SUNY Maritime adult/ Day student admission?

Hi all, this is just a shot in the dark, but are there many, if any, adult/ day students at SUNY? I am 37 with no college, just HS, but was wondering if attending was feasible. The education possibilites/ licensing opportunities is what’s doing it for me. I do live within 15 miles of the school. Thanks for any Input.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I think you can only be a day student if you’re prior-service, in the graduate degree license program, or in your 5th+ year.

1 Like

Ah i see! Thank you! I’m actually doing STCW BT at the campus this week and really liked the school/atmosphere so I figured I’d ask. Just an old mans missed opportunity then lol!!!

Do everything you can to get in, if you have the possibility. I regret not doing it.

Believe me I would LOVE to, I wish I knew about it when I was in HS

Yea I don’t want to sound too discouraging. I mean I know there’s a lot of factors on deciding too, but there were always a few older students too andeven though it’s tough, it’s a great opportunity at any age. GLMA I think also has a decent amount of “non-traditional” college students.

What is GLMA?

Great Lakes Maritime Academy

1 Like

Ah thank u! I’ll def check it out! One of the reasons I liked SUNY was because it’s so close to home

Same as Cal Maritime, as far as I’ve heard!

At Maine Maritime anyone over age 24 was considered a “non-trad” (non traditional student), not just prior military.

If you’re there taking classes why don’t you just walk over and ask someone in admissions?

Yea that’s what I’m going to do tommorow, get it right from them would be best right? Lol

When I was there this was correct, but I do remember having some day-students that were just older - married with families, etc. I don’t remember the age cut off, but it was definitely less than 37. Also this was 10 years ago, so take it for what it’s worth.

Go talk to admissions and also take whatever they say for what it’s worth…

1 Like

Birdman

You can definitely go to college there - but at 37 what is the point?

Day students are NOT allowed in the license program(s) unless they are former (or current) military.

I agree (as a 1977 grad) its a great school but most of us alumni do NOT look at guys with out a commission or a license as good job candidates. Albeit with an engineering degree you will get some interest from non-maritime companies.

Also - unless you are a female (I am assuming you are not) the chances of getting in are slim at 37.

Why not just go to a regular SUNY college engineering or business program? Without a commission or a license why go to SUNY Maritime?

1 Like

I wonder what the reasoning behind this is. Are license track required to go into the reserves?. @Birdman21, CMA doesn’t care about your age for the license program, you just have to be able to pass the USCG physical. We had several guys and ladies in their 40’s and 50’s go through when I did. Most went deck but we had a few engine side as well.

1 Like

I know several friends who attended Schuyler in the graduate degree program, license track, who did not have prior military experience. You can go license track if you are a graduate student, which I believe did not exist back in 1977. If you are an undergrad, I think you have to join the corp of cadets.

I thought corps of cadets was a requirement for the license program, even for grad students.

While possible, that would really surprise me.

Highly doubtful. All the state academies regularly have students in their 40’s.

3 Likes

It is, Regimental day-students still have to sort of be in the regiment, wear uniform to class and all that, by only have one or two formations a week and are allowed to commute to the campus instead of being required to dorm.

You don’t have to be former service to be a license track day student. You do have to be former service, in the graduate degree program, or be past your senior year.

It’s a USCG license requirement that all license seeking students in a state maritime academy be instructed in a regimented program. How they organize that is mostly left up to the SMAs to interpret, and tradition.