TOAR Question

G’Day,
Does a DE with a 200T Master of Tow Near Coastal [I]‘Hold a license equal to or superior to the one for which you are assessing performance’[/I] [B](Enclosure 1 NVIC04-01)[/B] when it comes to signing a Near Coastal TOAR for a 500T Mate of Tow Inland?
Tks n brgds,
DB

[quote=Dublin-Bollix;27057]G’Day,
Does a DE with a 200T Master of Tow Near Coastal [I]‘Hold a license equal to or superior to the one for which you are assessing performance’[/I] [B](Enclosure 1 NVIC04-01)[/B] when it comes to signing a Near Coastal TOAR for a 500T Mate of Tow Inland?
Tks n brgds,
DB[/quote]

Yo can’t sign a TOAR unless you’re a Coast Guard approved Designated Examiner for towing vessels. If you want to seek approval, send a request to the National Maritime Center that includes a detailed description of your experience operating towing vessels, and any training or experience you have in providing training. Send it to D05-DG-NMCCoursesd@uscg.mil (the 2nd character is a zero) or to:

USCG National Maritime Center (NMC-2)
100 Forbes Drive
Martinsburg, WV 25404

G’Day Capt,
Tks v much yr prompt reply. The first part of the question reads [I]“Does a DE…”[/I] I used the abrreviation of Designated Examiner, my apologies. The question is can a Designated Examiner holding a 200T MoT NC, sign off a Near Coastal TOAR for a 500T Mate of Tow Inland? Do the tonnages and/or scope of licenses jive?
Tks v much n brgds,
DB

[quote=Dublin-Bollix;27061]G’Day Capt,
Tks v much yr prompt reply. The first part of the question reads [I]“Does a DE…”[/I] I used the abrreviation of Designated Examiner, my apologies. The question is can a Designated Examiner holding a 200T MoT NC, sign off a Near Coastal TOAR for a 500T Mate of Tow Inland? Do the tonnages and/or scope of licenses jive?
Tks v much n brgds,
DB[/quote]

Your approval letter from the NMC should say what routes you can sign for. The tonnage of the boat or the license the candidate holds or is seeking doesn’t matter. You can sign for anyopne on the oute(s) you are approved for.

Capt,
Tks again yr prompt reply. Advice noted, and much appreciated.
Brgds,
DB

G’Day Capt. Cavo,
One last question - can a candidate for renewal of a Mate of Tow license use a combination of Mate of Tow sea service (250days) and A/B service (110days) to arrive at the 360days required in the last 5 years? The candidate is working as an A/B due to the ‘tough’ economy.
Tks n brgds,
DB

[quote=Dublin-Bollix;27100]G’Day Capt. Cavo,
One last question - can a candidate for renewal of a Mate of Tow license use a combination of Mate of Tow sea service (250days) and A/B service (110days) to arrive at the 360days required in the last 5 years? The candidate is working as an A/B due to the ‘tough’ economy.
Tks n brgds,
DB[/quote]

The 46 CFR 10.227(d)(8) doesn’t specify what capacity the time for renewal needs to be as, so a mix of AB and licensed time is acceptable.

G’Day Capt,
Thanks very much yr reply, you are a gentleman, and a scholar.
Brgds,
DB