Too Many, so few Jobs

Well It has been bleak on the Job font. I have been trying, futilely, to find an position on a vessel in any position as 3rd Mate, 500 Ton Master/Mate, or AB. I was called about only one job, but I wasn’t up to par with the requirements. No GMDSS, but that has been remedied. I suppose it doesn’t help that all my time on vessels, since MMA, has been in the tourist industries and world cruising on personal sailboat. There are much more qualified seamen looking for work right now and I suppose the more qualified pool needs to be evaporated before the companies will give some of us less experienced a try.
I am really trying to find a job before summer, because I have a boat to drive this summer and I want to give my employer time to find someone for that position. I suppose I am just venting my frustration and should take a breath and focus on something more productive.

I’ve come to accept that working on board a ship is not going to be a reality for the foreseeable future I have expanded by own job search to include any position where my college degree and experience directly supervising people can come into play.

Times are tough:(

But there are still jobs out there.:slight_smile:

People still quit- and get fired.

I lucked into my last gig (for which MANY were more qualified) by being persistent. I applied at every company I could think of at least 5 times- some as many as 10 times.

I had no luck for months- then got 5 offers in a week!:smiley:

If you aren’t able to wait though- there are a lot of decent paying jobs for people with TWIC cards- in security, construction,skilled trades,railroad/railyard, refinery/pipeliine, truck driving, etc- in port areas.

I recommend searching on Indeed.com and Craigslist for “twic”.

Anthony

OS needs to go in to job placement and make his millions. How did your summer end up? Sounds like you have been busy.
:smiley:

Howdy Hill!

Long time no see (or write):slight_smile:

I have thought of going into the employment business- I seem to be much better at finding others work than finding it for myself!:wink:

It was a good summer- caught millions of pounds of pollock-and several sharks- visited beautiful Akutan Alaska- and learned a few things about splicing, running a crane, and commercial fishing in general:D

Then- spent some time making extra money at pier 91 in Seattle- overnight gangway- learned to run a forklift and other machinery:)

All in all- learned a bit, made good money- and got some seatime.

I thought it was a good experience- and a good company with great people- but not for me in the long term. I realized that where I was sailing and what I was learning are bigger considerations for me than pay.:slight_smile:

Now I’m back in Colorado- fixing up my house- and working on my real estate license (another goal)

How’s Seward?

I heard Alaska cut the daily limit on Halibut to 1- hope that hasn’t impacted business too much:o

Stay safe (and warm!) out there-Anthony

Okay, lets look at the numbers, just looking at the boat in fouchon there has to be at least 500 crew just sitting at the dock.

figure an industiral turn over rate atleast a low 3-6 % that means ___________ crew openings every _____ in fourchon.
bob

Yeah, there’s attrition. But most companies are LOOKING for attrition, so they don’t have to lay off or fire crew. They are often not replacing the lost crewmembers because so many boats are just tied up with no job to do. If they get a job, they can call up one of their laid-off employees to work for however long the job lasts.