This Metric / Imperial map lacks resolution

From a reputable American publication:

PS> Now England has gone metric and is no longer the major trading partner for USA that is no longer a good reason. Why be the last holdout using an archaic system that is the official system of only two others countries?

Here’s a good article that discusses that map: https://www.nist.gov/pml/owm/metrication-frequently-asked-questions-faqs

In 1971, the National Bureau of Standards (NBS, now NIST) published the combined reports of the U.S. Metric Study, which also contained a map depicting a list of countries “uncommitted” to mandatory metrication (Figure 2). The U.S. and other countries listed were described as “Islands in a Metric World.” The flaw with this perspective was that the concept didn’t recognize that the U.S. had been “metric” since 1866, when the metric system was first [legalized](https://www.nist.gov/document/hr-596-metric-law-1866pdf). A few years after the U.S. Metric Study was published, Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act adopting voluntary metrication that was signed into law by President Ford in 1975. Over time, various versions of the map/country list became integrated into even more metrication publications. The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Factbook is one of the often cited sources of the U.S./Liberia/Burma metric myth. The first unclassified version of the CIA Factbook was published around the same time the U.S. Metric Study. It’s likely that the original list of “uncommitted” countries was incorporated, then edited as countries adopted mandatory metric laws. Over the years, many web resources have quoted the CIA Factbook, perpetuating the metric myth and elevating the map to a pop culture meme. The U.S. metrication status is best described as a Metric Continuum.

2 Likes

For a good portion of my career (sailing on steamships) it was customary to order fuel in barrels. It was done that way because we always did it that way. I was talking to the guy who was in charge of fuel purchasing during a seminar. He let it be known that fuel is typically purchased in metric tons. When the steamships ordered in barrels they used an average conversion and make the order in MT. That made perfect sense to me. When sailing on motorships my fuel order was aways in MT. From that point on I ordered in MT though my counterpart continued to order in barrels.

Also at that link is an explanation of top down vs market approach.

The question as to which approach to use is more a social and political one than purely a technical one. I can’t see Americans, at this point, accepting a mandatory requirement.

The U.S. on that map is shown as a single color but while it’s said that countries trade it’s actually individual companies that manufacture goods. Companies adjust to customer demand. The American auto industry for example started switching maybe 40 years ago.

They did, but kicking and screaming.
Do you remember when there were attempts to force Japan to import US made cars, although there were no market in Japan for large uneconomical cars with the steering wheel on the left?

Competition from cheaper, more economical and better quality cars from Germany, France and Japan forced the US auto industry to up their standard, even for the domestic market.

To be able to export cars they had to go metric and produce cars with steering wheel on the right for countries driving on the left hand side of the road:

PS> Thailand drive on the left, although it has never been a British colony.
Sweden was the only country in mainland Europe that was driving on the left. They changed to right in on 3. Sept.1967. Being Swedes buses and lorries switched first. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

How did Sweden start on the left, whats the background to that?

1. Sept. 1967 was a Sunday. All private cars were banned on the roads for a short while that day. Only emergency vehicles, necessary buses and some lorries were allowed to operate
    New road signs had been placed in advance and covered. On “H-day” the covers were moved from the new to the old signs.
    Not sure about how long it took for all cars in Sweden to change steering wheel on the right to the left, or how it was done (before or after H-day).

PS> The whole process was to get in line with other European countries and in preparation for a major upgrade of the Swedish road system.

Here is a link for those with real interest in the subject:

2 Likes

Thanks but how did it start on the left if those around were on the right?

Because Swedes are a strange bunch of people.

1 Like

first muslim country in the EU

OK, when all agree on how much oil in one barrel. Like the ton, it has more than one meaning in various contexts. Conversion of fuel quantity between weight and volume, even within metric, depends on ambient temperature, kind and grade of fuel.