Another cherry

Hey, like alot of new guys, im looking for that first time experince in your world. Live in Va., and was wondering besides going to La., are there any compaines that are looking for first time deckhands that don’t require that you have that year or two of experince for a posted job that say’s you need no experince. I hope that make’s sence. I have my twic and my MMC. Don’t have the 900 bucks for Stcw 95 just yet. Tried looking at SIU, but can’t swing the 18 months of little or no pay for the school. Does anybody know if just joining the Union will get you employed? Been stuck in the same job for four years, just cooking, but afraid to loose it if I go with some promising job that turns up not to be so. Any advice would be good. Tried looking in Norfolk, but nothing yet. 34 years old, and trying to get my shi%$ together and start a career.

Do some research on here and you will find the answers to your questions. Use the search function in the upper right-hand corner. You probably should not ask anymore questions until you have done that. Many newbies have died an awful death because of not doing research first…LOL!

Only advice I can give is if you are going to try and do it on your own, you really should get the STCW

Are you ex-Navy? If so, do you have a GI Bill coming? I used my GI Bill for classes at Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy in Virginia Beach. Very pleased with that school – tell 'em Gary sent you. Anyway, regardless, you might even want to consider selling some DVDs or taking out an educational loan at Navy Federal to get you through the STCW. I agree with the other poster: you really need that STCW. Shows initiative, too. I don’t think the union will “get you a job.”
Best of luck and effort

This is a rough time to even think about getting on any boat to work. Our office is hiring deckhands with 1600 ton license’s and she has a stack of applications for all positions she can pick and choose from. Your best bet is to do as the other guys recommended and get the STCW, even just enough time for an A.B, anything to make yourself stand out in the crowd of people. The level of complacency out here would shock anyone, our office told everyone a few years ago, that STCW and a passport was going to be the new minimum, i believe about 20% of the guys listened, theres going to be some upset people down the road. Mid-Atlantic is a great place to pick up the training, i was very happy, plan on doing the chief limited program there.

[QUOTE=“BargeMonkey;96528”]This is a rough time to even think about getting on any boat to work. Our office is hiring deckhands with 1600 ton license’s and she has a stack of applications for all positions she can pick and choose from. Your best bet is to do as the other guys recommended and get the STCW, even just enough time for an A.B, anything to make yourself stand out in the crowd of people. The level of complacency out here would shock anyone, our office told everyone a few years ago, that STCW and a passport was going to be the new minimum, i believe about 20% of the guys listened, theres going to be some upset people down the road. Mid-Atlantic is a great place to pick up the training, i was very happy, plan on doing the chief limited program there.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about Reinauer?

Precon Marine Construction is right in Hampton Roads, Dann Marine hires new OS deckhands, have you tried Norfolk Tug, Robbins Maritime, C and P towing, or W3 Marine? Salisbury Towing a division of Vulcan Materials is in Havre De Grace MD, Langenfelder Marine in Kent Island?

to our OP

Son, that’s a really bad choice of a username! Might I suggest you try again

[QUOTE=“Gary Carlson;96519”]

Are you ex-Navy? If so, do you have a GI Bill coming? I used my GI Bill for classes at Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy in Virginia Beach. Very pleased with that school – tell 'em Gary sent you. Anyway, regardless, you might even want to consider selling some DVDs or taking out an educational loan at Navy Federal to get you through the STCW. I agree with the other poster: you really need that STCW. Shows initiative, too. I don’t think the union will "get you a job."
Best of luck and effort[/QUOTE]

I used my GI BILL, post 9/11, i was fully reimbursed! MAMA, is a good school to go to, as well as CMTI.

[QUOTE=“Flounder;96347”]Hey, like alot of new guys, im looking for that first time experince in your world. Live in Va., and was wondering besides going to La., are there any compaines that are looking for first time deckhands that don’t require that you have that year or two of experince for a posted job that say’s you need no experince. I hope that make’s sence. I have my twic and my MMC. Don’t have the 900 bucks for Stcw 95 just yet. Tried looking at SIU, but can’t swing the 18 months of little or no pay for the school. Does anybody know if just joining the Union will get you employed? Been stuck in the same job for four years, just cooking, but afraid to loose it if I go with some promising job that turns up not to be so. Any advice would be good. Tried looking in Norfolk, but nothing yet. 34 years old, and trying to get my shi%$ together and start a career.[/QUOTE]

For an entry level deckhand/engineer, try moran, mcallister, icm, or one of the many shipyards that have tugs. Moran and mcallister go through numerous deckhands.

https://vulcanmat.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=1300004Y&lang=en

[QUOTE=ForkandBlade;98155]https://vulcanmat.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=1300004Y&lang=en[/QUOTE]

Vulcan Materials, Deckhand job in Norfolk 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. Great starter job.

I hope you like humping pumps and steamboat wrenches up and down the tow.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;98374]I hope you like humping pumps and steamboat wrenches up and down the tow.[/QUOTE]

Free work out included with the job!

Sometimes you gotta sacrifice a little to gain alot. Not many companies will hire someone with no experience. I think anyone who has been in this industry for a decent amount of time has had a job like that. So what if you have to pump water out of stone scows. Once you’ve got a few months experience and an AB ticket, and a great, better paying job. You’ll never regret putting in the work. I’m currently working on my time off on an old tanker acquiring some recency to upgrade a wheelhouse license. My bunk consists of a foldout above the galley table, a “turdburner” toilet and a nasty shower that drains into the engineroom bilge.