To those at sea

Merry Christmas from Subic Bay. Too many away from home. This time in port though but frankly would rather be at sea. Anyway I usually always find time to re-read this passage from A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Came upon it by accident a long time ago - funny it is not depicted in the paragon of all versions of this story - the Mr. Magoo film. Quincy Magoo, what an actor! Never got his due with the Oscars. But back to the topic. Here’s the passage:

[I]The spirit did not tarry here, but bade Scrooge hold his robe , and, passing on above the moor, sped whither? Not to sea? To sea. To Scrooge’s horror, looking back, he saw the last of the land, a frightful range of rocks, behind them; and his ears were deafened by the thundering of water, as it rolled and roared, and raged among the dreadful caverns it had worn, and fiercely tried to undermine the earth.

Built upon a dismal reef of sunken rocks, some league or so from shore, on which the waters chafed and dashed, the wild year through, there stood a solitary lighthouse. Great heaps of seaweed clung to its base, and storm-birds - born of the wind, one might suppose, as seaweed of the water - rose and fell about it, like the waves they skimmed.

But, even here, two men who watched the light had made a fire, that through the loophole in the thick stone wall shed out a ray of brightness on the awful sea. Joining their horny hands over the rough table at which they sat, they wished each other Merry Christmas in their can of grog; and one of them - the elder too, with his face all damaged and scarred with hard weather, as the figure-head of an old ship might be - struck up a sturdy song that was like a gale in itself.

Again the Ghost sped on, above the black and heaving sea - on, on - until being far away, as he told Scrooge, from any shore, they lighted on a ship. They stood beside the helmsman at the wheel, the look-out in the bow, the officers who had the watch; but every man among them hummed a Christmas tune, or had a Christmas thought, or spoke below his breath to his companion of some bygone Christmas Day, with homeward hopes belonging to it. And every man on board, waking or sleeping, good or bad, had had a kinder word for one another on that day than on any day in the year; and had shared to some extent in its festivities; and had remembered those he cared for at a distance, and had known that they delighted to remember him.[/I]

Not at sea, but not at home. Merry Christmas to all from Bayou LaFourche!

May you all be happy, healthy and well in the New Year!

Merry Christmas and be safe!

Merry Christmas 100 miles offshore in Mexico. Preparing for our 3rd Christmas in Mexico. I can not believe how quickly the year has gone by. I hope everyone here has a Merry Christmas, to my friends and colleagues on gCaptain.

Merry Christmas from tug and barge land Northeast, USA. Stay safe out there those of you working, and also to those at home. See you on one whistle.

Such a great piece of writing, it makes you wonder if the author imagined how well he summed up the feelings of people in our profession.

Merry Christmas from the Bayou, I hope everyone gets at least a couple minutes to talk to loved ones back home and put their feet up.

Merry Christmas from port Fourchon La

Merry Christmas from one lucky enough to be home this year.

. Roger that shipmate.

Merry Christmas to all who are standing the watch. Please stand a taut watch, so that all aboard will return home safe.

Merry Christmas from Newport, Oregon!

(Home is VA)

[QUOTE=“catherder;126911”]Merry Christmas from Newport, Oregon! (Home is VA)[/QUOTE]
Merry Christmas from Benicia CA standing bye for our dock…

Home Southwestern Oregon

Merry Christmas and warm wishes from Cook Inlet/Kachemak Bay Alaska.