Trick Question

This problem is harder then it looks.

A bat and ball cost $1.10.
The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
How much does the ball cost?

K.C.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;98023]This problem is harder then it looks.

A bat and ball cost $1.10.
The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
How much does the ball cost?

K.C.[/QUOTE]

Say, I’m only on my second cup. I’ll be sure to get back at’cha.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;98026]Say, I’m only on my second cup. I’ll be sure to get back at’cha.[/QUOTE]

To solve this problem requires you optimize coffee consumption, don’t exceed and get too jumpy.

K.C.

Ball is $0.05.

[QUOTE=New3M;98029]Ball is $0.05.[/QUOTE]

How much coffee have you had?

K.C.

2x + 1.00 = 1.10

Wait a sec… I’ll go to a math forum and ASK someone else to tell me the answer.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;98032]2x + 1.00 = 1.10[/QUOTE]

WOW - How much coffee took you to this lofty plane?

[QUOTE=New3M;98029]Ball is $0.05.[/QUOTE]

impossible…where you gonna find a ball for 5 cents?

academy kids…

The bat and ball are included in the price of the video game aren’t they?

Geeze…what a way to start the day. I got it right at first glance. Then on my 2nd cup, I questioned my call. I harkened back to my 9th grade algebra and confirmed my original call. During my morning constitutional, it bothered the crap out of me. So I googled it…Why do I have to over-complicate simple things?:smiley:

let’s Pentagonize this question class…

A nano-molecular carbon fiber fully automatic inertial gyro controlled multimission joint services bat and nuclear powered stealth radar invisible drone ball cost $100000001.10.

How much money must Congress authorize in a special spending bill in order for Lockheed Martin to do R&D and for special manufacturing facilities so to outfit the entire Armed Forces with 10000 bats and 250000 balls given anticipated cost overruns of 250%?

bonus question, how much profit margin is too high for Lockheed Martin to make on this contract? (answer to this question is of course, there is NO profit margin that is TOO HIGH!)

[QUOTE=c.captain;98037]impossible…where you gonna find a ball for 5 cents?

academy kids…[/QUOTE]

Fat Tony award goes to c.captain.

K.C.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;98035]WOW - How much coffee took you to this lofty plane?[/QUOTE]

6 semesters of calculus (5 Ds and one C).
[ATTACH]2885[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;98035]WOW - How much coffee took you to this lofty plane?[/QUOTE]

I used to be the head of the office that makes the exams at NMC. We love trick questions.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;98052]Fat Tony award goes to c.captain.[/QUOTE]

I accept that award with my usual humble gratitude…

[QUOTE=cappy208;98034]Wait a sec… I’ll go to a math forum and ASK someone else to tell me the answer.[/QUOTE]

I all ready went there, they are a strange but friendly bunch, couldn’t understand a thing they told me, I strongly suspect they were pulling my leg.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;98062]I used to be the head of the office that makes the exams at NMC. We love trick questions.[/QUOTE]

May I inquire what else was on the table for your enjoyment? I want my mind to be boggled, I’m strange that way.

5 cents is the correct answer.
10 cents is wrong because if the bat is a dollar more,( .10+1.00=1.10) the bat would be $1.10 making the total price $1.20. (1.10+.10=1.20)

This problem is interesting because the “obvious” answer, 10 cents is wrong and it illustrates a quirk in they way we think.

I first encountered (and got wrong) this problem in the book Thinking Fast and Slow.

According to the book people have a strong bias for plausible narratives and prefer them to more probably scenarios. From chapter 9:

A remarkable aspect of your mental life is that you are rarely stumped…The normal state of your mind is that you have intuitive feelings and opinions about almost everything that comes your way.

Another book that I enjoyed a lot more was:“On Being Wrong”

The author Kathryn Schultz givesan 18 minute TED talk here

If you’re wondering what this has to do with maritime affairs it’s about decision making. Something some mariners might be interested in.

K.C.