Towing Endorsement Help

USCG NVIC 4-01 States:
[U]Designated examiner [/U]means a person who has been trained or instructed in techniques of training or assessment and is otherwise qualified to evaluate whether a candidate for a license, document,[U] or endorsement has achieved the level of competence required.

[/U]
I see nothing in here that states a Designated Examiner must be a graduate of an “assessors” Course of Instruction. Can a Master holding the same or larger license as mine, with the towing endorsement assess me? The TOAR asks for the Assessors Name and License number only.
Me: 1600 Master, Oceans

A DE must have a USCG approval as a DE. This is a separate and distinct letter from the CG authorizing the examiner to act as a DE.

The ‘assessors course of instruction’ is often simply a career of experience that has been documented and accepted by the CG.

cappy, if that’s the case, why do they not ask for a DE number or anything like that. It’s doesn’t make any sense

Nothing they do makes any sense! But their license number is related to the DE letter on the USCG records.

[QUOTE=mustsea1;63514]cappy, if that’s the case, why do they not ask for a DE number or anything like that. It’s doesn’t make any sense[/QUOTE]

DEs must be approved or the TOAR will not be accepted. We ask for the DE’s name. That’s sufficient to determine if they are approved.

All persons working with us picking up an assessment package also get’s a letter of all DE’s working with our company and are told do not let anyone sign that is not on this list. We do QA class and submit paperwork to USCG for approval.

[QUOTE=mustsea1;63514]cappy, if that’s the case, why do they not ask for a DE number or anything like that. It’s doesn’t make any sense[/QUOTE]

I gave up putting the number associated with the DE approval letter when I either filled out a TOAR, or did RFPNW sign off sheets. The two times I did put a number on someones paperwork (other than my license number) it got flagged by NMC staff. They eventually looked me up by name and the problem was solved. But until it got kicked higher up the food chain in NMC some ‘evaluator’ kept making it a hassle for these two guys. That is the kind of stupid stuff that happens at NMC. Nothing makes sense there sometimes.

Any TOAR that I’ve signed off on asked for my name and licence number. The company I work for asked me if I would like to be a DE and sent a letter to the NMC asking that I be evaluated and approved to be a DE. After reviewing my experience, I was accepted.

Sent from my PiratePhone using gCaptain

This is a separate and distinct letter from the CG authorizing the examiner to act as a DE.

[QUOTE=cappy208;63545]I gave up putting the number associated with the DE approval letter when I either filled out a TOAR, or did RFPNW sign off sheets. The two times I did put a number on someones paperwork (other than my license number) it got flagged by NMC staff. They eventually looked me up by name and the problem was solved. But until it got kicked higher up the food chain in NMC some ‘evaluator’ kept making it a hassle for these two guys. That is the kind of stupid stuff that happens at NMC. Nothing makes sense there sometimes.[/QUOTE]

The database that NMC uses to record DE approvals and to look up if the guy who signed the TOAR is approved does not have a field for reference number , just name and contact information.