The massive blaze puts at risk the historic SS Jeremiah O'Brien,

Thank god that “battleship” is OK. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I think the other Liberty is in Baltimore. John Brown

Yeah, that’s why I didn’t use the headline for a title. I’ve seen that error a couple times now.

No thank God that the Adelia the reporter was safe in London.
Try this from local reporters

Across the Bay is the Red Oak Victory the last Victory Ship that was built by Kaiser Ship Yards and saved from the scrappers. RedOakVictory.us
This is part of the Rosie the Riveter Museum. I found this to be a hidden gem of the National Park Service.
NPS.GOV/RORI/INDEX

I participated towing the “Columbia Victory” later renamed in 1952 the “Betelguese” . It was being scrapped and landed on a beach in the Outer Banks in 1976 or so… We took over the tow and took it to Brownsville to be scrapped. A memorable tow as an AB. Although we had bridles, it rarely stayed behind us.

1 Like

Hope they can save it.

Information about one of the Fireboats the St. Francis.

Here is information about previous boats in the fleet.
https://www.guardiansofthecity.org/sffd/fireboats/index.html

Should there become a job opening.
https://jobapscloud.com/SF/specs/classspecdisplay.asp?ClassNumber=H120

Last time I was on Pier 45 I was helping hook up 3 horses to a steam fired pumper. It was only rated at 1000 gallons a minute. The complete story for another time.

Don’t ships still put out fire wires so a tug can pull them off? I’m pretty surprised they wouldn’t want to slide her out f the way for better access for the fireboats/tugs with water cannons.

2 Likes

Wonder in all that chaos and heat anyone was there to let the lines go, if they even looked at that possibility. Whether they were synthetic or wire. If close enough, the synthetic would melt.

From the video I’ve seen it went from no outward sign of trouble to inferno relativity quickly. Look at the time stamp at the bottom.

The steering gear is powered by steam and I wouldn’t want to be messing around with an air compressor or try to raise steam while flames lick the side of the ship. I think leaving her there and taking a defensive approach was probably the lowest risk course of action for all involved and the environment.

All of the latest news I’ve seen is that the ship made it through with no serious damage.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/23/us/san-francisco-pier-45-fire/index.html
https://citizen.com/-M80F1z4LGwgzJJRtMe4

I wonder if that end of the pier will be condemned and if they’ll have to move the O’Brien?

Yeah that’s what the tug is for. In port in Norfolk we always hung a wire with an eye off the outboard bow so a tug could grab and take a dead ship tow in case of fire. Granted that was more if the ship was on fire to prevent spread to the pier.

1 Like

Seems like a hail mary play that would be reserved for tankers which pose a far greater risk to the surrounding community and environment. When the Stolt Groenland blew up in Ulsan they left her moored. I think it would be preferable if the fire spread to the ship to fight the fire along side the pier due to the better access than in the middle of the bay. Plus how safe would it be to tow a ship without positive control of the rudder?

The ship is dead in an operational sense… Hopefully “If” it is towed off of the pier the ships rudder is locked midships.

The fire was on the evening news here. The ship was undamaged but the warehouse on the pier was full of seafood.:disappointed_relieved:

I’ll bet it stinks to high heaven. I remember when that lobstah place in Boston not far from BSR burned down, been about 10 years or so now, it stank like you wouldn’t believe. Combination of torched and rotting lobster, water, soaked wood and insulation. Yuck. Glad the ship is ok and nobody’s hurt

The O’Brien has been moved to Pier 35 w/o significant damage. No word on the Pampanito, the WWII submarine also moored at Pier 45. Maybe not as seaworthy as the O’Brien.

Saw where the tug company moved it for free. Good on them.