to the pre-check/KTN office, saw the lady that used to work at the TWIC office now working at the KTN office and asked what the difference was between the TWIC and KTN. She said one is $85 and the other is $125, other than that there is no difference as far as background check goes.

Because government.

[QUOTE=sfmariner;180874]I know there are a lot of mariners that have to fly and I am wondering what kind of luck, experiences or ideas to be TSA Pre Checked. Even though we have the TWIC it doesn’t seem to automatically get us Pre-checked. I read on a towboat page that if you enter the number on the back of your TWIC in the “known traveler number” box when making reservations, that it will work for Pre-check.

Let’s hear from you fellow mariners[/QUOTE]

I have TSA Pre-Check, but I think I was enrolled by a Delta agent when I checked in using my CaC (Common Access Card) some time back, not my TWIC. That’s a federal ID and looks a lot like the military ID. She checked me in, and on the return flight it appeared on my boarding pass, and I’ve had it ever since.

Shit you not. No fees, no fingerprints, no nada. There was a period of time where certain known “low-risk” passengers got free admission.

And I like it (Pre-Check). Like not doing the shoe and laptop shuffle everywhere I go. Some airports don’t have it though.

I didn’t have to do any of that; but perhaps because I’m a federal employee? I have no idea. I was enrolled without my knowledge! Who’s complaining though.

Theirs a few other ways you can get a known traveler number and be eligible for tsa pre-check. Global entry, nexus, and sentri passes are all issued by customs and they all have known traveler numbers which allow you to go through tsa pre-check. Theyre all a little different and cater to different types of travelers but the main idea behind them is expedited processing when entering the united states through land,sea, or air. I believe you have to do the finger print thing and sit down for an interview with a federal govt. employee but anyone that already has a TWIC should have no problem. I know a guy with a SENTRI pass and he cant cant say enough good stuff about it. Conclusion-the TWIC card is a hot steaming pile of worthless shit.

… the TWIC card is a hot steaming pile of worthless shit.

Only to those of us who are extorted to pay for the damn thing. Lockheed is doing pretty well out of it, as well as whichever politician(s) they paid off to make it part of the new “security apparatus.”

The TSA has another program where you are assigned a “redress number.” Google “tsa redress number.” And there is no cost. You can sign up online. There are some questions to answer, and after a few weeks you will be issued your redress number. Then when you book your next ticket online, you’ll see a space to enter the number. I go through the PreCheck line all the time at MSY. No problem. Still take my boots off because they are steeltoe, but otherwise everything is expedited.

Once you start using you dress number, be sure to double check your boarding pass that it says “PreCheck.”

I have pre-check and for the most part have been satisfied, however what really burns my ass is when tsa randomly move folks from general boarding to pre-check to “speed things up” when in actuality it slows pre-check down. I didnt pay the 85$ so i can get behind a bunch of old farts that have to be told 20 times NOT to take thier belts off. According to tsa these people arent randomly selected. Some agents have been trained in behavioral detection. A buncha real rocket surgeons.

I always just wore my khakis when flying before or after cruise. The idiots think i must be military and they have no idea what a twic is and assume its some form of military id and put me in the pre check line. I got randomly selected for a full body screening and they actually refused to do it even after i told them in not in the military

Wow thats a beautiful thing. I do international travel at least once a year so i applied for global entry pass because it comes with a known traveler number for TSA pre check but if it weren’t for traveling outside country I would go for this no doubt. I feel like a dumbass for flying to work for years and not researching this sooner. Great thread.

I was at a conference, over a year ago, and one of the CG big wigs was asked that question. Apparently the integration of the 2 will eventually happen. But, first they wanted to get the basics of the TWIC working first. So don’t hold your breath that it’ll happen soon, but maybe before we retire and don’t need it any more.

[QUOTE=Steamer;180928]Only to those of us who are extorted to pay for the damn thing. Lockheed is doing pretty well out of it, as well as whichever politician(s) they paid off to make it part of the new “security apparatus.”

https://www.ilwu.org/twic-flunks-latest-test/[/QUOTE]

Yep, whenever some program is privatized’ or ‘reformed’ it just means some corporation that exists to make a profit makes more profit as opposed to a government entity that only has to break even. Whenever I hear public/private partnership or ‘reform’ I know the screwing is coming. Service goes down and cost goes up.
Pay the politicians and you too can get rich off the taxpayers !

I paid for the TSA pre-check. It’s worth it when it works. However, even if you apply the number to your itinerary, you won’t always get to use the service. It says that right on the front page of the TSA pre-check website. AND it hasn’t always worked for me. They’ll say “sorry about your luck at the desk”…it doesn’t always work. I had a guy type it in 3 times and it still didn’t show up on my ticket at one instance.

I believe that I have commented on this before. Regarding the Pre Check, I know that when the program was first implemented, then Continental would place certain passengers (probably based on their frequent flyer plan) on to the Pre Check list. This was before the Known Travelers Number (KTN) program was established. I believe that this went on for more than a year. At some point, when the KTN program started, I investigated what I had to do. Oh, look. The facility in Houston that does the TWIC checks also does the KTN check. Same building, same room. . . but wait. The ID I need to bring to verify my existence is a Passport. TWIC cards not allowed. . . what? I just shut up, made my appointment, showed up with my passport, DL and money. At least I was in and out before all of the others in the room there for their TWIC cards. . . as has been noted above. Government. . . at least I am able to put both my TWIC and KTN costs on my expenses. . . .

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;181004]I paid for the TSA pre-check. It’s worth it when it works. However, even if you apply the number to your itinerary, you won’t always get to use the service. It says that right on the front page of the TSA pre-check website. AND it hasn’t always worked for me. They’ll say “sorry about your luck at the desk”…it doesn’t always work. I had a guy type it in 3 times and it still didn’t show up on my ticket at one instance.[/QUOTE]

Man, is that ever bullshit! Even after paying for Pre-check, it doesn’t always work.