State of the SIU Unlicensed Apprenticeship Program

I have done a lot of digging and found quite a bit of useful information regarding the SIU’s apprenticeship program. I have decided I am going to apply immediately, as it sounds like the best way for me to break into this industry. There is really nothing else like it in the job market, regardless of industry.

However, much of the information I uncovered is years old and things seemed to have changed, so I figured I would start a brand-new thread. I called the admissions office today; my first question was how long it would typically take to get into a class, if accepted. The lady who answered stated it was a four to six-month wait, which is not horrible by any means. However, what I really meant to ask was if there was still a waitlist. Has anybody heard if there is still a waitlist involved?

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;138456]I have done a lot of digging and found quite a bit of useful information regarding the SIU’s apprenticeship program. I have decided I am going to apply immediately, as it sounds like the best way for me to break into this industry. There is really nothing else like it in the job market, regardless of industry.

However, much of the information I uncovered is years old and things seemed to have changed, so I figured I would start a brand-new thread. I called the admissions office today; my first question was how long it would typically take to get into a class, if accepted. The lady who answered stated it was a four to six-month wait, which is not horrible by any means. However, what I really meant to ask was if there was still a waitlist. Has anybody heard if there is still a waitlist involved?[/QUOTE]

Did it and glad i did. It really is the best and cheapest way to break into the industry. Get in, get your shit, and go on your way. I don’t hate the SIU like most people on here but i’m starting to venture out and see what else is out there. There is steady work for “B” books witch is what you come out with after the program. Its always a good backup plan as well. I have a younger brother that is about to apply as well. Good luck, its going to suck for awhile but stick it out it will be worth it.

[QUOTE=Goirish44;138463]Did it and glad i did. It really is the best and cheapest way to break into the industry. Get in, get your shit, and go on your way. I don’t hate the SIU like most people on here but i’m starting to venture out and see what else is out there. There is steady work for “B” books witch is what you come out with after the program. Its always a good backup plan as well. I have a younger brother that is about to apply as well. Good luck, its going to suck for awhile but stick it out it will be worth it.[/QUOTE]

My best-case scenario right now is to get hired by MSC (which is where I want to make a career), but seeing as they are not hiring entry-level personnel and there is no telling when, I figure I need to do anything and everything to get sea time.

How long did it take you to get accepted into the program when you did it? I am curious what kind of timeframe I was looking at. I asked the admissions person today, but I tend to be skeptical of “official” estimates.

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;138470]My best-case scenario right now is to get hired by MSC (which is where I want to make a career), but seeing as they are not hiring entry-level personnel and there is no telling when, I figure I need to do anything and everything to get sea time.

How long did it take you to get accepted into the program when you did it? I am curious what kind of time frame I was looking at. I asked the admissions person today, but I tend to be skeptical of “official” estimates.[/QUOTE]

I forget, a few months i guess? It was pretty slow and class sizes were small when i started but not it seems like class sizes are larger. I believe once you get the application started and you’re accepted they give you time frames for things you need to have done. If you want to go MSC they offer you all kinds special security clearances and all that shit if thats what you want to do? Maersk has most of the contracts and so does keystone and they are both SIU companies (atleast maersk USA flagged). Theres a lot out there for you if MSC is the road you wanted to take. They offered all that shit to me and i told them i sail great lakes, tugs, and coast-wise tankers and that’s it. Rather deliver pizza then sail for MSC, fuck that.

[QUOTE=Goirish44;138472]I forget, a few months i guess? It was pretty slow and class sizes were small when i started but not it seems like class sizes are larger. I believe once you get the application started and you’re accepted they give you time frames for things you need to have done. If you want to go MSC they offer you all kinds special security clearances and all that shit if thats what you want to do? Maersk has most of the contracts and so does keystone and they are both SIU companies (atleast maersk USA flagged). Theres a lot out there for you if MSC is the road you wanted to take. They offered all that shit to me and i told them i sail great lakes, tugs, and coast-wise tankers and that’s it. Rather deliver pizza then sail for MSC, fuck that.[/QUOTE]

The woman I spoke with today said classes were about 22 - 25 in number. How big was yours?

Special security clearances? Yum. :smiley:

Honestly, my mind is as open as the oceans. A maritime career provides so many opportunities, one would be a fool to simply say “this is all I want, nothing else.” If not MSC, Maersk, Chevron, even Royal Caribbean are all places I am willing to sail with. That having been said, wherever my career takes me, I want to end up at MSC. Being a federal employee alone is a deciding factor and, for someone unable to serve in the military, it allows me to serve the country by supporting the warfighter.

If I may ask, why are you so down on MSC?

[QUOTE=Goirish44;138463]Did it and glad i did. It really is the best and cheapest way to break into the industry. Get in, get your shit, and go on your way. I don’t hate the SIU like most people on here but i’m starting to venture out and see what else is out there. There is steady work for “B” books witch is what you come out with after the program. Its always a good backup plan as well. I have a younger brother that is about to apply as well. Good luck, its going to suck for awhile but stick it out it will be worth it.[/QUOTE]

I’ll gladly sail with the SIU over the Sailors Union of Prima donnas any day of the week.

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;138479]The woman I spoke with today said classes were about 22 - 25 in number. How big was yours?

Special security clearances? Yum. :smiley:

Honestly, my mind is as open as the oceans. A maritime career provides so many opportunities, one would be a fool to simply say “this is all I want, nothing else.” If not MSC, Maersk, Chevron, even Royal Caribbean are all places I am willing to sail with. That having been said, wherever my career takes me, I want to end up at MSC. Being a federal employee alone is a deciding factor and, for someone unable to serve in the military, it allows me to serve the country by supporting the warfighter.

If I may ask, why are you so down on MSC?[/QUOTE]

People are generally negative towards (those who left) because they treat their mariners like inmates when it’s time to go on vacation after 4,5, 6, 7 months at sea. Just inquire about how much time off is accrued for every 30 worked, then you’ll see why…

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;138500]People are generally negative towards (those who left) because they treat their mariners like inmates when it’s time to go on vacation after 4,5, 6, 7 months at sea. Just inquire about how much time off is accrued for every 30 worked, then you’ll see why…[/QUOTE]

I see.

How common is paid time off at unions and other sailing companies?

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;138501]I see.

How common is paid time off at unions and other sailing companies?[/QUOTE]

Generally speaking unlicensed get 10- 15 for 30, officers 25-30 for 30 depending on position.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;138502]Generally speaking unlicensed get 10- 15 for 30, officers 25-30 for 30 depending on position.[/QUOTE]

Is that 10 - 15 days and 25- 30 days every 30 days at sea, respectively?

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;138500]People are generally negative towards (those who left) because they treat their mariners like inmates when it’s time to go on vacation after 4,5, 6, 7 months at sea. Just inquire about how much time off is accrued for every 30 worked, then you’ll see why…[/QUOTE]

Exactly, MSC is nothing but the poor mans navy. Fuck that, take that making your bed and shaving shit and go eat shit.

• Updated - - -

“Oh hey i know you just got off a 7 month hitch last week but were going to need you to fly out to Guam tomorrow for another 3 month hitch and if you say no you’re fired” Suck my below average size Irish pecker.

Well, I did always want to join the Navy but could not meet the military’s highly stringent eyesight requirements. I have no issues making my bed and shaving (not a fan of facial hair).

“Oh hey i know you just got off a 7 month hitch last week but were going to need you to fly out to Guam tomorrow for another 3 month hitch and if you say no you’re fired” Suck my below average size Irish pecker.

I thought it was practically impossible to get fired? It is a federal job, after all…

Place is joke. Siu sucks. They are criminals and liars at the school

[QUOTE=Bluefinboy;138548]Place is joke. Siu sucks. They are criminals and liars at the school[/QUOTE]

Why do opinions on the SIU apprenticeship program have such a wide range?

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;138553]Why do opinions on the SIU apprenticeship program have such a wide range?[/QUOTE]

Like most things in the maritime industry, it is what you make it. I tend to see the guys that bitch about the SIU are the ones that let themselves slip up and lose their seniority or that never bettered themselves and now they are stuck where they are.

[QUOTE=Goirish44;138558]Like most things in the maritime industry, it is what you make it. I tend to see the guys that bitch about the SIU are the ones that let themselves slip up and lose their seniority or that never bettered themselves and now they are stuck where they are.[/QUOTE]

That is good to know. The last thing you want to do is be in a place where you can do everything right and still get the shaft.

[QUOTE=Goirish44;138558]Like most things in the maritime industry, it is what you make it. I tend to see the guys that bitch about the SIU are the ones that let themselves slip up and lose their seniority or that never bettered themselves and now they are stuck where they are.[/QUOTE]

There are those of us that simply found we can make more money and find a job whenever we want to by working non-union. Just about any non-union job pays more than SIU. That’s not to say that the SIU program might not be a good way to get started for people who cannot knock on doors and sell themselves to employers. The SIU can be a good way for someone to hawespipe into an unlimited license. Non union jobs are hard to get on unlimited tonnage ships.

When you applied, how was the physical exam and functional capacity test? I have no health issues, but my eyesight is poor and while I am confident it meets both the corrected and uncorrected standards, I do not want any surprises.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;138597]There are those of us that simply found we can make more money and find a job whenever we want to by working non-union. Just about any non-union job pays more than SIU. That’s not to say that the SIU program might not be a good way to get started for people who cannot knock on doors and sell themselves to employers. The SIU can be a good way for someone to hawespipe into an unlimited license. Non union jobs are hard to get on unlimited tonnage ships.[/QUOTE]

That’s it pretty much, i always wanted to sail tugs but needed some sort of foundation to get some experience and schooling so i used the SIU program. Took a few unlimted tonnage ships got my feet wet, got some salt, upgraded and now when i call companies and e-mail my resume i don’t look like some poor bayou schmuck with an OS ticket and a twic card.

As far as the fitness exam goes, as long as you dont live off mcdonalds and drink 2 liters of soda all day every day you will be fine. I’m 6’1 260 pounds and i pass easy.

[QUOTE=Goirish44;138617]As far as the fitness exam goes, as long as you dont live off mcdonalds and drink 2 liters of soda all day every day you will be fine. I’m 6’1 260 pounds and i pass easy.[/QUOTE]

What about the eyesight/vision exam? Recall any particulars?