"Tramp/Outlaw Towing"

*thought I’d give this a shot…anyone out there doing this kind of work or know of any companies specializing in this type of work?

would like to investigate these opportunities if they still exist…before commiting to matedom pushing a pencil on a coastwise ATB.

Don’t know of any companies specializing in tramping but every company I’ve worked for tramped us between long term contracts and seasonal work.

Also, the ATBs are going away from manned barge drop-offs to mates and AB/tankerman loading and discharging. You can add load plans and ballast water exchange to your pencil pushing

injunear,

not referring to the “big boys”…rather the smaller owner/operators that work the “fringe” of the industry…I suspect a dying breed…long ago I worked tows “down south” mostly pl480 cargo…these were jobs the bigger companies didn’t or couldn’t be bothered with…most of these tows were custer f**ks from the get go…but were fun, challenging, and with interesting destinations with longer than usual dock times…a vagabonds dream…either as master or mate I do my best work “outport” away from the office…just a thought.

[quote=seadawg;13849]injunear,

not referring to the “big boys”…rather the smaller owner/operators that work the “fringe” of the industry…I suspect a dying breed…long ago I worked tows “down south” mostly pl480 cargo…these were jobs the bigger companies didn’t or couldn’t be bothered with…most of these tows were custer f**ks from the get go…but were fun, challenging, and with interesting destinations with longer than usual dock times…a vagabonds dream…either as master or mate I do my best work “outport” away from the office…just a thought.[/quote]

Ireland Towing. Norfolk, Va

Mirage2521,

thank you…will investigate.

try tradewinds towing, Florida… one boat, wild jobs, the owners are children of the man that owns Smith maritime in Florida

thanks tugboat146…will investigate.

2800 hp with 9 ft of draft? At least it’s better looking than the old man’s tug.