Navy Announces Punishments for Bonhomme Richard Fire, SECNAV Censures Former

“This fire could have been prevented with adequate oversight into the ship’s material condition and the crew’s readiness to combat a fire.”

1 Like

@Salvatore_Mercoglian has a good update on this:

Yikes! That is an appropriately passionate synopsis from Sal. His opinion that it could happen again today is particularly poignant, and he’s likely not wrong.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not sure how to link to them but @Salvatore_Mercoglian has a series of great videos about the incident.

And he helped a lot with these articles too:

I guess what concerns me is not the fact that it could easily happen again, but a lack of confidence that the capacity exists to effect the change required to prevent that reoccurrence. Since you spent time on drillships at the same company I did @john, I know you are likely intimately familiar with quick-shares and incident reports, both internal and from industry. They often seem topical and relevant at the time, but lost thereafter. We had a system in place to bring them to surface again at set future dates, but the farther from the actual event date, the lesser the lesson impact. And that was a company with 20-30 ships. So honestly, how can one expect an organization the size of the US Navy to truly learn from this event and create the change necessary to prevent a reoccurrence? Particularly with the USN’s style of shifting officers through commands like a revolving door. How do you retain that training over time, in the locations where it’s relavent? (Not questions I necessarily expect answers to)

Maybe I just don’t have the experience to conceptualize successful large organization leadership. I suppose there are plenty of successful, large, low incindent-rate private shipping companies, but they don’t have the un-told layers of hierarchal bullshit of the US military. It blows my mind that an Admiral has to call another Admiral to try to get a Captain to save his ship because he is part of a different command. That is an organizational failure to rival the rest of the failures of that day.

2 Likes