"Towboat Chicken"

Certain places on the GICWW are pretty tight. The only good water is in the middle or on one side or another.
Unfortunately you have to meet other tows in these areas. Sometimes you can stop and wait on the other guy or get him to wait in a certain place on you but, again, only in certain places.

About a year ago I had a boat come around the bend and he was way over on my side of the canal. I was pushing empties and I ended up sliding into the bank to miss him. I obliterated a wheel on an old underwater Cyprus stump.

I have rode with certain captains of the creole persuasion that will run you over before they give you an inch.

I prefer to “chicken out” first instead of having to do the paperwork for a collision.

But it does amaze me how many guys will run you over and worry about the paperwork later.

I am glad for modern chart plotters with AIS interface. I can plan my meetings well in advance and I don’t have to worry about any “surprise” boats popping up around the bend on me (for the most part). Nothing big enough that I can’t dodge anyway.

I have learned to stop and wait instead of letting other captains talk me into a bad meeting place. I get paid by the day. I can wait all watch on you.

I decided to test a fella one night. I held my ground. Every inch of it. He wasn’t giving me an inch. I steered off him and then back flat alongside him at the last minute. We rubbed tows in the night at about 3 mph.
We went to another channel…

“You got any damage?”

“Nope.”

“Me neither. Catch ya on the flip flop!”

“Cya then!”

and off we went.

Maybe he gave the next “young” voice he heard on the radio a little more room the next time. Maybe not.

Like I said some of these guys just don’t care.

Yup I know what you are saying. I was helping deliver a boat to Norfolk from Houston and we were in Port Arthur where Bean’s Fleet is turning towards LA. I saw his two bright ass spotlights coming from a few miles away but being unfamilar I didnt think anything of it. Well he never did turn those lights off or answer his radio so blindly meet him on 1 whistle and when I looked out the side window I would have been able to touch his barges. That was some pucker factor there!!

I worked down in the GICW right after graduating from one of the maritime academies, it gave a whole new meaning to a “close quarters situation”

Married in a church, First Communion Dresses not too low-cut wedding dress, Little Black Dresses it is disrespectful to the performance of the clergy, particularly some of the ceremony, Homecoming Dresses the couple should have knelt down, Cocktail Dresses exposed arm of the bride topless kneeling before the icons a bit too respect for the Church, really ridiculous.
Please note that the bride, Celebrity Dresses wedding is to use a long tail trailing or short tail, often constrained by external environmental factors. Classic Dresses If the church rituals, has good tailing of view, but the flower girl is not enough to force the older bride or pick up the tail, and even tripped; Evening Gowns float is another problem, because tens of feet of tail, ordinary cars Evening Dress do can not let go, even if reluctantly Evening Dresses squeezed into a ball, then tailing off after the long wrinkled, less decency; also generally not very clean clean streets, so the bride to wear Party Dresses three to five feet tail, was sufficient.

[QUOTE=dressale;46415]Married in a church, First Communion Dresses not too low-cut wedding dress, Little Black Dresses it is disrespectful to the performance of the clergy, particularly some of the ceremony, Homecoming Dresses the couple should have knelt down, Cocktail Dresses exposed arm of the bride topless kneeling before the icons a bit too respect for the Church, really ridiculous.
Please note that the bride, Celebrity Dresses wedding is to use a long tail trailing or short tail, often constrained by external environmental factors. Classic Dresses If the church rituals, has good tailing of view, but the flower girl is not enough to force the older bride or pick up the tail, and even tripped; Evening Gowns float is another problem, because tens of feet of tail, ordinary cars Evening Dress do can not let go, even if reluctantly Evening Dresses squeezed into a ball, then tailing off after the long wrinkled, less decency; also generally not very clean clean streets, so the bride to wear Party Dresses three to five feet tail, was sufficient.[/QUOTE]
WTF are you talking about? Any of you guys need dress tips?