This is my STCW question

I have been licensed since 1983. My first 500 ton Master was Master Freight & Towing issued Feb 87.

In March 1997, Mate 1600 NC was added.

Currently 1600 Master, MTV Near Coastal, issue looks like it would be #7.

I’m tryng to get what I can out of STCW. I just completed BST Refresher, and I did Security Officer with ABS in 2004. Not sure of the course approval, but I think it may have been MARAD.
So, What can I get?
OICNW? RFPNW? VSO?

Mr Cavo? Any suggestions?

Thanks

[QUOTE=Tom_Tugboat;64415]I have been licensed since 1983. My first 500 ton Master was Master Freight & Towing issued Feb 87.

In March 1997, Mate 1600 NC was added.

Currently 1600 Master, MTV Near Coastal, issue looks like it would be #7.

I’m tryng to get what I can out of STCW. I just completed BST Refresher, and I did Security Officer with ABS in 2004. Not sure of the course approval, but I think it may have been MARAD.
So, What can I get?
OICNW? RFPNW? VSO?

Mr Cavo? Any suggestions?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Based on what you described, not much. If you never completed BST in the past, the refresher won’t do anything, you have to have had BST and an STCW certificate in the past.

To get anything, you need the full BST. With that, you can get VSO if your course was approved by MARAD.

To get STCW corresponding to your license, you will need, in addition to full BST, proficiency in survival craft, bridge resource management, and an STCW refresher (not BST refresher). Sionce you were licebnsed in '83, you probably need advanced fire fighting (it was not required for licenses until 1987). If you don’t talk ARPA or GMDSS, you will be restricted to vessels without this equipment.

Thank you, Mr. Cavo. I didn’t include all that to keep the post short.
Full BST 09/2001
56 hour combo fire fighting 03/94
Basic fire fighting 09/2001
BRM 10/01
ABS course 508s Maritime Security for CSO and SSO 03/2004
Radar, Radar, Radar and more radar
STCW 78 01/2001
I didn’t pursue STCW last renewal, because there was no BST refresher in Seattle in 2007, and I am an office type, and don’t get out past the boundary line very often.
I did refresher this time to have a full license again

[QUOTE=Tom_Tugboat;64455]Thank you, Mr. Cavo. I didn’t include all that to keep the post short.
Full BST 09/2001
56 hour combo fire fighting 03/94
Basic fire fighting 09/2001
BRM 10/01
ABS course 508s Maritime Security for CSO and SSO 03/2004
Radar, Radar, Radar and more radar
STCW 78 01/2001
I didn’t pursue STCW last renewal, because there was no BST refresher in Seattle in 2007, and I am an office type, and don’t get out past the boundary line very often.
I did refresher this time to have a full license again[/QUOTE]

OK, that puts you in a better situation. Are you a lifeboatman? If not, you may need the proficiency in survival craft. If you are a lifeboatman or get the PSC course, I would go and apply. You might be told you need the STCW refresher, but apply and see what happens.