The banishment of c.captain and ombugge

Excuse me?

He might have been out at sea!

Talk not to me of blasphemy, man; I’d strike the sun if it insulted me. For could the sun do that, then could I do the other; since there is ever a sort of fair play herein, jealousy presiding over all creations.

But not my master, man, is even that fair play. Who’s over me? Truth hath no confines. Take off thine eye! More intolerable than fiends’ glaring is a doltish stare!

What feels good is not always the smart play. “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”

You come home, make some tea, sit down in your armchair and all around there’s silence. Everyone decides for themselves whether that’s loneliness or freedom…

4 Likes

Too bad about both ccaptain and Ombugge

1 Like

well said. Demand for censorship and safe spaces have overtaken the demand for freedom in our country. Of course, this is a privately run entity and thus its owners are free to banish people as they see fit, but it’s really a microcosm of the direction of our culture.

2 Likes

Earl has made an important point here:

On some threads off-topic doesn’t matter much, like the Coffee in the CFR for example. But there are other topics that should stay low bs and on topic.

Snowflakes and safe spaces aside how much is gcaptain willing to pay for a platform for mariners to exchange insults?

4 Likes

And those topics probably represent 95 percent of the content, they are low on BS and on topic. The other 5 percent are easy to spot and phenomenally easy to ignore. Except for the shock to the emotional state of a group of hypersensitive snowflakes who feel they have to complain and shut down the thread, that 5 percent is completely harmless.

As Hawsepiper wrote: " …it’s really a microcosm of the direction of our culture." The direction of the snowflake mentality leads to truly harmful ends and seeing it happen here is a loss to all of us and should be seen for what it is. I want people on this site who contribute knowledge and who come for information, not to censor or whine about what they must actively and voluntarily choose to read.

More damage has been done to this site by banning Ombugge and c.captain than both of them could ever do. Undo the ban and end this bullshit.

9 Likes

I would argue that the scuttlebutt type topics are what drive a lot of traffic to the site. If this place becomes just a archive for technical discussion and incident reports, it becomes…well…boring. Not saying those items aren’t of great importance and value, but for the average day-to-day web surfing mariner, if that’s all that’s here, it will probably get bypassed. Not just everybody is deeply interested in “parametric rolling of a car carrier in head seas”

So, I would counter, how much is gCaptain willing to pay for decreased traffic?

1 Like

Hear, hear!

Both of these gents brought their own good and bad to the forum and that always kept it interesting to see which direction they were going to take it. To be fair, it was predominantly in one direction all the time. That may have ruffled some feathers but at least it made daily reading worth coming back for.

I abhor censorship in any form and this forum has mostly been free from it for the most part. Now. Who knows where it goes from here.

6 Likes

This is what I posted:

This response:

I agree that the forum doesn’t have to be dry and boring, it’s just that some threads should stay on-topic and bs free.

In general don’t hijack threads,

I would say be guided by the thread title and/or category. For example the “Offshore spending” thread is a general topic. Trouble shooting an air clutch should stay on topic for others to use as a reference.

New topic / new thread. The MSC Zoe thread for example should have been split between the incident and the clean-up. If a report comes out it should be a new thread. Shouldn’t make people scroll through 140+ posts first.

3 Likes

I would not have banned them if they stuck to commenting on BS topics of little importance.

Not much has changed. This forum is still run by people who share your views on censorship. We still issue warnings before banning people.

I’m reminded of a couple of small town drive ins’ that have the political posters & spotted owl helper boxes on public display. Consequently the patronage is of a limited ‘character’!
I also abhor any censorship but the fact is potential members and perhaps a wider “patronage” are dissuaded from participating because of this ‘‘small town’’ mentality that sometimes occupies one subject or another.
I have no problem with this occasional butting of heads for i simply ignore it and move on, I often find it entertaining too but evidently enough people don’t see it that way.

1 Like

The departure off both left a bit of a vacuum. Like many at sea I have always avoided discussions on religion or politics but I had to hand credit where it was due, both certainty did their research and I learned a bit. After more than a couple of summers on this earth I am more than capable of separating the BS and I can still stand to be corrected and What is most important i can still laugh out loud.

I’ll somewhat agree with you. On the other hand, I think it would be a better world if we could all talk to each other without making people feel stupid.

5 Likes

The only person who can make a person feel stupid is that person. Feeling stupid is an internal issue and no one else can be held responsible.

If someone has a learning experience or a discussion that leaves them feeling like they missed the point or “lost” the argument then they alone created those feelings and should be adult enough to own them without blaming or giving others control over their emotions.

So it is not the performance that offends, it is the stage?

Personally, I thought a pissing match about the flavor of certain statistics was a topic of very little importance that deteriorated into BS not worth reading and certainly not worth suffering any offense.

The bans, on the other hand, are offensive but not so much as to beg Mommy to make little brother or sister stop being mean.

Until the readership actually must pay to click on a post it is a bit of a stretch to claim anyone was harmed in any way. Anyone claiming harm needs to get a life and grow up.

3 Likes

Yes and I no longer drink whilst posting. But what is the point of intentionally trying to irritate someone? I’ve never told anyone on here what they were doing was a waste of time, but it’s been done to me. I just think being rude and unsociable is a good way for people to get sick of you.

2 Likes

And I should’ve said “trying to make people feel stupid”. There’s a big difference between losing an argument and having someone say what you do is not worthwhile.