STCW training near Houma

Does anybody know of a school that does the STCW course near Houma or anywhere close for that matter? My plan is to drive down, do the course then head out looking for work the following Monday.

Ive seen a couple places so far but Fletchers community college doesnt have a class in June and UofL Lafayette hasnt responded to me, I have to wait till mid June because I dont have my MMD in hand yet.

Thanks for any help.

Delgado Community College in New Orleans and South Central Louisiana Technical College ( young memorial ) in Morgan City.

SLTCs June class is full, Delgado hasnt called me back, LE Fletcher is full and UofL Lafayette is alot more $$$ than everybody else apparently (and still dont know if they even have a June class)

Seaschool`s next open class in June 26th, I hate to wait that long but I wont have my Z card till mid June anyways.

You can always take a chance and go to a class on the first day as a stand by. The schools (unless they have changed) do not require a deposit, and there are usually several no-shows.

Might ask the offices at the schools about this.

Good luck!

There are no classes close to home?

Try Falck Alford in Houma. They are associated with Houston Marine in Kenner.

It’s no surprise that the inexpensive schools close to the action are booked up. Remember, time is money.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;110039]There are no classes close to home?[/QUOTE]

Home is Florida but ive been up north in PA the past few months near my family scrapping up money to get all this done, since I have to be away from home for school regardless of where I go id rather be close to where I need to be afterwards.

[QUOTE=Brian468;110076]Home is Florida but ive been up north in PA the past few months near my family scrapping up money to get all this done, since I have to be away from home for school regardless of where I go id rather be close to where I need to be afterwards.[/QUOTE]
If you are driving south try Mid Atlantic maritime on the way there.

There is an offshore safety school in Lafayette that provides BST. You can also bunk on their campus. I’m not sure of their exact name but I think its called OSS?

Ill look into it, right now im scheduled for june 26th at seaschool, if my MMD comes back early enough i`m gonna try to get into an earlier class if at all possible, thanks for all the help.

[QUOTE=Brian468;110317]Ill look into it, right now im scheduled for june 26th at seaschool, if my MMD comes back early enough i`m gonna try to get into an earlier class if at all possible, thanks for all the help.[/QUOTE]
Do you have to have MMC in hand to take the course?

No, if I had it in hand I would have gone somewhere already.

I think you can take BST before you get the MMC. Check wit the USCG . Also, schools wit BST are listed on the NMC website.

You don’t need your MMC to take the course. You don’t even need a TWIC card. I did mine at LAMPI and it was awesome. The surrounding area, not so much.

Lady at the NMC told me I couldn`t get my stcw certificate without having my MMD first.

This doesn’t preclude you from taking the classes, then submit the course completion certificates with your MMD application.

[QUOTE=Brian468;110891]Lady at the NMC told me I couldn`t get my stcw certificate without having my MMD first.[/QUOTE]

You can take the training if you have one or not. You are probably confusing the fact that it obviously can’t be put on your MMC without having it first.

How do I get it put on my MMD? does the school do that or do I need to submit it to the CG?

basically i`m asking if I can go to work immediately after school or do I have to wait even longer? plan was to finish school on Sunday and be in Houma bright and early Monday morning.

[QUOTE=Brian468;111028]How do I get it put on my MMD? does the school do that or do I need to submit it to the CG?

basically i`m asking if I can go to work immediately after school or do I have to wait even longer? plan was to finish school on Sunday and be in Houma bright and early Monday morning.[/QUOTE]

Assuming you are an AB you have to submit the course completion documents to the CG with a new CG-719B. If you are an OS they don’t put it on the MMC and you just should show the company the copies of your certificates and that should be sufficient.