The last minute is here for Leadership & Mgr skills STCW Gap class

Look at the checklist. To get approved to test for a NATIONAL only 500 grt, all you need is basic and advanced firefighting.

Ok Thanks yes looking for National only

You can’t use it without STCW though.

That doesn’t make since , why be able to hold it if you can’t use it

I don’t know, but that’s the way it is.

I should have said you can’t use it on a vessel greater than 200 GRT or 500 GT outside the boundary line without STCW. Basically, without the corresponding STCW endorsement (II/2) the 500 ton is equivalent to a 200 ton license one you leave the harbor.

Preaching to the choir, but that’s how it is. You need the national license regardless. If you can get it get it then worry about handling your stcw side of it down the road when you can.

Definitely.

It’s sais if I hold master of towing I only need to take a limited exam , I’m assuming that’s rules if the road , chart test , and deck and navigation general

Right…I think all you have to do is rules, deck general and a combo deck safety/nav gen module…don’t have to worry about tnav or charting. Jump on it!

Y’all seem to have short and/or selective memories. In the first iteration of the regulation change for STCW 2010 (“NPRM”) the Coast Guard proposed to make the national endorsement and the STCW co-requisites, you would have to get both. There were more responses about opposed to “getting rid” of the Master 500 license and making STCW a co-requisite than any other aspect of the rule, perhaps more than all others combined. So the next version (“SNPRM”), the relevant parts of which became the final rule, separated STCW from the national endorsement (license). It’s that way because you (as in the majority of commenters to the rule) wanted it that

1 Like

So I can test for this and hold the 500 ton master mates license and then Start working on all the stcw requirements even though I only want a national license ???But untill then I just can’t sail under the 500tn license

Correct.

I’m still unsure why you’d only want the national license as it’s effectively useless outside the boundary line on anything over 200 GRT.

It’s a pile of crap, but . . .

There are lots of small employers that only need a 200 license for their boats, but they think it’s better to hire guys with a 500 ton license. Many of these small employers do not understand that the 500 ton license isnt legal offshore without all the STCW. A lot of small employers also think that “having STCW” just means having a BT certificate. Therefore, it is probably worth it to have just a 500 ton National license.

Especially in his case since he only has to take a 3 module exam for the upgrade. Why not?

I know it’s a pain in the ass and daunting when it comes to all the stcw requirements. I have been there as many other folks on the forum here… Not to sound corny but the longest journey begins with a single step. I like quick and instant gratification as much as the next guy but hell with how convoluted shit has become we need to remind ourselves to have patience and keep moving forward with realistic expectations.

I want to take steps to getting a bigger license because my license only reads master of towing near coastal, so I am only limited running towing vessels . So I want to be able to have other options

And now the Nmc told me my master of towing is unlimited tonnage. I had to print out the conversation of that

It is and it isn’t.

Master of Towing is unlimited for Inland, but only 300 tons for near coastal or ocean. Unless, you also have a larger near coastal license that is not restricted to towing.

It’s nearly a moot point because there are so few near coastal tugs over 200 tons.

What non-towing jobs exist that actually require a 500 ton license?

Other than commercial fishing, oil spill response, research, and the oil patch, I can’t think of any, and there are damn few of those jobs available.

The last I checked a 500 GRT can have OSV 3,000 ITC added to it, but all those operators require for STCW anyway.

The Officer’s Competency Act applies to all vessels over 200 GRT.