T-shirts for Working Mariners (and their friends and family)

John was kind enough to give me permission to post up a link to http://workboatwear.spreadshirt.com and http://www.facebook.com/WorkboatWearShirts.

I searched and searched for some nautical themed t-shirts I’d like to wear and couldn’t find very much … so decided to create some. Together with former Maritime Monday editor Monkey Fist (http://adventures-of-the-blackgang.tumblr.com/) and artist Christina Sun (http://bowsprite.wordpress.com/), I’ve come up with a few designs I’m actually proud of.

We’ve done our best to keep the prices down. Anyway, take a look if you’re so inclined.

Cheers!

Some nice shirts but the price is too much.

[QUOTE=beekerbetter;137616]Some nice shirts but the price is too much.[/QUOTE]

Yup, we’ve tried really hard to keep the final cost under $25, which I realize is still spendy for a t-shirt. Still working on that.

It also depends on the particular shirt. Standard-weight shirts with text on the front only are as low as $16. If you see something you like and want it on a different shirt, send a fb message or PM here.

If anyone has salty ideas they’d like to see translated into a t-shirt … we can get an order to you at cost if we use your idea!

Hey, you’ve got some REALLY great designs. I especially like the one saying ‘girls drive boats too’. :slight_smile:
Next time I’m in the market for t-shirts, I’ll definitely get a few from you.
Just so you know, another good place for this kind of thing is where I got my last batch of nautical t-shirts. is www.maritimebilly.com
They have a pretty good selection too.

Lots of new designs up, many by gCaptain’s former Maritime Monday curator. Check 'em out if you’re so inclined.

You can also find us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/WorkboatWearShirts

All things considered, prices aren’t to bad. A ship t-shirt costs $20-28 out of the slop chest. Great designs, will be buying a couple.

Its hard to justify paying over $15 for a good quality Beefy-T ( Made In America) shirt. $20 is tops. COSTCO has ok T shirts under $10. At $25, I don’t need it.

Can almost guarantee beefy ts or anything Hanes is no longer made in America. Which only makes it worse. $25 is the most I would consider paying for a tshirt and only if it is made in USA

True re: Hanes; Hanes, Gildan and Fruit-of-the-Loom are all made in Central America (Honduras, Guatemala or El Salvador – at least they’re not made in China).

The only men’s t-shirt brand produced in the U.S. is American Apparel, and it is about twice the price for the blank t-shirt as, say, the Gildan standard-weight. For women, both Bella and ALO shirts are made in the USA. Here’s a complete list of sourcing for the Spreadshirt platform: http://www.spreadshirt.com/-C3532

That said, printing and production all occurs in the U.S. – either Greensburg, Pa., or Henderson, Nevada.

In the spirit of transparency, here’s how the pricing works: blank t-shirt (Gildan standard-weight: $6.95, American Apparel standard t-shirt:$14.20) + direct print fee ($4.50 per image, which is why we’ve left off doing images on both front and back for now) + design commission (usually $5 to the designer, who may have spent 20 hours or more creating or fine-tuning the image) + shop commission ($4 or $5, but sometimes only $1 if we feel like the price is getting too high).

So, for a Gildan shirt: $17-$20, for an American Apparel shirt: $24-$30.

If you really feel strongly about “Made in America,” but don’t see the design you like offered on an American Apparel t-shirt, you can always send a message via the Facebook page and we’ll throw that option up there. If you have an idea you’d like to see on a t-shirt, and it fits the general nautical/workboat theme, same thing, and we can get you the shirt at cost.

This is still cheaper than most CustomInk, Zazzle, CafePress or Etsy options, and the quality of the shirts and the printing is really pretty darned good. The only way we could fairly make it less expensive is to buy the blank shirts in bulk and do our own screen printing and fulfillment, and since I’m usually on a boat 28 days at a time, that doesn’t work so well. Maybe down the road, though.

Anyway, that’s the deal. I feel like I’ve abused John’s kind permission to post the freebie advertorial at this point, so I’ll just shut up. :wink: But do check out what we have, and if you want something different, or slightly different, let us know. Cheers.

[QUOTE=txh2oman;140729]True re: Hanes; Hanes, Gildan and Fruit-of-the-Loom are all made in Central America (Honduras, Guatemala or El Salvador – at least they’re not made in China).

The only men’s t-shirt brand produced in the U.S. is American Apparel, and it is about twice the price for the blank t-shirt as, say, the Gildan standard-weight. For women, both Bella and ALO shirts are made in the USA. Here’s a complete list of sourcing for the Spreadshirt platform: http://www.spreadshirt.com/-C3532

That said, printing and production all occurs in the U.S. – either Greensburg, Pa., or Henderson, Nevada.

In the spirit of transparency, here’s how the pricing works: blank t-shirt (Gildan standard-weight: $6.95, American Apparel standard t-shirt:$14.20) + direct print fee ($4.50 per image, which is why we’ve left off doing images on both front and back for now) + design commission (usually $5 to the designer, who may have spent 20 hours or more creating or fine-tuning the image) + shop commission ($4 or $5, but sometimes only $1 if we feel like the price is getting too high).

So, for a Gildan shirt: $17-$20, for an American Apparel shirt: $24-$30.

If you really feel strongly about “Made in America,” but don’t see the design you like offered on an American Apparel t-shirt, you can always send a message via the Facebook page and we’ll throw that option up there. If you have an idea you’d like to see on a t-shirt, and it fits the general nautical/workboat theme, same thing, and we can get you the shirt at cost.

This is still cheaper than most CustomInk, Zazzle, CafePress or Etsy options, and the quality of the shirts and the printing is really pretty darned good. The only way we could fairly make it less expensive is to buy the blank shirts in bulk and do our own screen printing and fulfillment, and since I’m usually on a boat 28 days at a time, that doesn’t work so well. Maybe down the road, though.

Anyway, that’s the deal. I feel like I’ve abused John’s kind permission to post the freebie advertorial at this point, so I’ll just shut up. :wink: But do check out what we have, and if you want something different, or slightly different, let us know. Cheers.[/QUOTE]

Some nice designs there tx, your time is valuable also, I will look to order from you in the near future. Good job.

So, yeah, I heard ya on the prices. Just slashed everything – some shirts now as low as $13, most $20 or less. Will probably nudge the prices back up sometime in the future, but I’d rather mariners have the shirts than make money off of them. :wink: Cheers!