Current Turnaround times for USCG License Renewals

Does anyone have any info on average turnaround times for USCG License renewals if all the required info is properly included in the packet?

I have been reading some of the performance reports for the NMC in WV, and it looks like January, and February 2014 was running about 30-50 days. My last renewal only took about 20 days and I was hoping this one would be no more than 42 days.

Sent my packet to rec oakland feb 12 and according to the website it was issued and mailed yesterday…went thru first try, no additional info required

I just got the e-mail saying my renewal is complete. (I’m going for delayed issue, so it will be a while before I have the MMC in-hand.) I brought everything to the REC and went through it in person which was a good idea because there were a few things I had to correct and I was able to do it on the spot. Total time was 30 days.

[QUOTE=highseasharry;134431]I just got the e-mail saying my renewal is complete. (I’m going for delayed issue, so it will be a while before I have the MMC in-hand.) I brought everything to the REC and went through it in person which was a good idea because there were a few things I had to correct and I was able to do it on the spot. Total time was 30 days.[/QUOTE]

30 days isn’t bad at all. Which REC did you go through?

I asked for permission to test for an upgrade with all paperwork complete 6 weeks ago…still waiting. I just got informed today that I am finally sitting on the professional qualification desk They are telling me 7-10 more days!

I sent mine in electronically on November 6th. They are all screwed up. They thought I got my AB in 01. I got it in 96. They didn’t know I had a QMED. They want me to send pictures of the pumps, valves, gauges and piping schematics to prove the CG inspected tanker I worked on is capable of transferring DL Liquids. And yes the COI requires 2 PIC’s and it has a VRP on file, they know that.

They have no clue. They said if I don’t get them the pictures and diagrams by April 16th I will have to reapply.(I don’t work on that boat anymore.)

same as the Nautical Institute then…

[QUOTE=powerabout;134547]same as the Nautical Institute then…[/QUOTE]

Not nearly as bad as the Nautical Institute, and with NI we have absolutely no recourse.

The USCG is much faster than NI. If one uses a good license consultant that knows which magic words to quote from which regulations, and who to speak with in the proper language about problems, things flow more smoothly with the NMC. Of course we can also complain to our Congressman about the USCG. A Congressman won’t do much about one complaint, but he will react to a dozen complaints.

Sooner or later some deprived mariner is going to file a class action lawsuit against the NI in a US court. Its going to be interesting to see what a US court does with that.

My congressman’s (who I despise) office had me approved to test within a few hours of them calling me back to discuss the issue. I say less than 3-4 days when the CG said it would be WEEKS, with an s. mileage may vary, but I can say they definitely helped me out. Still wont vote for that asshat though.

Wow!! I’m almost afraid I asked.

Mine has been sitting in Charleston as recieved for 8 days.

You would think that if it is complete it would be quite simple for them to send it on to West Virginia.

Curious NMC received my paperwork 3/27, it has been showing " ready to be screened med". Anyone know how long it sits here before moving along or how long before I get my MMC? Thanks!

I turned mine in to the REC in Mandeville 52 days ago. I got mine screened (cleared) for medical 8 days ago and they sent me a Medical sticker…been saying ready for professional qualification since:(

I’m in a similar boat as ShawnYoungblood, turned my app in to REC Seattle 79 days ago. It cleared medical 12 days ago and has been awaiting PQEB since. Good thing I’m not counting on this upgrade for a promotion or anything.

Good ol’ Charleston. Mine sat as requested on the CG website for three weeks in Charleston until I received an email saying that it was in transit to WV. The weather in Chucktown must be nice and the fish are biting! Speck and Red fishing first, paperwork last…

I submitted my application to REC Charleston on 11/11 and was issued my stickers on 4/8.

One month of that delay was due to my sea service letter not being forwarded to the evaluator. She called me for clarification about something and happened to mention that I still needed to submit a new service letter. I told her which day I sent it and which day I received a receipt confirmation, and she was able to see where my email stopped. Thankfully she took care of everything quickly after that.

Unfortunately, they omitted my STCW endorsement and never issued a medical certificate. So back to the help desk I go.

A dozen donuts goes a long way in that office. Drop those off with your application & things move quickly.

Was just told by a very disgruntled NMC WV employee current turnaround is almost 3 months.

Mine just took 3 months. Next time I will send it 6 months early…

I sent in my renewal apllication to REC Memphis and it has not been entered into the system yet. Still checking my application. I have a received e-mail from the 26th of March. When they first started doing these e-mail applications they had them in the system same day or the next day. It is disappointing that it takes this long just to look at it. I am not in a hurry, I expire in November. Looks like applying early was a good decision.

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;135425]I sent in my renewal apllication to REC Memphis and it has not been entered into the system yet. Still checking my application. I have a received e-mail from the 26th of March. When they first started doing these e-mail applications they had them in the system same day or the next day. It is disappointing that it takes this long just to look at it. I am not in a hurry, I expire in November. Looks like applying early was a good decision.[/QUOTE]

It took just over 8 weeks to receive my OIM endorsement from emailing into the REC to receiving it at home.