Super screaming deal for a genuine C. Plath sextant on eBay right now!

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;123833]Did you ever end up buying that chronometer you were talking about earlier in this thread? If you did get your grubby little paws on it we’d love to see some pictures!!![/QUOTE]

I didn’t win it in the end but already had a Hamilton Model 21 I got years ago which I still have and did find an outer box recently for it. Always looking for great buys tho and bidding when I see them.

[QUOTE=c.captain;98423]more Plath sextants on right now & both at screaming deals so good luck bidders

Vintage 1946 C. Plath Hamburg Marine Sextant in Wood Box

C. Plath Hamburg Ship/Boat, Marine Navigation Sextant No. 44465

[/QUOTE]Good day friend! Greetings from Russia! Seen on the internet your sextant, and decided to talk to you. I also have the same number 27854 sextant and documents on its export from the USA. addressed. Box sextant in very bad condition, kept in poor conditions I beg you tell me the exact date of issue sekstanta.Ya want to know why sectarian got to hit the U.S. and the USSR. I ask you to rush to find relatives byshego owner sextant. try to send photos. THANK YOU!..
Send photo does not work! Poprbuyu send photos in a personal letter. Owner was sekstant Capt. Philip Moore

c.captain, please have a look to the last German artifact that I bought on the Bay … a Ludolph Marine Compass Binnacle, Bremerhaven, Germany ! :cool:

… unreal !

I had those Steam Pressure Brass Gauges in the same crate …

[QUOTE=Topsail;131707]c.captain, please have a look to the last German artifact that I bought on the Bay … a Ludolph Marine Compass Binnacle, Bremerhaven, Germany ! :cool:[/QUOTE]

well done my good man! You are undoubtedly a fellow mariner of fine taste! I myself have a vintage Kelvin Hughes binnacle I acquired many years ago still sitting in its shipping crate but very much like this one here

[QUOTE=Topsail;131711]I had those Steam Pressure Brass Gauges in the same crate … [/QUOTE]

double well done and bravo zulu to you!!!

Anybody seen any pocket sextants for sale? I’ve been looking to pick one up. Not those ridiculous key chains they sell to tourists but the circular pill-box-like ones that were ACTUALLY used at sea.

putting it out there for everybody again is a really nice Plath I am trying to sell for the widow of a departed ship master from the NW.

I have personally checked the sextant out and can verify the straightness and accuracy of it. Not perfect since it has probably something like 250000 seamiles on it but an excellent instrument of high caliber!

$450 + shipping will buy this fine vintage sextant!

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;131725]Anybody seen any pocket sextants for sale? I’ve been looking to pick one up. Not those ridiculous key chains they sell to tourists but the circular pill-box-like ones that were ACTUALLY used at sea.[/QUOTE]

Something like that ?

[QUOTE=c.captain;131730]putting it out there for everybody again is a really nice Plath I am trying to sell for the widow of a departed ship master from the NW.

I have personally checked the sextant out and can verify the straightness and accuracy of it. Not perfect since it has probably something like 150000 seamiles on it but an excellent instrument of high caliber!

$450 + shipping will buy this fine vintage sextant![/QUOTE]

If you have personally checked the sextant out and you’re safely back home, it is the ultimate proof of accuracy ! A professional celestial navigation instrument that I would have no hesitation to purchase.

Cassens & Plath … one of Ze Very Best !

[QUOTE=Topsail;131772]Something like that ?

[/QUOTE]

That’s the idea right there. I really love C-Nav but it’s just not practical to lug my Astra III-B around all the time. I figure if I can make one of those little doo-hickeys work then I can have some fun with C-Nav with whatever boat I’m on. Of course I’ll still need a 229 and an almanac, which are also cumbersome to transport, but I’m working on trying to have a smaller 229 printed up for easier transportation.

There is an application for iPad, I don’t know if it is available for a smaller iPhone but it looks like it, which is called the ezAlmanac. It generates the Nautical Almanac and HO-229 data you need for celestial navigation, and displays it as you would see and use it in the published books.

http://www.ezcelestial.com/EzCelestial/Welcome.html

[QUOTE=Topsail;131783]There is an application for iPad, I don’t know if it is available for a smaller iPhone but it looks like it, which is called the ezAlmanac. It generates the Nautical Almanac and HO-229 data you need for celestial navigation, and displays it as you would see and use it in the published books.

http://www.ezcelestial.com/EzCelestial/Welcome.html[/QUOTE]

Copy that Ok ! :wink:

[QUOTE=Topsail;131775]If you have personally checked the sextant out and you’re safely back home, it is the ultimate proof of accuracy ! A professional celestial navigation instrument that I would have no hesitation to purchase.

Cassens & Plath … one of Ze Very Best ![/QUOTE]

thanks for the vote of confidence…it is a very good instrument with little tarnish on the mirrors as well but the eyepiece in the monocular scope has a slight haze to it and I am exploring what it takes to get new lens for it.

to any of you SUNY deck students there who will need a sextant for your upcoming training cruises, this is an excellent and affordable value for a top of the line sextant!

aren’t those just display pieces made in India and without any real practical value?

a real salt of a navigator has everything in the manuals and tables already memorized and can get a perfect position with just a pointy stick!

try to cross an ocean with one of those you effing little Aikademie button pushing DPO wannabee punks! Bechya can’t even find the way to the door of your celestial nav classroom without some app to show you the way!

[QUOTE=c.captain;131802]aren’t those just display pieces made in India and without any real practical value?[/QUOTE]

Like I said before, there is a lot of that floating around these days but once upon a time those were real practical and important instruments. They’re only about 3 inches across and don’t weigh more than a pound or two. Imagine what a useful instrument that would have been to have in a lifeboat, especially in the days before EPIRBs and SARTs when you might actually have to navigate your own way back to land since there was no hope of being picked up by a ship. Bligh was lucky to have had a quadrant in his little dinghy in 1789 but had he not been so lucky one of these would have served him very well.

Take this one for example:

It sold for $6,864 at Christie’s because it was used by Wally Herbert on the British Trans-Arctic Expedition in 1968-1969 I just want one so it’s easier to do more celestial in my spare time at work.

[QUOTE=c.captain;131802]thanks for the vote of confidence…it is a very good instrument with little tarnish on the mirrors as well but the eyepiece in the monocular scope has a slight haze to it and I am exploring what it takes to get new lens for it.

to any of you SUNY deck students there who will need a sextant for your upcoming training cruises, this is an excellent and affordable value for a top of the line sextant!

aren’t those just display pieces made in India and without any real practical value?

a real salt of a navigator has everything in the manuals and tables already memorized and can get a perfect position with just a pointy stick!

try to cross an ocean with one of those you effing little Aikademie button pushing DPO wannabee punks! Bechya can’t even find the way to the door of your celestial nav classroom without some app to show you the way![/QUOTE]

A real … captain friend of mine owns a genuine pocket sextant. Very impressive ! Sure more accurate than a Backstaff …

A real salt of a navigator has everything in the manuals and tables already memorized and can get a perfect position with just a pointy stick! Try to cross an ocean with one of those you effing little Aikademie button pushing DPO wannabee punks! Bechya can’t even find the way to the door of your celestial nav classroom without some app to show you the way!

:smiley:

p.s. The pointy stick should be used in accordance of a STCW Approved Welder Glasses.

[QUOTE=Topsail;131775]Cassens & Plath … one of Ze Very Best ![/QUOTE]

Sorry to be so pedantic but the sextant in question is a C. Plath NOT a Cassens & Plath. C. Plath is the original “very best” (but not made anymore) and Cassens & Plath is an offshoot and is the best currently made.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;131780]That’s the idea right there. I really love C-Nav but it’s just not practical to lug my Astra III-B around all the time. I figure if I can make one of those little doo-hickeys work then I can have some fun with C-Nav with whatever boat I’m on. Of course I’ll still need a 229 and an almanac, which are also cumbersome to transport, but I’m working on trying to have a smaller 229 printed up for easier transportation.[/QUOTE]

Ah, merci mon ami! Je souhaite que je pouvais me le permettre! Quelque jour…