Tankerman ship dangerous cargo liquid courses

I am looking for the cheapest school to take this Tankerman course. It is not a pic for barge course I need. Most places I look (MPT, MiTag, and a few others) all run about $1000. Anyone get this endorsement in the past few years that could tell me where they went and how they like it would be great. I am taking the course to help my chances of getting back into blue water. I have my unlimited AB with stcw so I have the fire fighting covered. Also after I get the endorsement as an assist how long do I have to find a job and get the transfers signed off? I don’t want to take the course and then not be able to get the transfers completed in time.

I did mine at quality maritime. They now have a campus in Jacksonville as well as ST Pete. Cheapest around. Awesome instructors too. I’m not 100 percent but I believe there is not a time requirement for you to get loads/discharges however you do only have 5 years to get your course completion mailed in. Once you get it just mail it in and get tankerman assistant added to your book and then you should have as much time as you need to work on the loads/discharges.

Confusing as to what you want. Sounds like you want Tankerman-Assistant, not Tankerman PIC. Check the regulations. Meet basic requirements. Complete course, present certificate. No requirement for loads/discharges for TA. MAMA has a Tankship Familiarization (TA) 4 day course.

§13.401 Original application for tankerman-assistant endorsement.

Each applicant for a tankerman-assistant endorsement must—

(a) Be at least 18 years old;

(b) Apply on a form provided by the Coast Guard;

© Present evidence of passing a physical and medical examination according to §13.125 of this part;

(d) Present evidence of completion of an approved firefighting course providing training in the subjects identified in Table 1 to §13.121(g) of this part completed within 5 years of the date of application for the endorsement, unless he or she has previously submitted such a certificate for a license, tankerman endorsement, or officer endorsement on an MMC;

(e) Present evidence of either—

(1) Completion of an approved Tankship Familiarization course providing training in the subjects identified in Table 1 to §13.121(e) of this part within the previous 5 years. A course certificate used for original issuance or renewal of an endorsement cannot be used for a subsequent renewal of the same endorsement; or

(2) At least 90 days of deck service on tankships or self-propelled tank vessels certified to carry DL or LG appropriate to the endorsement applied for and successfully complete a professional examination for the topics identified in Table 1 to §13.121(e) of this part; and

(f) Be capable of speaking and understanding, in English, all instructions needed to commence, conduct, and complete a transfer of cargo.

[QUOTE=Enarubin;186168]I did mine at quality maritime. They now have a campus in Jacksonville as well as ST Pete. Cheapest around. Awesome instructors too. I’m not 100 percent but I believe there is not a time requirement for you to get loads/discharges however you do only have 5 years to get your course completion mailed in. Once you get it just mail it in and get tankerman assistant added to your book and then you should have as much time as you need to work on the loads/discharges.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Narubin, good info. I’ll check out Quality Marine. I will just mail my certificate to NMC after I take the course. I just didn’t want to waste my time and $1000 for a course that would be of no use after 1 year. With the way things are going in blue water it may be a while before I find a job back there again.

[QUOTE=SeaMonkey6969;186191]Thanks Narubin, good info. I’ll check out Quality Marine. I will just mail my certificate to NMC after I take the course. I just didn’t want to waste my time and $1000 for a course that would be of no use after 1 year. With the way things are going in blue water it may be a while before I find a job back there again.[/QUOTE]

The one year requirement only kicks in for those courses that are offered in lieu of an exam.

I believe that you would also need an Advance Firefighting course to qualify for tankerman. Unless you have someone that will train you as a tankerman and help you get your loads and discharges, you would be better off putting your money into other training. Do you have RFPNW?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;186555]I believe that you would also need an Advance Firefighting course to qualify for tankerman. Unless you have someone that will train you as a tankerman and help you get your loads and discharges, you would be better off putting your money into other training. Do you have RFPNW?[/QUOTE]

Basic Firefighting is sufficient. See 46 CFR 13.121(d)(2):

[I]
(d) The firefighting course required for an endorsement as—

(1) Tankerman-PIC (barge) is Tank Barge: Firefighting or basic firefighting; and

(2) Tankerman-PIC, tankerman-assistant, and tankerman-engineer is basic firefighting.[/I]

Yes I have my RFPNW, basic fire fighting, life boatman. I hold an unlimited AB but figured if I get my Tankerman assist it would help me find a job in blue water again.

[QUOTE=SeaMonkey6969;186666]Yes I have my RFPNW, basic fire fighting, life boatman. I hold an unlimited AB but figured if I get my Tankerman assist it would help me find a job in blue water again.[/QUOTE]

I am assuming that when you say blue water, you mean deep sea and that’d mean joining SIU. If so, SIU has that class for free and will re-imburse your travel expenses too. The only money that you spend is $1.00 on the laundry machine.

I know I’m a little late on this post. Just wanted to know as far as load and discharges am I able to obtain them on a tug. Couple months ago we had a job with weeks marine. I was loading fuel from a fuel dock and we would pump the fuel to them offshore

[QUOTE=Mjordan22;194560]I know I’m a little late on this post. Just wanted to know as far as load and discharges am I able to obtain them on a tug. Couple months ago we had a job with weeks marine. I was loading fuel from a fuel dock and we would pump the fuel to them offshore[/QUOTE]

Things might have changed but I have never heard of anyone having tug time count.

What tankerman endorsement are you after?

Was the fuel you transferred to them coming from a fuel tank that your tug uses or was it a dedicated cargo tank on the tug or a barge? Bunkering does not count unless the bunkers is a cargo.

Also do you know if there was a DOI completed for the transfer and were you part of that process?http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=fa922df37e32cb41bae14abe6eb6e817&rgn=div5&view=text&node=46:1.0.1.2.13&idno=46

These are all important questions that could better help you answer your questions.
The cfr on tankerman is.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=fa922df37e32cb41bae14abe6eb6e817&rgn=div5&view=text&node=46:1.0.1.2.13&idno=46

[QUOTE=Shipnc’s;194563]What tankerman endorsement are you after?

Was the fuel you transferred to them coming from a fuel tank that your tug uses or was it a dedicated cargo tank on the tug or a barge? Bunkering does not count unless the bunkers is a cargo.

Also do you know if there was a DOI completed for the transfer and were you part of that process?http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=fa922df37e32cb41bae14abe6eb6e817&rgn=div5&view=text&node=46:1.0.1.2.13&idno=46

These are all important questions that could better help you answer your questions.
The cfr on tankerman is.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=fa922df37e32cb41bae14abe6eb6e817&rgn=div5&view=text&node=46:1.0.1.2.13&idno=46[/QUOTE]

I believe a DOI was completed. I remember having to sign off on how much fuel we were pumping them and there was some type of checklist I had to go through. We transferred the fuel to a weeks dredge using our fuel tank

[QUOTE=Shipnc’s;194563]What tankerman endorsement are you after?

The cfr on tankerman is.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=fa922df37e32cb41bae14abe6eb6e817&rgn=div5&view=text&node=46:1.0.1.2.13&idno=46[/QUOTE]

I would like to have either tankerman PIC or tanker PIC barge. The fuel was transferred to them through our fuel tank. I believe a DOI was completed because I had to sign some paperwork on how much fuel we were transferring them to the weeks dredge. If I’m not able to qualify for PIC I’ll be ok with obtaining tankerman assist

Without service on a barge or tankship I wouldn’t expect you to qualify for either. You can get the assistantby taking a class, no loads or discharges re required. That is the best route to make yourself more marketable. You will need a class to get the PIC and 90 days aboard barge or tankship and loads and discharges. For assistant you need class 5 days I think. Or 90 days onboard barge or tankship.