Time over 1600 tons for 3rd mate unlimited

I’m climbing the hawespipe to a 3rd mate credential, and in the next year I’ll need to get on something thats over 1600 tons to avoid a restriction. I’m located in Alaska and aware of the state ferry system, using the combined tonnage of a tug and barge, and of course NOAA and MSC. What other types of vessels and companies should I look into in order to achieve this goal? Finding work in the PNW and Alaska would be a huge plus, but I am willing to travel as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

as an Alaskan you should be all over anyone operating boats up there isupport of shell drilling

Shell only hires gulf guys for arctic vessels, remember?

Shell has hired a lot of token Natives, for token jobs, through the Native Corps. They have hired a three or four Foss tugboats and let Foss manage the oil spill barge. and it seems that most Alaska mariners would like to work for Foss. Shell has given Crowley some rig towing work, but not too many Alaska mariners want to work for Crowley.

Some of the Alaska tug and barge companies are having a busy year in Alaska, others are not.

Harvey has a few, damn few, experienced Alaska mariners. I have not heard of anyone that I know or know about working on the Chouest boats in Alaska. However, I know some experienced Alaska mariners that are currently working for Chouest in the Gulf. Chouest seems to be good at wasting talent.

None of these companies want to hire anyone in Alaska. They just hire a few tokens to give the false appearance that they are trying to hire Alaskan mariners.

They can have it. Try getting a crew change on time up there. No thanks.

Aaaaaannnnd immediately off topic. Ladies and gents, does every thread that mentions alaska need to turn into an arctic drilling thread? It seems that there are plenty of those all ready.

Back to the original question: what segment of the industry should I be looking at in order to sail on vessels over 1600 grt? Companies? Please see my original post for the outfits that I have all ready researched.

You should be looking to sail on Large OSV’s in the oilfield.

Have you also considered looking at research vessels.(not the NOAA ones)

[QUOTE=swab;168449]I’m climbing the hawespipe to a 3rd mate credential, and in the next year I’ll need to get on something thats over 1600 tons to avoid a restriction. I’m located in Alaska and aware of the state ferry system, using the combined tonnage of a tug and barge, and of course NOAA and MSC. What other types of vessels and companies should I look into in order to achieve this goal? Finding work in the PNW and Alaska would be a huge plus, but I am willing to travel as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Have you looked into the R/V Sequliak? UAF’s new research ship? I know I spelled it incorrectly, I apologize. It’s based out of Seward.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;168540]You should be looking to sail on Large OSV’s in the oilfield.[/QUOTE]

Almost any OSV as long as it is only measured with ITC tonnage will qualify as “over 1600 GRT”.

Some Bering Sea factory trawlers are over 1600 grt (American Seafoods, Arctic storm, Glacier Fish etc.) and Icicle and Trident seafoods have floating processors that are also over 1600 grt.

If you want to work in state, the Bering Sea is a good option, a 3.5 hour plane ride from Anchorage, good wages, sustainable fisheries and you are NEVER bored…

Thanks for the suggestions. I always forget about university operated research vessels. The fishing vessels may not be my first choice based on what I have read about living and working on them, but still worth looking into. Thanks again!