Top 4 Officers from USN Frigate Fired For Getting Wasted in Vladivostok

Seriously, what the hell else are you going to do in Vladivostock except get totally shitfaced… I disagree with this:

SAN DIEGO (NNS) – Commander, Destroyer Squadron 15 relieved the commanding officer of the San Diego-based frigate USS Vandegrift (FFG 48) Nov. 2.

Capt. John L. Schultz relieved Cmdr. Joseph F. Darlak, Vandegrift’s commanding officer, due to loss of confidence after demonstrating poor leadership and failure to ensure the proper conduct of his wardroom officers during a September port visit in Vladivostok, Russia.

Capt. Schultz also detached the executive officer, Lt. Cmdr. Ivan A. Jimenez, the chief engineer and the operations officer for personal conduct involving use of alcohol and not adhering to established liberty policies.

Capt. H. Thomas Workman, Deputy Commander, Destroyer Squadron 23 has assumed command of Vandegrift and will serve as the commanding officer until the ship completes its current seven-month deployment. Vandegrift is expected to return to San Diego later this month.

Vandegrift is deployed in the C7F area of responsibility and remains fully ready for any mission tasking.

Two detached helo pilots on a ship I was on got shitfaced and fell asleep in the helo in Cabo. Got in trouble but there was no use of the UCMJ as far as i knew. High ranking Commissioned Military Officers are typically held to a higher standard than junior officers or enlisted. Merely getting drunk is an offense, the severity of which depends how strict your Command is. I don’t remember exactly but they called 'em “alcohol incidents” where I was. One = captains mast = extra duty and maybe reduction in pay or even rank. Two = mast = see ya. Again it varies depending on the Command. If you like to get drunk then all you can hope for is an outstanding Chief and good shipmates that won’t screw you over. I’m speaking from an Enlisted point of view.

[QUOTE=rob;87629] Seriously, what the hell else are you going to do in Vladivostock except get totally shitfaced… I disagree with this:

[/QUOTE]

Exactly what they did! BUT…

I don’t know when you were in the uniform last but the ability to be “patriotic as a drunken sailor” in the military has been long gone. The last few years I was in, I would only drink with the Chief’s Mess and we always had 1 sober Chief with us to make sure we did not get in trouble.

I miss the days of pulling into foreign ports, drinking the port dry or beer on the pier, stumbling aboard right before liberty went down, and then heading up to the bridge and “navigating” the ship out at 2 or 3 times the legal limit. It was a time when men were men and the livestock were nervous. Those were the good old days but they are long gone and probably it is a good thing though us old timers don’t think so.

Boston’s 300th birthday must have been late 70’s early 80’s i was operations specialtists on ship the old man came into combat said he had gotten so drunk he lost his rental car. Had me go look for find it, missed ships movement had to catch ship in Charleston got back to ship and never heard anything about it. He was a mustang bet they don’t even have them anymore

[QUOTE=rick;87659]Boston’s 300th birthday must have been late 70’s early 80’s i was operations specialtists on ship the old man came into combat said he had gotten so drunk he lost his rental car. Had me go look for find it, missed ships movement had to catch ship in Charleston got back to ship and never heard anything about it. He was a mustang bet they don’t even have them anymore[/QUOTE]

Agreed, rick, “[I]they even don’t even make them any more.[/I]” We will be back, and actually we are. Fighting men have their fun. It’s still the same today as it was when this picture was taken back in 1967. I’m not in the picture, I was taking the picture.

[ATTACH]2649[/ATTACH]

I’m the only son of a bitch still alive. I’m still a son of a bitch at 72.

Here’s my picture back when they got to take it.

[ATTACH]2650[/ATTACH]

I encountered Russians when they made their first port call at San Diego. They always had an endless supply of Vodka with them and insisted you drink up; it’s an insult leading to an international incident if you don’t. These naval officers were just practicing detente…

We Merchant Seamen inherited traditions passed down through many centuries incorporating many different cultures. What we all have in common is an adventurous soul yearning for the excitement of battling the ocean waves and the adventures of being in many different ports throughout the word. Our cloth was not cut out to be clerks, scribes, lawyers, insurance salesmen and such, ours was born from a restless soul. This being the case there were occasional fights between shipmates. I suppose some may look upon that as a down side of our lives, I don’t. I’m not indicating that I support such rowdiness but that I accepted it as part and parcel of our lives. Things have changed today, or have they?

There are many novels describing our inheritance, I will offer only two which I feel may elucidate our lives for you. The first is a novel called “Two Years Before the Mast,” by Richard Henry Dana, Jr. The second comes from the mind of a great Merchant Seaman, you may have heard of him, his name is Sterling Hayden and out of his mind and experiences came a book titled “Voyage: A Novel of 1896.”

I suspect there was more to second part of “drunk and disorderly” to justify canning these officers. I guess the “old Navy days” our dads served in are long gone. Time now for the new less sexist, less homophobic and less racist Navy. (anchors away theme music here). Liberty call will now be like a chaperoned HS trips with issued low alcohol beer.

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;87806](anchors away theme music here).QUOTE]
That would be “Anchors Aweigh”…

Correct . Aweigh- not “away”. Pounded on the iPhone keys a little too fast. Thanks .

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;87824]Correct . Aweigh- not “away”. Pounded on the iPhone keys a little too fast. Thanks .[/QUOTE]

Well Shoot, who’s gonna buy the first round?

First round? I got it… Coor’s light for the captain and O’douls for the department heads. Everyone has their BAC saliva tests to show the gangway?

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;88010]First round? I got it… Coor’s light for the captain and O’douls for the department heads. Everyone has their BAC saliva tests to show the gangway?[/QUOTE]

I knew things have changed since my day but I had no idea !! :smiley:

How do you all feel about the resignation of Gen Petraeus from the CIA? Does the fact he had an affair mean that he can no longer be trusted by the United States? Seems like another knee jerk reaction to the realization that people are people, and nobody is perfect. Kind of bizarre actually.

Just found out that Petraeus was told to resign from his post at the CIA by the Director of National Intelligence James Clapper Jr. for an affair he ended last summer.

I would be interested to hear who told Clapper to tell Petraeus that he had to step down b/c there’s no way in hell that decision was made by one person… very interesting.

First off yes, he should be asked to resign. The one in charge is held accountable and should be a an example. In this case his actions made him subject to blackmail, given he has a security clearance he became a liability. In fact during my Msc career with the gov I saw many lose their security clearance for much less, generally due to finance issues. You play, you pay… Simple fact that he should have known.

Now for the rest often story. I think they ( Obama’s minions ) went looking for something on him due to the Libyan fiasco. They needed a scapegoat and wanted to move him out of the picture. Oddly, Hillary is now out of the US during the time frame questions are being asked as well. While both may delay answering questions, in the end they will have to… And I hope the truth will come out. But given the present administration I doubt we will hear the truth about this or anything for the next four years.

Even more interesting: The man that asked Petraeus to resign is named “Clapper”, didn’t anyone ever tell the general if you screw around you get the " clap". And, the woman he was fooling around with wrote a book with the title of “All In”. Man, you can’t make this stuff up! It would be laughable if it didn’t reflect to demise of our country.