The last minute is here for Leadership & Mgr skills STCW Gap class

Just finished this class at West Coast Maritime. I was a bit worried after having talked to many people who had taken the class at various schools across the country and felt that it was the biggest waste of time since GMDSS, but this was an outstanding class that has equipped me with some invaluable tools I will employ in my career. I think the rest of my classmates shared the same sentiment.
From what I am hearing the time is now if you want get the cert into NMC and endorsement back before 01 Jan.
Virgil has a class in Vegas next week and felt he deserved a plug.

I just took it recently. Mine consisted of much sea story telling and drinking of coffee followed by powerpoints. I feel very managerial now.

I took mine online. I enjoyed being on my couch drinking beer watching football while taking the class

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;191502]I just took it recently. Mine consisted of much sea story telling and drinking of coffee followed by powerpoints. I feel very managerial now.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the class at Delgado.

[QUOTE=brjones;191503]I took mine online. I enjoyed being on my couch drinking beer watching football while taking the class[/QUOTE]
HOW? WHERE? TELL ME EVERYTHING.

Please!

And this is mandatory for every Mate and master of towing ? Or vessels over a certain tonnage ? Or for Mates and masters currently holding stcw certificates

[QUOTE=Tugslasthitch;191526]And this is mandatory for every Mate and master of towing ? Or vessels over a certain tonnage ? Or for Mates and masters currently holding stcw certificates[/QUOTE]

if you hold a license for greater then 200grt, I believe you are still allowed to serve as a watchstanding officer on a vessel of under 200grt after Jan 1 without having the gap closing requirements completed. Frankly since the DAUNTLESS is less than 200 tons, I am not planning to complete the gap closing until my license comes up for renewal in late 2018. Of course, this will preclude my even looking for a position on a vessel over 200tons until then but being all in with the DAUNTLESS and all that I still have to do to get her ready for next summer plus all the marketing I have to get going on, I do not even see being able to go back to sea even if there were jobs out there.

[QUOTE=c.captain;191528]if you hold a license for greater then 200grt, I believe you are still allowed to serve as a watchstanding officer on a vessel of under 200grt after Jan 1 without having the gap closing requirements completed. Frankly since the DAUNTLESS is less than 200 tons, I am not planning to complete the gap closing until my license comes up for renewal in late 2018. Of course, this will preclude my even looking for a position on a vessel over 200tons until then but being all in with the DAUNTLESS and all that I still have to do to get her ready for next summer plus all the marketing I have to get going on, I do not even see being able to go back to sea even if there were jobs out there.[/QUOTE]

I’m probably wrong but if you renew before next year you will not have to do the Advanced fire fighting, BT and Proficiency in life boat till 5 years later. That’s why I renewed early instead of just sending in my gap closure stuff.

I may not be in the oil field next year the way things are going, so I didn’t want to go to schools while unemployed.

I took it through the MEBA school

I just renewed so I am good until 2021, technically my license doesn’t have a tonnage restriction on it just say mate of towing near coastal ??

Open ended bitch session and sea story bonanza about the most audacious shit everyone in the room who had “been there / done that” had seen over the years. Skippers and Chiefs in the class that had been bobbing around for way longer than the concept of safe spaces was even a brain fart. I get it. It’s the flavor of the month for the IMO. I wouldn’t call the exercise beneficial though.

[QUOTE=Tugslasthitch;191548]I just renewed so I am good until 2021, technically my license doesn’t have a tonnage restriction on it just say mate of towing near coastal ??[/QUOTE]

Mate of Towing isn’t an STCW license so you don’t have to take any STCW classes.

People with STCW II/2 or II/3 need the 5 day class and people with II/1 (OICNW) need the 1 day class or assessments.

does that go for master of towing as well

[ATTACH]4506[/ATTACH]

Thats what they offer for online courses in 2016.

[QUOTE=Tugslasthitch;191562]does that go for master of towing as well[/QUOTE]

Master of Towing is a US only license. Do you have an STCW component to your license? If so, what does it say?

no stcw , so once I sit for mate 500tn I will need all these stcw and gap closing courses ?

yep it satisfies the ERM and leadership

[QUOTE=Tugslasthitch;191569]no stcw , so once I sit for mate 500tn I will need all these stcw and gap closing courses ?[/QUOTE]

To get the STCW endorsement, yes.

Can I get a 500tn master near coastal without holding any stcw endorsements , if so all I need is , ab, fire fighting and flashing light and radar?

Nothing specifies a requirement for AB or Radar now on the current checklist. I think pre-gap closure there was a requirement for those 2 among other courses that were necessary. My timing could be off. BRM being one of the courses I’m sure.