Trick Question

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;98078]This problem is interesting because the “obvious” answer, 10 cents is wrong and it illustrates a quirk in they way we think.[/QUOTE]

No…it just indicates that people are stoopid and lazy and only want the answer which is easily obtained rather than correct.

[QUOTE=c.captain;98080]No…it just indicates that people are stoopid and lazy and only want the answer which is easily obtained rather than correct.[/QUOTE]

This answer illustrates the point exactly. Did you “know” the answer or did you have to ponder it for a while?

K.C.

You’re right that the brain is “lazy” A pilot in Honolulu explained to me that the bridge watch’s brains relax at any opportunity. An example was coming into Honolulu Harbor, you have to concentrate entering the channel through the buoys because of the narrowness and the current. Then you daydream till you get to that first big 90 degree turn. He said pilots sometimes turn late because they daydream to long. When the pilot wanted to “wake up” the captain he would break him out of his daydream he’d ask him a routine question,(what was your last port?) to get focus going.

After an intense deck operation you often take a few minutes to recollect before doing the next task if you have time.

[QUOTE=c.captain;98080]No…it just indicates that people are stoopid and lazy and only want the answer which is easily obtained rather than correct.[/QUOTE]

Not me Buster, I’m in my mental prime. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ OK, I lied.
Actually the easy answer, “10 cents” was a give-away that you are being spoofed. It took me 5 cups but by golly I got it.
OK, so I read the thread.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;98082]

You’re right that the brain is “lazy” A pilot in Honolulu explained to me that the bridge watch’s brains relax at any opportunity. An example was coming into Honolulu Harbor, you have to concentrate entering the channel through the buoys because of the narrowness and the current. Then you daydream till you get to that first big 90 degree turn. He said pilots sometimes turn late because they daydream to long. When the pilot wanted to “wake up” the captain he would break him out of his daydream he’d ask him a routine question,(what was your last port?) to get focus going.

After an intense deck operation you often take a few minutes to recollect before doing the next task if you have time.[/QUOTE]

Few months back we had a part cargo tanker sail up a tight spot to a berth, wind probably 30 gusting to 40 directly off the dock. Right at the upper limit of what we’d do with product onboard. Whole transit involved working the shit out of tugs, then here we are finally alongside. Springs out, maybe breasts or headlines/sternlines but not fully moored or at least at the stern. Confusion on the radio and one tug stops working…backing away…must be all set right? I think he said stop and back away, all set with the such and such. Plus its a crap tieup on the stern and either takes 10 mins or an hour, depends on what kind of mood linemen are in. After frying the brain for an hour maneuvering here we are at the dock in a false state of security, and almost as quick as one lost second of focus a pair of lines came within as much time of parting. Wind was such it would have been ugly.

Same idea, that’s a good example. I like that one.

[QUOTE=z-drive;98136]Few months back we had a part cargo tanker sail up a tight spot to a berth, wind probably 30 gusting to 40 directly off the dock. Right at the upper limit of what we’d do with product onboard. Whole transit involved working the shit out of tugs, then here we are finally alongside. Springs out, maybe breasts or headlines/sternlines but not fully moored or at least at the stern. Confusion on the radio and one tug stops working…backing away…must be all set right? I think he said stop and back away, all set with the such and such. Plus its a crap tieup on the stern and either takes 10 mins or an hour, depends on what kind of mood linemen are in. After frying the brain for an hour maneuvering here we are at the dock in a false state of security, and almost as quick as one lost second of focus a pair of lines came within as much time of parting. Wind was such it would have been ugly.

Same idea, that’s a good example. I like that one.[/QUOTE]

Mooring operations under difficult conditions is one of the more challenging operations.

The same pilot told me that you could track 6 things simultaneously.If there is a distraction it takes 30 seconds to reload to short term memory.

During mooring ops there is the engine, the bow thruster, the fwd tug, the wheel, the aft tug, the fwd mooring crew, the aft mooring crew, the position and movement of the ship and the pilot. It takes us about 30-40 minutes to tie up. We tie up “four and two” that is four head line two springs and four stern lines and two springs aft. Often we are on a tight schedule.

In unfavorable conditions if things don’t go right, if we come off the pier, lose position or if the mooring crew make an error, loose control of a line etc. I feel like my brain is over heating. You take advantage of any lull in the action to let it cool down. It’s OK as long as you realize what is happening.

K.C.