Still a bit confused; re: Second mate upgrade

Thanks ya’ll for the responses to my question about DPO time toward Second Mate. With that ammunition I was able to convince the person that signed my Letter of Seatime to compose an new one showing that DPO time as Third Mate (OICNW).
Now here is a new question: How does this 46 CFR 11.406 read? Am I to show 180 12hr. days as (OICNW) or 1 year (365) days as a Deck Officer, i.e. Master, Mate, on vessels of any tonnage while holding the Third Mate? As some of you guys have done, I have tested for Second Mate AGT at the REC but was issued a Third Mate AGT until I accumulate the time to be issued the Second Mate.

§ 11.406 Service requirements for second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any gross tons.

The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for an endorsement as second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any gross tons is:
(a) One year of service as officer in charge of a navigational watch on ocean steam or motor vessels while holding a license or endorsement as third mate; or,
(b) While holding a license or MMC endorsement as third mate of ocean steam or motor vessels of any gross tons, 12 months of service on deck as follows:
(1) A minimum of six months service as officer in charge of a deck watch on ocean steam or motor vessels; in combination with,
(2) Service on ocean steam or motor vessels as boatswain, able seaman, or quartermaster while holding a certificate or MMC endorsement as able seaman, which may be accepted on a two-for-one basis to a maximum allowable substitution of six months (12 months of experience equals 6 months of creditable service); or,
© An individual holding an endorsement or license as master of Great Lakes and inland steam or motor vessels of any gross tons or master of inland steam or motor vessels of any gross tons, may obtain an endorsement as second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of any gross tons by completing the prescribed examination in subpart I of this part.
The question is; how many days do I need to show the Coast Guard to have them hand me the Second Mate AGT?
If you didn’t already know, I am a third party contractor so get my time from more that one boat company so I have to get a letter of Seatime everytime a contract ends.
Mr. Cavo, Anchorman, Captain Lee, what you think?

I’m pretty sure you have to have a total of 1 year sea time (8 hour days) while holding 3rd mate, as long as you are functioning as OICNW. If you are working 12 hour days, then you would need 240 12 hour days.

Hey Steve,

[I][B]It is 240 (12 hour days) or 360 (8 hour) days.[/B][/I] All depends on the type of vessel you are working on. The Coast Guard is no longer giving a day and a half on Oil Rigs. Right now I am waiting until I have 360 (8 hour days) for my Master AGT even though I already have 240+ (12 hour days). I just don’t want to take any chances.

See my several recent posts on the 12-hour day. The vessel needs to be one that is authorized by 46 USC 8104 to have 3 watches. Generally, this is tugs and OSVs on short, domestic voyages. Asking for this fcredit for an AGT license will invite some scrutiny as the vessels that usually are eligible for the 12-hour day are of smaller tonnage. All of the timne to go to 2nd Mate does not have to be over 1600 GRT, If any of your time is on vessels less than 1600 GRT, it may still be used, but you might be subject to a tonnage limit.

Note that MODU time can be used without limit for 3rd Mate to 2nd Mate, but going to Chief Mate or Master AGT will require at least half your time to be on “conventional” vessels.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;43990]
Note that MODU time can be used without limit for 3rd Mate to 2nd Mate, but going to Chief Mate or Master AGT will require at least half your time to be on “conventional” vessels.[/QUOTE]

MARINE SAFETY MANUAL, VOLUME III, MARINE INDUSTRY PERSONNEL

CHAPTER 10: LICENSES FOR DECK OFFICERS

1. Service On MODUs 10-3

2. Service On MODUs.
    Service aboard self-propelled, dynamically positioned MODUs which are not anchored or otherwise bottom bearing will be credited without restriction towards all grades of unlimited deck licenses in the same manner as conventional vessels. All other MODU service will be credited in accordance with 46 CFR 10.211©.

[B]Mr. Cavo,

After reading this I interpret this to mean that service on a dynamically positioned MODU would be creditable for upgrade to Master from Chief Mate. Can you verify this?[/B]