Training/Experience

Hey, I am trying to get into the merchant marine industry and I came across Job Corps deckhand/seamanship program I was wondering if anyone has heard about it?

[QUOTE=Joe1823;190362]Hey, I am trying to get into the merchant marine industry and I came across Job Corps deckhand/seamanship program I was wondering if anyone has heard about it?[/QUOTE] I assume you are referring to the program at the Tongue Point (Oregon) Job Corps Training Center. It’s been around for at least 25 years.

Great program, I ship with some outstanding graduates of the program and have had several of their cadets onboard…the course/program is entirely what you make of it…I have seen some pretty worthless seamen come out of Tongue Point as well…but that is a reflection on the student…not the school.

Thanks for the info on the Oregon does anyone know about the deckhand program in Kentucky at all?

Isn’t Kentucky landlocked, except I guess the Mississippi.

if you want to work rivers go find a company in Cincinnati, Louisville, or Paducah. They will know better than us. Originally from KY and grew up on the river. Lots of tugs. I don’t know about any programs there, but if you’ve found one and it’s close to you… do it. Get started and find a job, then worry about finding a good school for more training.

Tried to post earlier but it’s not submitting…

If you’ve found a deck training program in KY and it’s close to you - go for it. You can always do additional training at other schools as you go along.

I grew up in KY. Lots of tugs on the River. Go find a towing company in Cincy, Louisville, or Paducah. They can help you find a program that best suits a river career. If you want saltwater, still go to a close deck school and then look for coastal jobs.