[QUOTE=bc9930;99736][B]Black Gang[HR][/HR][/B]THE BLACK GANG

A song of heroes I'm going to sing,
Of days now gone when coal was king.
Of men, who if you met them ashore,
You'd never let them through your door.

Engineers would boast when in their pots
Of how they'd achieved so many knots.
But when, with logic, you boiled it down

'Twas the Black Gang who deserved the crown.

Most came from the slums of deepsea ports,
With drinking and whoring their only sports.
Men from the Mersey, men from the Clyde,
Men from Cardiff and others besides.

Firemen and Trimmers they were named,
Worked in conditions to make you ashamed.
In searing heat that wracked the lungs,
Drenched in sweat with swollen tongues.

Sliced, raked and pitched with all their might,
Till grates were clean and fires were bright.
Hard, grim men wose ideas of fun
Would have struck terror into a Hun.

No officers these, in uniform suits
But singlets, pants and hobnail boots.
Belt buckle turned towards the back,
Between the teeth an old piece of sack.

Though they were rough, they had their pride,
Contempt for Juniors they wouldn't hide,
But give them a man who was tough and fair
They'd maybe respect him, tho' twas rare!

They're history now, their days are no more,
Only a part of an ancient lore.
So we'll pause a moment to give them their due,
They power'd the ships. They turned the screw.[/QUOTE]

I sole this, does that make me bad.

[QUOTE=Too bad steam is gone;99740]Worked with a mate at Keystone who worked on the lakes as a coal passer on a historic vessel on the UP Michigan. He saw the light and it wasn’t in the boiler.[/QUOTE]

I posted a picture about this.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;100406]I sole this, does that make me bad.[/QUOTE]

Nah…

See if you can figure out which one is me.

Aboard the American Export Lines vessel, the SS [I]Examiner[/I], May, 1960.

[ATTACH]3063[/ATTACH]

A hint:

[ATTACH]3064[/ATTACH]

There was a time we really had a U, S. Merchant Marine.

I deleted my post, and picture, because I received some flack on another forum. The problem seems to be that the Cadet in question is not me. If it’s not then who is it? It sure looks like me back when I was 19 years old. When we post pictures we must fully understand our pictures are spread all over the web. This is indeed me, the young man with a black face. The picture was sent to me, via email, by the son, who is also a Marine Engineer, whose Father was an Engineer aboard the the SS [I]Export Examiner[/I] when the photo was taken back in 1960. I remember the day. An office person from American Export Lines was aboard the SS[I] Export Examiner[/I], in Hoboken, she was taking pictures. This is only one of the black-n-white photos she took. I recall I was not amused. So now, I’ll repost the picture, whatever it’s worth. This is what KP use to be. I know, it’s not fair, times have changed.

[ATTACH]3070[/ATTACH]

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;101074]I deleted my post, and picture, because I received some flack on another forum. The problem seems to be that the Cadet in question is not me. If it’s not then who is it? It sure looks like me back when I was 19 years old. When we post pictures we must fully understand our pictures are spread all over the web. This is indeed me, the young man with a black face. The picture was sent to me, via email, by the son, who is also a Marine Engineer, whose Father was an Engineer aboard the the SS [I]Export Examiner[/I] when the photo was taken back in 1960. I remember the day. An office person from American Export Lines was aboard the SS[I] Export Examiner[/I], in Hoboken, she was taking pictures. This is only one of the black-n-white photos she took. I recall I was not amused. So now, I’ll repost the picture, whatever it’s worth. This is what KP use to be. I know, it’s not fair, times have changed.

[ATTACH]3070[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

Excellent. I recall looking much the same several times as a Cadet (and oh, so many times afterwards), especially after hand cleaning the superheater tubes on the LESLIE LYKES. . . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;101163]Excellent. I recall looking much the same several times as a Cadet (and oh, so many times afterwards), especially after hand cleaning the superheater tubes on the LESLIE LYKES. . . .[/QUOTE]

I do relate.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;101164]I do relate.[/QUOTE]

I have to try and find an old Lykes Lines company mag from 79. There is a picture of a few of us sitting on the No. 5 hatch cover eating our lunch (we weren’t allowed into the officer’s mess that day), covered with soot since we were in the middle of a sootblower cleaning operation. We did one while at anchor, up the river in Borneo, and then the other while moored in Hong Kong, offloading bulk grain to a lightering barge in Hong Kong. . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;101171]I have to try and find an old Lykes Lines company mag from 79. There is a picture of a few of us sitting on the No. 5 hatch cover eating our lunch (we weren’t allowed into the officer’s mess that day), covered with soot since we were in the middle of a sootblower cleaning operation. We did one while at anchor, up the river in Borneo, and then the other while moored in Hong Kong, offloading bulk grain to a lightering barge in Hong Kong. . .[/QUOTE]

Let me encourage you to locate the picture as I would very much enjoy looking at what we were, especially in our filthy work clothes.
Yea, I’m strange. :stuck_out_tongue:

I myself have had some days like that. Soot blowers were the bane of my existence for a period of time.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;101244]I myself have had some days like that. Soot blowers were the bane of my existence for a period of time.[/QUOTE]

Yes, those chain drives were interesting, weren’t they.
I use to forget what was next in line so I started over and still forgot. WTF, I ain’t Mister Perfect. :slight_smile:

Well, we had very clean tubes after I got on the job.

Saw this posted:

Job Description:
Engineer needed for 150’ steam powered paddle wheeler sightseeing vessel in Seattle. Steam experience not required but desirable. Full or part time positions are available. Must have USCG Engineer License, DDE 1000 hp or higher. Any unlimited assistant License also works, steam rating not needed. Plant consists of 3 gensets, 2 Clayton steam generators and 2 reciprocating steam engines built in 1884. Unique vessel and a fun job, home every night. Applicants must live within commuting distance of Seattle. Pay DOE. Relief Captains needed also, must have 100 ton and experience.

[QUOTE=seadog!;101340]Saw this posted:

Job Description:
Engineer needed for 150’ steam powered paddle wheeler sightseeing vessel in Seattle. Steam experience not required but desirable. Full or part time positions are available. Must have USCG Engineer License, DDE 1000 hp or higher. Any unlimited assistant License also works, steam rating not needed. Plant consists of 3 gensets, 2 Clayton steam generators and 2 reciprocating steam engines built in 1884. Unique vessel and a fun job, home every night. Applicants must live within commuting distance of Seattle. Pay DOE. Relief Captains needed also, must have 100 ton and experience.[/QUOTE]

Imagine that, someone might be fucking with us ~
Hey, I like it, the 2 recip steam engines, but alas, my License died on the vine. c. captain is available.

[QUOTE=cmakin;101171]I have to try and find an old Lykes Lines company mag from 79. There is a picture of a few of us sitting on the No. 5 hatch cover eating our lunch (we weren’t allowed into the officer’s mess that day), covered with soot since we were in the middle of a sootblower cleaning operation. We did one while at anchor, up the river in Borneo, and then the other while moored in Hong Kong, offloading bulk grain to a lightering barge in Hong Kong. . .[/QUOTE] I didn’t know, or forgot, Lykes had a company rag. I sent email to an engineer pal I sailed with, he had lots of time with Lykes. I asked him to take a look. If he finds the picture I will send it to you. In addition I have a KP classmate who sailed permanent Captain with Lykes. I’ll ask him to look also.

Oh yea, must be wrong, no resemblance what so ever.

[ATTACH]3082[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3083[/ATTACH]