The best stopper knot for this situation

so I’ve got the bitter end of a 1" 100’ line. I have to use that end to tie a stopper from a 2 1/2 hauser to an H-bitt.

I’m only familiar with the length of stopper line where you get 8’ long 1 1/2" poly, whip it at 3’ and 5’, unlay the ends, braid it, and use that 8’ long stopper of “soft stuff” to do a west coast stopper.
8888888888888888<>===========<>8888888888888888

BUT what do you do when you only have the bitter end of a longer line? Certainly not ideal, but I bet there’s some good ideas out there.

maybe?

[QUOTE=mrdrew;88023]so I’ve got the bitter end of a 1" 100’ line. I have to use that end to tie a stopper from a 2 1/2 hauser to an H-bitt.

I’m only familiar with the length of stopper line where you get 8’ long 1 1/2" poly, whip it at 3’ and 5’, unlay the ends, braid it, and use that 8’ long stopper of “soft stuff” to do a west coast stopper.

BUT what do you do when you only have the bitter end of a longer line? Certainly not ideal, but I bet there’s some good ideas out there.

maybe?[/QUOTE]

I’m having trouble imagining a scenario where this might come up… But, since stoppers work on friction, whatever will provide a lot of friction might work, perhaps a bunch of round turns around the line, or perhaps half hitches, or a combination of the two might work.

Midshipmans hitch or rolling hitch. Add turns after the hitch.

Got Ashley Book of Knots?..pg 265 fig 1464-Single Stopper; fig 1465-Rolling Hitch; also pg 266 figs 1466-1469 look good.
[ATTACH]2658[/ATTACH][ATTACH]2659[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2662[/ATTACH]
Here’s the basic situation, the deck layout where you run into this problem.

[ATTACH]2660[/ATTACH]
There’s another problem too. On a bowline, only one part is the working end. You’re not supposed to work on the wrong part of the bowline.

[ATTACH]2661[/ATTACH]
So this is a janky knot, but you put the eye in the working end, then take a long bight from the standing end and do the rabbit and the hole in that working end loop. It’s ugly, but at least that way I’d be pulling on the correct part of the bowline.

There must be a more graceful knot for this…

I do not have my Ashley’s handy up here…

Why not use a round turn and two half hitches on a bight?

Does anyone have a good diagram of a west coast stopper?

Any of you prefer other stoppers (e.g. Chinese)?

[QUOTE=john;122302]Does anyone have a good diagram of a west coast stopper?

Any of you prefer other stoppers (e.g. Chinese)?[/QUOTE]

I’m an engineer and I know the Chinese stopper! Is that dangerous, or what?

Biggest thing to know, future ABs: Make Sure the Heaving Line is attached to the Mooring Line! (that’s no joke.)

Or you will endure weeks on weeks of people making fun of you, got it?

Cat

[QUOTE=mrdrew;88023]so I’ve got the bitter end of a 1" 100’ line. I have to use that end to tie a stopper from a 2 1/2 hauser to an H-bitt.

maybe?[/QUOTE]

lay the 1" alongside the line to be stopped with the bitter end away from the bitt. the bitter end should be 5-6 feet past the beginning of the stopper. begin wrapping the 1" over the 2.5" hawser back toward the bitt burying the 1" onto the hawser tightly. you are wrapping the bitter end back over both toward the bitt seven or eight times then half hitch the last wrap on the hawser only. leaving the bitter end closest to the bitt. the strain will be distributed evenly on the hawser with a bit more on the first wrap, but no matter how tight it gets you will be able to untie. it is a rolling hitch with more wraps.

John, for the west coast there is a good video of it on you tube, look up rat tail stopper knot/how to tie a rat tail stopper. the first part is the clincher, the rest is crossing the stopper under then over and repeating until there is just enough left to wind the two together and hold.

[QUOTE=“catherder”] I’m an engineer and I know the Chinese stopper! Is that dangerous, or what?

That’s as scary as seeing an ET with a hammer

how much strain are we talking?

A half hitch and a bunch of round turns will hold the thing in most cases.

I also keep a piece of 1" (maybe 7/8") line handy with an eye in one end…choke the hawser and a bunch of turns and make it off to a bit. Works fine for basic stuff that isn’t going to be under a huge strain.