Time for approve to test letter for 3rd engineer license?

I just sent in my entire application, physical letters of recommendation and everything for my 3rd engineer license online.
Can anyone tell me how long it took for theirs to be processed?
I had a loong long list of companies/boats/ships

at least a month, probably 2+ months and that depends on where you sent it and how many issues they need to clear up.

where do u think is the best place to send it

No idea, I have only dealt with the Boston REC. Probably best to send it to the most local one just in case but that may be outdated advice.

Yeah ,Like most of the USCG centers,There just a store front,Most or all info gets sent to VA. Ive called Boston Rec for different questions and they have been pretty helpful. Ive called VA before and got wrong answers. Email takes awhile sometimes but,there answers seems to always make more questions for some reason! They read them of a computer…it seems like it took me 3 months to get some important need info. I had the emails as proof of my struggle. Finally I was able to talk (on the phone) to the evaluator and it was taken care off in 10 Min’s. Of course this is you any problems. Good Luck.

Encase anyone else is wondering about thiers. It took 9 days (7 business days)from the time I sent app to rec to the time it got to west virginia. I talked to them on the phone today and they said it is taking most applications 19 days to be assigned to an evaluator. Then once it gets to an evaluator it shouldn’t take more than a day or two to be evaluated and for approved to test letter to be sent off.

I have a q… Did you need Medical care provider? I am ready to send my package in but my (current) Chief told me I still need that. The check list references First Aid.

For 3rd engineer I know you do. I have heard of some people submitting app, getting approved to test then having to take medical care provider before they would send new mmc. Maybe its better just to take it first and get it out of the way

I went though this when I went for my DDE 1000 hp, with STCW certs. I called USCG in VA. A lady told me No! you dont need it for a DDE 1000. I said ok ,I send all my stuff in With STCW certs, A week later I get a letter saying I need Med 1st care provider, So , I called Boston and ask why. He said you can get a DDE 1000 but to meet STCW requirement you need it. If your on Great lakes ,Rivers and Near coastal you dont. Of course VA didn’t tell me that, They dont look past there nose sometimes. Meaning( what ever the computer says)…And I suggest you get it, It was a 2 day course for me at the time.

Yeah, I will likely do that at the end of my hitch. They are paying for training now which I intend to take advantage of. I just completed lifeboatman and medical will be the last item I need. Thanks.

[QUOTE=catherder;136282]I have a q… Did you need Medical care provider? I am ready to send my package in but my (current) Chief told me I still need that. The check list references First Aid.[/QUOTE]

You should not need Medical Care Provider as you began service for the endorsement before March 24, 2014. This course was not in previous regulations, thus it cannot be required. This is the reason that all of the OICNW courses in NMC Policy Letter 01-02 wre found to be beyoind regulation and not required, this is why Medical Care Provider is not among the few required courses in CG-543 Policy Letter 11-07 for OICNW under the old regulations.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;136326]You should not need Medical Care Provider as you began service for the endorsement before March 24, 2014. This course was not in previous regulations, thus it cannot be required. This is the reason that all of the OICNW courses in NMC Policy Letter 01-02 wre found to be beyoind regulation and not required, this is why Medical Care Provider is not among the few required courses in CG-543 Policy Letter 11-07 for OICNW under the old regulations.[/QUOTE]
Last year when I sat for my dde my evaluator insisted medical care provider was a requirement for any engine license.

The problem is that companies will look at the current checklists and insist on seeing our certificates for every course mentioned on the checklists. Try explaining to some HR person that YOU are an exception to the requirements on the new checklist.

Already we have some companies requiring ECDIS, when no one is required to have it until 2016. We have companies requiring engineers to VSO. Anything on the new checklists is apt to become a company requirement.

Thats why I’ll just sign up for it when I get home. My employer is paying anyway. They are so desperate for licenses and more keep walking out every day to head to greener pastures. They have offered to pay for whatever it takes at this point to help me. So I’ll let 'em.

Too bad they won’t talk about the real issues like pay, time off, and accommodations. That is what will stem the loss but it’s the elephant in the room nobody will acknowledge.

[QUOTE=samaka;136272]Encase anyone else is wondering about thiers. It took 9 days (7 business days)from the time I sent app to rec to the time it got to west virginia. I talked to them on the phone today and they said it is taking most applications 19 days to be assigned to an evaluator. Then once it gets to an evaluator it shouldn’t take more than a day or two to be evaluated and for approved to test letter to be sent off.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to update.
I got an email today saying my application is being evaluated…so it took 4 days. Not 19.

I also sent it in electronically so I’m guessing this must be the fastest way.

Took me 4 weeks to get approved for third. I did not have to do medical care provider. I already hold a few lower level licenses so this is not my first go round. I do know some guys going for their first license that have to get medical care provider.

[QUOTE=z-drive;135285]No idea, I have only dealt with the Boston REC. Probably best to send it to the most local one just in case but that may be outdated advice.[/QUOTE]

It doesn’t matter which REC you send it to, and you don’t have to take the examination at the same REC you sent your application to.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;136923]It doesn’t matter which REC you send it to, and you don’t have to take the examination at the same REC you sent your application to.[/QUOTE]

That is good to know in case I find myself on a long in-port in Seattle or the Northeast. I have been getting bounced around a lot lately.