Time changes

At least it should be possible to agree on a date where the US, UK and EU changed the time together (twice every year)

Makes sense to me. I remember when the US first adopted Daylight Savings Time. Lots of reasons given, kids have to wait for school bus in the dark, golfers can’t play when they get off work, blah. It became more a bother when digital watchs came out. I spent a fair amount of time changing time for crew.
For me the problem was shooting ducks before legal daylight as I kept forgetting to change my watch. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Cows didn’t give as much milk when they got milked at a different time was a classical.
The solution; Farmers just had to get used to milk the cows at “different times” summer and winter.

1 Like

Cows have a normal biological clock

2 Likes

Yes they have. So has probably the Farmers.
The difference is that the cows don’t wear wrist watches and don’t give a damn about DST.

3 Likes

The cows are not aware of it so it’s a mooo point to them. Badda Bing! I’ll be here all week folks… don’t forget to tip your waitress… :face_with_thermometer:

5 Likes

But then I have to learn how to set the time on my microwave. Since last week it’s an hour off, and I won’t be able to say it’ll be right again in the Fall. As long as we’re at it, lets do the Newfoundland model and change time by a half hour. As far as the inconvenience of losing an hour’s sleep, try doing it 4 nights in a row on a trans-ocean trip. Get me my tiny violin…

4 Likes

Or 3 hours in one day when the 2m realizes he fucked up.

4 Likes

Charleston to Cape Town: Are we there yet…

Near me there is a farm with 3 fully automatic milking machines. The cows wear a transponder around their neck and they, after some minimal training enter the machine when they want to. They get a feed of molasses while they are being milked and they use the machines at all hours of the night.
Reports indicate the cows give more milk and if there is a problem the farmer is alerted by cellphone.
The gates into the race are controlled by the transponder on the cow so the cow returns to the same paddock after milking.
I haven’t seen a master clock system on a ship for a long time but it had its uses on a container ship running from New Zealand to Europe via Cape Horn at 27 knots. I’ll borrow Mr Cato’s umbrella.

Sorry tiny violen.

Don’t forget your tiny dictionary.

1 Like

I think it was beer o’clock.

Voyages from US East Coast to Europe need five time changes, done by having three-hour midwatches (0000-0400).
Westbound, it’s five-hour midwatches, usually payback to the same people it helped eastbound.
But, SS United States in 1950’s moved too fast, having only four nights for five changes. Solution: 75 minute changes, sliced into 25 minute changes for each watch in the night.
Result: 12 time changes in four nights-- 165 minute watches eastbound and 315 minute watches westbound.
Round trip, the ship had 24 time changes in two weeks.
Coming up to the bridge in the middle of all that left me wondering what time it really was. The chronometer gave me an idea, but since it was left running without periodic resetting, I had to note the pencilled log of difference between display and true GMT.

On an earlier voyage on US Lines’ SS Pioneer Sea, eastbound from the Far East, we crossed the International Date Line on New Years Day, sliding back from 1955 to 1954 and therefore having New Years Eve celebrations on two consecutive nights.

1 Like