STCW BST and Pell Grant

O.k., I’m about ready to throw things through the portlights! I’ve searched to my limits, but have been told that “If you want it bad enough, you’ll find a way.” Well, this may be my way?

I received my Pell grant. The money is there. Does anyone know of an accredited institution that offers the STCW BST and [U]will [/U]accept Fed money? I never dreamed it would be this hard to spend money!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!:mad:

[quote=Petesharbor Rat;23911]O.k., I’m about ready to throw things through the portlights! I’ve searched to my limits, but have been told that “If you want it bad enough, you’ll find a way.” Well, this may be my way?

I received my Pell grant. The money is there. Does anyone know of an accredited institution that offers the STCW BST and [U]will [/U]accept Fed money? I never dreamed it would be this hard to spend money!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!:mad:[/quote]

AVTEC gladly accepts federal money! :slight_smile:

Thank you Robert! I’m on that like stink on you know what!

Always glad to help. And while financial aid is not my area of expertise, if you contact me privately I can give you and email or phone number to someone here who could answer your questions must better.

I just sent Kim at AVTEC the info that I need. Hopefully she’ll reply quickly.

Thanks again for the great start!

You will have an excellent experience at AVTEC.

Bring rain gear, however :wink:

i am a veteran of us armed services, I am eligible to the mont. gi bill. I took my stcw bst at MPT-usa in Ft Lauderdale. At the time they did not have government approval nor did they intend on getting it. When MPT did finally get the approval it was over a yr since i took the course. So i was denied, by the va any gibill money for the course. Even if the gibill does pay for a course though it is only about 25% of the course’s cost. Not total cost(s) for travel, room/board,…etc. Kind of makes me feel like the 10 honorable yrs i served in the military was a waste.
Then the person might say " thanks for serving" as he hangs up the phone. Thinking what a sucker…
Point is; Your not the only one who has had difficulty spending government money, and you won’t be the last. But if you want to hawsepipe your way in the maritime industry get used to spending money out of your own pocket.

[quote=trekleader;23917]You will have an excellent experience at AVTEC.

Bring rain gear, however ;)[/quote]

Thanks Trek. You get a gold star (or a candy bar) for that!

Just a follow-up note. I received a very prompt and polite response from Kim at AVTEC. Unfortunately, a Pell grant can’t be applied toward a 40 hour course. So, I’m back to square one…But, thank you Robert for your help.

Wiley

welcome to the wonderful field of the merchant marine. My previous post informed you that you may end up having to bite the billet and pay for it yourself. If it is any comfort i too have had many a frustrated moment trying to use government money to pay for merchant marine classes. But at least you have not lost 10yrs of your life to government (military) service.
After you get your classes, and your able to get started in the maritime industry. You will start to think about upgrading, and pretty much the cycle repeats itself. As far as; What classes do i need? and How am I going to pay for them? You will be asking yourself those throughout your whole career in the maritime industry! You will learn about cfr’s, and NVICS,…and you will start to study them. Then as you read other post(s) in this forum concerning intrepretation, and USCG/NMC issues. You too will have your story/stories about your issue(s) with USCG/NMC.
Then with the laws getting more stringent on mariner credentialing, right now I don’t know why any one would choose to become a mariner.

[quote=Petesharbor Rat;24088]Just a follow-up note. I received a very prompt and polite response from Kim at AVTEC. Unfortunately, a Pell grant can’t be applied toward a 40 hour course. So, I’m back to square one…But, thank you Robert for your help.

Wiley[/quote]

I’m glad you got such a quick response. I’m sorry it won’t work out. I was fearful that federal money required longer length courses, which is rather disappointing.

I found this post to be interesting so i did some digging and found a few places that in the past accepted the Pell Grant, (and still accept federal money.) If they do accept the Pell anymore im not sure, but i thought i could at least give you a few things to try. I know what it is like beating your head against a steel bulk head neddle gunning all day. The first is TEEX college out of Texas they are associated with Texas A&M and offer many courses. I personaly have went to a few in College Station, and Galveston. Here is a web link. http://www.teex.com/index.cfm Another site a friend of mine suggested was http://www.fremontmaritime.com/index.html I hope this helps you out and you can get on your way to becoming the proffesional mariner you want to be.

FIX IT OR GO HOME :slight_smile:

Im not sure what coast your at… Try Clatsop Community College in
Astoria, OR.
They are online and have a marine program. Also, you may want to do an end run around PEL not alowing 40 hour/marine course. Ask about a “credit over lay” for professional courses. Yould get the BST plus college credit. But doing it that way would also cost you more money cause yould have to pay tuition for the college credits. But heck its a PELL. CCC may have a way of taking your money. Fire Fighters do it… If you get turned down at CCC send me a PM. I have friends :wink:
bob
AKA training geek.

PMI was approved for Veterans money…

Im not sure your age… have you looked into the Job Corps AB program at Toung Point Job corps center in Astoria, OR? Its free plus ya get 3 squares and a cot while there. I met some of the “jobbies” while taking my BST at the CC.
Bob

[QUOTE=bob;24235]Im not sure your age… have you looked into the Job Corps AB program at Toung Point Job corps center in Astoria, OR? Its free plus ya get 3 squares and a cot while there. I met some of the “jobbies” while taking my BST at the CC.
Bob[/QUOTE]

I have 2 guys on my boat that went the Job Corps route, they both have done well because of it…

Thank all of you, for the encouragement and great leads. Because this USCG requirement is so vital to gaining employment, I will be following up on every single lead. I will report back and let you know the outcomes and possibilities.

Thank you ALL!

Wiley

just wondering…if a pell grant might be utilized for DP training and possibly other marine related training that is cost prohibitive to the individual mariner??

Basic Safety Training is only about a $1,000 at various different places. I would say suck up the cost for the BST since ya should have it, if ya can’t use the federal money, and use the money for another course such as DP, or maybe even a 1yr or 2yr program.

How old are you? What do you want to do deck or engine? Seattle Maritime and PMI have some 2yr courses to get your mates license. Some more information about what your career goals are and your experience would really help you get some more information.