What Are The Most Common Knots Used Aboard Ship?

What would yal say are the most common and most used knots on a sea vessle?

Bowline & clove hitch for me.

tying my shoes…

otherwise the kind that are used with rope or twine.

Bowline, Half hitch, clove hitch.

Usually around 12 knots depending on wind and current… Ummmm ohhh… If you can’t tie a knot tie a lot!

Bowline, half hitch, square knot.

And believe it or not, most sailors do NOT even understand the correct way to tie half hitches! There is a distinct pattern that must be followed when tying two half hitches. Most sailors will tie one in the opposite direction of the other. This negates the holding capacity of the knot.

Any knot uses a ‘binding’ hitch as a first turn. Often this first hitch is done wrong.

The evidence is seeing something come loose, or loosen.
Improperly tied knots are the reason.
Unprofessional seamen cause this.

The solution is to learn from an experienced seaman. Unfortunately most companies have eliminated senior deckhands for training.

That is called a cow hitch; I have never known one to slip but I normally use them for different purposes than half hitches.

Nope. A cow hitch is a cow hitch. A half hitch is different. Most mis application I have seen involves tying something (like a hose) with a rolling hitch. The last turn you take is a half hitch to lock the knot up. I can’t count how many times I have seen guys doing it backwards. I walked up to a pilot ladder that the crew had tied. One guy had tied one side correctly. The other side was a couple round turns on a hand rail and two half hitches around the rail going in the opposite direction from the round turns. I stepped on the ladder and the one side dropped about 8" until most of the weight was on the other side. The tankerman looked at me like I fucked with their knots! Anyway. After I re tied the ladder we had knot tying lessons. And this is for one licensed a.b. and one unlicensed a.b.!

This is akin to smaller boats when a locking hitch is put on a cleat. Half the time people don’t realize there is a right way and a wrong way to put a locking hitch on too!

Nope. A cow hitch is a cow hitch. A half hitch is different. Most mis application I have seen involves tying something (like a hose) with a rolling hitch. The last turn you take is a half hitch to lock the knot up. I can’t count how many times I have seen guys doing it backwards. I walked up to a pilot ladder that the crew had tied. One guy had tied one side correctly. The other side was a couple round turns on a hand rail and two half hitches around the rail going in the opposite direction from the round turns. I stepped on the ladder and the one side dropped about 8" until most of the weight was on the other side. The tankerman looked at me like I screwed with their knots! Anyway. After I re tied the ladder we had knot tying lessons. And this is for one licensed a.b. and one unlicensed a.b.!

This is akin to smaller boats when a locking hitch is put on a cleat. Half the time people don’t realize there is a right way and a wrong way to put a locking hitch on too!

Scandinavian charcoal farmers knot…and don’t forget the universal knot removal tool, your knife. for those times after the deckhand puts a granny knot on a line that takes a load.

[QUOTE=CaptStew;77984]Scandinavian charcoal farmers knot…and don’t forget the universal knot removal tool, your knife. for those times after the deckhand puts a granny knot on a line that takes a load.[/QUOTE]

Obviously you don’t work in the oil field, or work for one of the big oil companies. Out here you get caught with a kinve, you are on the next chopper headed to the beach.

You may think this is a joke but we have to use safety scissors, because we might cut ourself’s with a dreaded knife. And don’t forget to do a tool box talk, fill out a JSEA, TRA, and then get a permit to work before using them either.

The ever prevelant hatchet hitch!

How about the hope knot?..hope that motherf#$@r stays!

What?! You aren’t allowed to carry a knife? What kind of crap is that? Did I miss the sarcasm Chief?

[QUOTE=Bowser90;77932]What would yal say are the most common and most used knots on a sea vessle?[/QUOTE]

The knot I use the most would be the “Arkansas Fuck Me Knot”. I believe they are starting to incorporate this one into the A/B qualifications.

I’m trying to figure out if this is a noun or a verb.

We use knots, bends and hitches. Knowing which to use when is an important part of seamanship.

This is a pretty cool website:

http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Probably my most used knot is a “Brick Knot”, not found in Ashley’s.
Used by brick masons for bundling bricks.
It’s actually just 3 overhand knots tied in a particular pattern.
Some Chefs use it for tieing chicken legs together, I don’t know what they call it.

It uses the very least amount of line but has to be cut.
Guaranteed not to slip, or come undone.

[QUOTE=seadog!;78089]We use knots, bends and hitches. Knowing which to use when is an important part of seamanship.

This is a pretty cool website:

http://www.animatedknots.com/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Probably my most used knot is a “Brick Knot”, not found in Ashley’s.
Used by brick masons for bundling bricks.
It’s actually just 3 overhand knots tied in a particular pattern.
Some Chefs use it for tieing chicken legs together, I don’t know what they call it.

It uses the very least amount of line but has to be cut.
Guaranteed not to slip, or come undone.[/QUOTE]

Neat website - thanks - gosh, to think all my life I got by with the Square Knot - Sometimes even Half Hitches. I’m an engineer so the Board of Many Knots didn’t interest me much yet I did enjoy the staging of chain falls, and guiding ropes, to secure heavy equipment for removal to the machine shop. Done correctly, all is cool, done poorly, watch out below.

I’ve used this one quite a bit.

No sarcasm. In training for my stcw that was brought up quite a bit that only safety scissors are allowed.