The latest from USCG

[QUOTE=rjbpilot;86288]I took the ECDIS class in 2011. When applying for Master NC I consulted Chuck Kakuska about the one year rule. He said The NMC doesn’t even want to see that stuff yet. Just wondered how relevant it was and if it was even being monitored or enforced at this point. Does not seem to be.[/QUOTE]

Now, I’m talking about meeting advanced navigation, not submission of the ECDIS certificate. If you took it, you are good. That’s a done deal. The one-year is with some course approvals, under the old training requirements of “advance navigation”, ECDIS and Navigation, each were 5 days of class needing to be taken within a year of each other to meet the requirement.

If you took a USCG approved ECDIS course, then it’s done.

I have an application in with the cg right now. They called me this morning to ask if I have taken ecdis, since I have not they are putting “limited to non ecdis equiped vessels” or something of that nature.

[QUOTE=rjbpilot;86269]Where is the directive stated in STCW that the Advanced Navigation course has to be taken within one year of completing an approved ECDIS course? .[/QUOTE]

The requirement was to take “Advanced Navigation.” MITAGS and PMI elected to meet this requirement with two separate courses, “Voyage Planning & Electronic Navigation” and ECDIS. The requirement to take within a year originated with PMI and MITAGS, but is consistent with NMC policy on courses given in parts. The requirement is in the course curricula and in the approval from the NMC. The approvaL you quote isn’t from the MITAGS/PMI courses, it’s from another school that elected top have a single, 80-hour course.

Per the policy letter, the NMC is accepting ECDIS certificates now, and if you don’t provide one you’ll get the not valid for ECDIS after 12/31/2016 limitation.

That should not occur until 12/31/2016. You should call them back. Not trying to insult you, but are you sure it was not GMDSS? That would be true in that case. You would receive a “limited to non GMDSS equipped vessels” endorsement.

[QUOTE=rjbpilot;86306]That should not occur until 12/31/2016. You should call them back. Not trying to insult you, but are you sure it was not GMDSS? That would be true in that case. You would receive a “limited to non GMDSS equipped vessels” endorsement.[/QUOTE]

They were asking about ECDIS. Per the policy letter, mariners will get a limitation “not valid for ECDIS after 12/31/2016” if they don’t provide evidence of having approved ECDIS training. In order to save the trouble of having to re-apply to remove that limitation before the MMC expires, they are making certain the limitation is appropriate before they put it on the STCW endorsement(s).