SS Jeremiah O'Brien Volunteerism

I was curious if anyone on the forum had volunteered on the Jeremiah O’Brien before? If so, would you be willing to share your impressions? I live in the bay area and I’ve been considering it. I re-enlisted for the Navy onboard in the 90’s and I’ve always been sentimental about that ship.

Thanks,

Robert

I think the guys work primarily on Wednesdays. You can either go on board and ask them or go to/call the SUP hall on 1st and Harrison. A few of the old timers(and occasionally others) work on her. Ask for Roy Tufono, the new port agent. He might be able to point you in the right direction. You’ll learn a lot of old school sailing skills and hear some great stories.

Thanks for the reply. I’ll touch bases with Roy and drop by the ship.

I found Roy and he introduced me to David downstairs in training. Thanks again for the referral.

No problem. Dave Larsen? He taught me the proper way to splice wire. To bad we don’t get to utilize such skills in today’s merchants. Have fun.

It was Dave Larsen. Nice guy. It sounds like there is no shortage of things to do on the O’Brian. I think there might be a needlegun with my name on it :wink:

That’s a good thing. I think they have plenty of docents.

I made it aboard for steaming weekend today. A little something for the steam engineers out there:

I made it aboard for steaming weekend today. A little something for the steam engineers out there: