What time is it really?

That question is not allowed in this house. Maine is now Eastern Standard Time or UTC - 5 hours.

If you don’t have the good fortune of being in Maine: TIME IS

2 Likes

Time is.
Or is it?

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana.

Groucho Marx

1 Like

Time - He flexes like a whore
Falls wanking to the floor…

Bowie

Hawaii doesn’t indulge in that frippery, either. It’s always Hawaii Standard Time there.

2 Likes

Others include, Arizona (except the Navajo Nation), the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
There’s a strong case to be made for getting rid of daylight savings time but there’s also strong opposition.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/03/tired-of-daylight-saving-time-these-states-trying-to-end-clock-changes/

For far away islands, without direct neighbors, there is no need to coordinate.

Nearer to the equator, the daylight time’s utility (or reason) fades away; the difference of the day’s length between the summer and winter solstices tends to zero at the equator.

Some day length differences in hours:minutes between June 21 and December 21:

07:34 = Seattle WA at 47.6°N
02:36 = Pearl Harbor HI at 21.3°N
01:19 = Trinidad TT at 10.7°N
00:00 = at the equator

Yeah, I forgot that until this morning when I didn’t get an extra hour of sleep. At least I didn’t manually set my phone back an hour like the Chief though. :joy:

1 Like

From the National Geographic article:

But this year, the winds are shifting: More states than ever acknowledge the problems with the regular time changes and are joining forces to try to put a stop to the clock craziness.

Are there any reasons mariners should be opposed to ending the seasonal adjustments? I see none.

None that I can see. I would consider time changes to be one of my least favorite parts of the job but a necessary evil, particularly on a long distance voyage done at high speed where you are changing every night. Why should the rest of the people who are sitting still at home have to partake?

1 Like

It’s a PITA steaming east or west but there’s no way to get around that. Residents of America and Europe having to mess with their clocks twice a year however, is an unnecessary disruption. If there was a referendum, I would definitely vote to end the practice.

The Uniform Time Act established our current DST in 1966 (adjusted in 1987 and 2007). Apparently states are allowed to revert to permanent standard time, but not change to permanent daylight time without an act of Congress.

Seven states – Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Nevada, Oregon, Tennessee and Washington – have approved legislation to make daylight saving time permanent. These states still need the OK from the federal government to enact the change, however.

I can foresee issues crossing the state border if our clocks jump two hours at a time.

So, if US stopped switching the clock, would you prefer permanent DST or ST?

In Maine the most popular proposal is permanent Daylight Savings Time. More daylight in the evening year round, late sunrise in the winter.

One issue is that lots of people, particularly in Portland do business with Boston so they don’t want to change unless Mass does too.

There is some loophole where the eastern seaboard States could adopt Atlantic time without an act of Congress. I’m with KC, more light in the evening.

DST

1 Like

So although those extra hours are nice in the summer, I’ve been having a great week and found it is much easier to get out of bed in the morning with a little sunlight coming through the windows. I would have a hard time sticking to DST through the winter.

Depends on what side of the central meridian for the time zone you are on. Maine is significantly east of it, so it gets late there early.

1 Like

The sun has just crossed the yard…

somewhere