Tanker Sola and Norwegian navy frigate Helga Ingstad collide off Norway

Sea room on the Stbd side did not seem to be a concern …

3 Likes

If I was driving a Z-peller tug I would just lay back on the line until I was required to do something. I’ve done the same thing on AHTS on a static tow with an off take tanker approaching an FPSO. There is no slack in tow line if you’re required to do something.
The way this collision happened has, given the expertise we expect in an armed force that the people in our Norwegian correspondent pay a great deal has just left me incredulous.

1 Like

So Norwegian frigate KNM Helge Ingstad (HI) is speeding at 17 knots in pitch darkness on a secret mission outside an oil terminal and sees four merchant ships/tug heading towards him on the port side. Instead of continuing at same course, HI decides to turn port (!!) between the four ships. The bulbous bow of fully loaded, double hull M/T Sola TS leaving the oil terminal then, while turning starboard, contacts HI’s starboard side and rips it open below waterline, HI heels to starboard and rips off the starboard anchor of Sola TS, bow flare of which rips open HI above waterline, etc. Sola TS has a tug attached aft. The fourth ship, M/S Vestbris had to turn 90° port to avoid HI, Sola TS and the tug. Luckily it was not HI ramming or ripping open the port side of Sola TS which could have resulted in an oil spill and fire.
I wonder if Norwegian military ships have Voyage and Voice Data Recorders fitted. They would tell what happened on the bridge of HI. Anyway, warships should stay far away from merchant vessels at all times.

As in most collisions I believe the blame will be shared, for sure, both HI and Sola TS could had done more to avoid collision.

The expression navigational exercise can mean a lot of things, apparently the AIS was of on HI, what instruments (lights, radar, etc…) that was on we don’t know, I have sailed on tankers with Captains that didn’t like to use the radar too much(before GPS and AIS).

All communication from Sola TS to third parties was in Norwegian although for sure none of the other parts of the bridge-team understood Norwegian. I have myself (Norwegian) many times been at the terminal, and all navigational talk were done in english, only chit chat not related to the safe navigation of the ship was done in Norwegian.

The main lifting will be done once the wreck is in position on the submerged barge, not by the cranes.
The damages to the hull and intact strength probably answer for the need to use two cranes with 4 main hooks to do the transfer from the present position to the barge, not the max. lifting capacity of the cranes with the booms in near vertical position and short range.

A post was split to a new topic: Ship Assist Tugs

It doesn’t look simple to remove the wreck. It rests at less than 20 meters depth on its side. It is a total loss. 7000 tons scrap is worth say $1.5 M. Two big barge cranes lifting it, still on the side, on a barge is just a waste of time and money. You have to install plenty wires, etc, around it. So it is best to leave it where it is, in my opinion. I would just remove any guns, ammunition, fuel and oil aboard.

Tks for posting the chart By-C. Total lack of situational awareness on HI…

1 Like

I have finally resolved the enigma …

:wink:

Well… there are a few antennas and light bulbs to salvage ! :thinking:

Actually it is the other way around. Hence the saying “If it is gray, stay away”.

1 Like

Just Saying …but in the news recently there was a report the the Russians were interfering with the European GPS system during the NATO exercise. Hmmmmm any adverse impact on navigation in this collision?

The revision to Norwegian is most likely a symptom of stress due to the sudden uncertainty in the situation and the short period of time to resolve the issue. When under stress people often revert to behavior which was learned earlier.

I routinely use port and starboard for helm commands but I’ve noticed I sometimes switch to left and right, which is how I first learned it when I suddenly find myself in a tight spot.

It’s a way the brain cuts down on cognitive workload in stressful situations.

We should sign a petition addressed to the IMO requiring the following STEERING AND SAILING RULES amendments;

Rule 3; General Definitions

(f) The term vessel not under command means a naval ship which through some exceptional circumstance is unable to manoeuvre as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel.

or…

Rule 18; Responsibilities between Vessels

A naval ship underway shall keep out of the way of:
(i) a vessel not under command,
(ii) a vessel restricted in her ability to manoeuvre,
(iii) a vessel engaged in fishing,
(iv) a sailing vessel.
(v) a power-driven vessel
(vi) a lighthouse

According to vg.no today the distance from the collision point to the nearest shallow spot (marked with an unlit “Stake”) is approx. 900 m.:

1 Like

That isn’t a courtesy or a rule, it is just good common sense and defensive driving. Like avoiding drunks or morons texting while driving.

Nah, it’s more or less always Norwegian. Received an e-mail from the Norwegian Coastal Administration about a year ago that forward all communication with VTS should be in English. Lasted shorter than the time it took me to read the mail.

2 Likes

Again, all kinds of water on the starboard side !
2:17 — Helge Ingstad: Than we go to the nearest blocks. (shore, reef) ???

The frigate had all the sea room and time to avert. She did not «fight» nor «flight» but «freeze» in a loss of peripheral vision or situational awareness due to stress from lack of earlier learned experience. Tunnel vision occur temporarily when the body produces high levels of adrenalin, in panic or stress… :thinking:

In that needless occurrence, I really do wish that Sola TS pilot had the reflex and time to order the vessel’s engine full astern and to order the tug to pull full … as altering to starboard would’ve created another close-quarter situation. :frowning_face: