I'm back, and need assistance

Hi all, I’m sure some of you may remember me, Been gone better part of a year. Long story, life got busy, internet time got small.

Anyway, shoreside work just isn’t coming along, so I am trying to get my documents back. I got a letter from the NMC the other day saying my application passed everything EXCEPT I need to take an open book test (I’m assuming I can do that at an REC (which is still an 8hr drive!), and I need a BST refresher. I used the search app on the NMC website, but it kept saying there is NOTHING closer than 800 miles! (KP or Piney Point). Problem is the USCG is only giving me 90 days to get this all done… Kinda at a loss and frustrated since I don’t have the time to search the bilges of the internet for more info. You cannot tell me that there are no schools along the great lakes that teach BST/BST refresher?

Anyone that can help? Mr. Cavo, if your still around, can I get your sage wisdom on this?

Sorry, there just doesn’t seem to be any place.Piney Point seems to be the closet. If you go to Sea School in Bayou La Battre you will have free room and board, you won’t need a car as they pick you up at the airport and you could eat yourself to death if you are inclined.

drk - I’m also from Wisconsin, and have had the same problem finding schools close to home. I’ve spent a lot of time this past year in Louisiana, and have been using Young Memorial in Morgan City and L E Fletcher in Houma. It is a bit of a drive, but nearly all interstay, I-39 to I-55.

Yes, it is a long drive, but Young Memorial has the most reasonable tution, and you can find good lodging in the area for $50 a night.

If you go with Young Memorial, call the office to find out if they have any BST classes scheduled that are not posted on the internet.

Also, when you find out the date of the classes, keep in mind that they will not open the classes up until the first day of the month of the month preceeding the class. If a class is scheduled in May, the earliest you can register is the first of April. The office opens at 7:30 a.m.

Good luck.

There have been renewals when I have not had the sea time, but have been in a shore related marine business. There the USCG always sent me an open book, take home test. Beats the heck out of a drive to Toledo.

I belive they will send you the open book test in the mail. You could also just do the whole 5 day BST instead of the refresher, costs more I know but maybe costs less in the long run when yoiu consider travel lodging etc if you do the refresher course away form home.

[I][quote=drkblram;28626]Hi all, I’m sure some of you may remember me, Been gone better part of a year. Long story, life got busy, internet time got small.

Anyway, shoreside work just isn’t coming along, so I am trying to get my documents back. I got a letter from the NMC the other day saying my application passed everything EXCEPT I need to take an open book test (I’m assuming I can do that at an REC (which is still an 8hr drive!), and I need a BST refresher. I used the search app on the NMC website, but it kept saying there is NOTHING closer than 800 miles! (KP or Piney Point). Problem is the USCG is only giving me 90 days to get this all done… Kinda at a loss and frustrated since I don’t have the time to search the bilges of the internet for more info. You cannot tell me that there are no schools along the great lakes that teach BST/BST refresher?

Anyone that can help? Mr. Cavo, if your still around, can I get your sage wisdom on this?[/quote][/I]

If you are renewing, the open book exam is mailed to you and you do it at home. I believe you have to arrange to have it mailed via the REC, but it should be an at-home test.

Very few schools give the BST refresher course (little demand?). You may find it easier to take the full original course(s) instead of travelling for one of the small number that have a refresher.

Good copy on the open book test part…

However, I don’t understand how getting a BST original is any cheaper than renewing the BST, since I have to go to LA/MD/NY or FL to do either it looks like!?

I had suggested full BST because I figured there must be a course nearer to you than a refresher course…you’re correct, there isn’t. Florida is nice this time of year:)

Yeah, kinda bad, I don’t have the time or money to go roadtripin’ to the gulf or florida. Thats why I’m trying to get back to sea. Beats retail logistics any day… (and I can’t find work on my fancy smancy new degree either.)

Mr. Cavo, do I have 90 days to get this done, or just to reply to the NMC about it? I’m going east this fall and maybe could get it done at one of the academies while I’m there (would still have to look into their offerings).

Oh and Water, with a cow in your avatar, I should have known you were from this area :wink:

[quote=drkblram;28829]Yeah, kinda bad, I don’t have the time or money to go roadtripin’ to the gulf or florida. Thats why I’m trying to get back to sea. Beats retail logistics any day… (and I can’t find work on my fancy smancy new degree either.)

Mr. Cavo, do I have 90 days to get this done, or just to reply to the NMC about it? I’m going east this fall and maybe could get it done at one of the academies while I’m there (would still have to look into their offerings).

Oh and Water, with a cow in your avatar, I should have known you were from this area ;)[/quote]

Drkblram,

I have a guy on my boat in very similar circumstances, he asked for an extension at the end of his 90 days and got it …

Good copy, I’ll compose a letter this week about my plan and anticipated time line.

Other issue I’ve discovered, my GMDSS operator’s license expired last month. I can’t for the life of me remember how to renew it…

Here’s the website for FCC
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do

But they don’t expire anymore regardless of what’s on the face of them. I know it would be better to have one that DOESN’T have an expiration date on it.