State of the SIU Unlicensed Apprenticeship Program

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;138623]What about the eyesight/vision exam? Recall any particulars?[/QUOTE]

Cant be colorblind.

[QUOTE=Goirish44;138625]Cant be colorblind.[/QUOTE]

What about visual acuity? Do they just have you read off the Snellen chart, or is it something else?

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;138635]What about visual acuity? Do they just have you read off the Snellen chart, or is it something else?[/QUOTE]

No clue bro. I’m an AB not a doctor.

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;138635]What about visual acuity? Do they just have you read off the Snellen chart, or is it something else?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, just the chart. At least, that’s all I’ve ever done for them.

[QUOTE=Goirish44;138636]No clue bro. I’m an AB not a doctor.[/QUOTE]

Oh I was just asking what test you recall they have you do in order to test your vision.

My vision is pretty bad, and I remember passing with no trouble. I’m not color blind tho.

[QUOTE=kfSeadog;138643]My vision is pretty bad, and I remember passing with no trouble. I’m not color blind tho.[/QUOTE]

I take it you don’t recall the particulars of the eye exam?

I don’t mean to sound like a broken record, I just don’t want any surprises that would bring this whole thing to a screeching halt.

If I remember correct, there was this device you had to look into and be able to read some letters. And there were the color blind ones they showed to make sure you could see the difference between colors. I don’t remember what they were called. I just know that eyesight was the one physical thing I had reservations about bc mine is really bad. But it was needless worry - they were nonchalant about it, spent barely any time at all checking. That was a good number of years ago. Doubt it’s changed. I think you’ll be alright unless you’re legally blind or something.

[QUOTE=kfSeadog;138649]If I remember correct, there was this device you had to look into and be able to read some letters. And there were the color blind ones they showed to make sure you could see the difference between colors. I don’t remember what they were called. I just know that eyesight was the one physical thing I had reservations about bc mine is really bad. But it was needless worry - they were nonchalant about it, spent barely any time at all checking. That was a good number of years ago. Doubt it’s changed. I think you’ll be alright unless you’re legally blind or something.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks. Hopefully, it is needless worry on my part as well.

[QUOTE=Goirish44;138558]Like most things in the maritime industry, it is what you make it. I tend to see the guys that bitch about the SIU are the ones that let themselves slip up and lose their seniority or that never bettered themselves and now they are stuck where they are.[/QUOTE]

i work for the gov’t under an SIU contract and I thought enough of them initially to sign a dues card and get a c book (which I did not have to do), but after seeing how they sell out the wage mariner rank and file, by ignoring and sweeping under the rug very real and serious issues pertaining to safety, I would have to say, no, the SIU as a union today does not do what it’s supposed to do. And that is no reflection on me as a mariner. If anything, I have a good rep here and have spent a lot of my own money to “better myself” without the help of my employer.

And by the way, my sailing time at this agency does not count for my seniority. So when I leave, I leave as a C book. The MEBA guys fare better.

My suggestion is talk to people and find out why they are ticked off before issuing a judgment. You might glean some valuable information.

[QUOTE=catherder;138707]i work for the gov’t under an SIU contract and I thought enough of them initially to sign a dues card and get a c book (which I did not have to do), but after seeing how they sell out the wage mariner rank and file, by ignoring and sweeping under the rug very real and serious issues pertaining to safety, I would have to say, no, the SIU as a union today does not do what it’s supposed to do. And that is no reflection on me as a mariner. If anything, I have a good rep here and have spent a lot of my own money to “better myself” without the help of my employer.

And by the way, my sailing time at this agency does not count for my seniority. So when I leave, I leave as a C book. The MEBA guys fare better.

My suggestion is talk to people and find out why they are ticked off before issuing a judgment. You might glean some valuable information.[/QUOTE]

I know your post was not directed at me, but places like SIU are really our best chance to get our foot in the door. A move to the Gulf Coast is not really feasible and, even if what you say is true, the SIU offers opportunities that really cannot be had elsewhere.

Besides, my hope is to eventually get hired (not contracted) by MSC and not have to rely on the union.

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;138710]… and not have to rely on the union.[/QUOTE]

Whether you want to think about it or not, your welfare and income as a mariner is the result of the maritime unions and you can rely on them to keep working standards and pay as good as it is now - at least as long as possible given the anti-labor climate in this country. If we didn’t have those unions you would be picking barnacles off the hull on your own time to get a meal and paying your own transportation home after your year long indentured labor contract expired.

If you think the SIU is bad, think about how good it would be if the neo-conservative labor haters in congress were able to write your employment agreement.

[QUOTE=Steamer;138738]Whether you want to think about it or not, your welfare and income as a mariner is the result of the maritime unions and you can rely on them to keep working standards and pay as good as it is now. If we didn’t have those unions you would be picking barnacles off the hull on your own time to get a meal and paying your own transportation home after your year long indentured labor contract expired.

If you think the SIU is bad, think about how good it would be if the neo-conservative labor haters in congress were able to write your employment agreement.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, I was by no means disparaging SIU. I cannot even say it is bad, because I have never been a member. It is just that I do not want to rely on them for work. But then again, things may change.

[QUOTE=catherder;138707]i work for the gov’t under an SIU contract and I thought enough of them initially to sign a dues card and get a c book (which I did not have to do), but after seeing how they sell out the wage mariner rank and file, by ignoring and sweeping under the rug very real and serious issues pertaining to safety, I would have to say, no, the SIU as a union today does not do what it’s supposed to do. And that is no reflection on me as a mariner. If anything, I have a good rep here and have spent a lot of my own money to “better myself” without the help of my employer.

My suggestion is talk to people and find out why they are ticked off before issuing a judgment. You might glean some valuable information.[/QUOTE]

You’re missing the point. What i’m saying is use the free school for what its worth and upgrade. That’s what i mean by better yourself. Fuck sailing the rest of your life as an ordinary or as a wiper. While doing all that keep your options open for other opportunities and do your research and see what interests you. You obviously didn’t read the whole thread as i stated earlier that i’m currently venturing out into other parts of the industry to see what else is out there but i’m grateful for the foundation and the foot in the door the SIU gave me. Most guys out there dont have a cousin, brother, friends, uncle, or what the fuck ever to give them a job in the industry and need a starting point.

[QUOTE=Goirish44;138746]You’re missing the point. What i’m saying is use the free school for what its worth and upgrade. That’s what i mean by better yourself. Fuck sailing the rest of your life as an ordinary or as a wiper. While doing all that keep your options open for other opportunities and do your research and see what interests you. You obviously didn’t read the whole thread as i stated earlier that i’m currently venturing out into other parts of the industry to see what else is out there but i’m grateful for the foundation and the foot in the door the SIU gave me. Most guys out there dont have a cousin, brother, friends, uncle, or what the fuck ever to give them a job in the industry and need a starting point.[/QUOTE]

That seems to be the hardest part - getting your foot in the door, especially in today’s economy. Unions seem to be the only place where the concept of an entry-level employee even exists anymore.

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;138748]That seems to be the hardest part - getting your foot in the door, especially in today’s economy. Unions seem to be the only place where the concept of an entry-level employee even exists anymore.[/QUOTE]

There are at least 50 times as many non union jobs available.

Its a lot faster and cheaper to spend two weeks knocking on doors to find a job, than it is to spend seven months doing dishes at Piney Point for free.

I cannot see any point in going to Piney Point unless your primary goal is to hawespipe into an unlimited license. Even if that is the goal, you can get there faster by working for a year on smaller vessels where you can get 1.5 times seatime for 12 hour days.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;138773]There are at least 50 times as many non union jobs available.

Its a lot faster and cheaper to spend two weeks knocking on doors to find a job, than it is to spend seven months doing dishes at Piney Point for free.

I cannot see any point in going to Piney Point unless your primary goal is to hawespipe into an unlimited license. Even if that is the goal, you can get there faster by working for a year on smaller vessels where you can get 1.5 times seatime for 12 hour days.[/QUOTE]

My hope is to eventually earn an unlimited license.

As for faster and cheaper, who is going to pay for all the courses I need to take (BST, et. al.)? I do not believe in getting something for nothing, but if there is an opportunity to receive training without financial cost, then why not take advantage of it?

[QUOTE=TheShipCantSink;138805]My hope is to eventually earn an unlimited license.

As for faster and cheaper, who is going to pay for all the courses I need to take (BST, et. al.)? I do not believe in getting something for nothing, but if there is an opportunity to receive training without financial cost, then why not take advantage of it?[/QUOTE]

If you work 200 days ( instead of going to Piney Point) at $200 a day that’s $40,000. That makes washing dishes for free at Piney Point in exchange for some “free” schooling sound pretty expensive to me.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;138843]If you work 200 days ( instead of going to Piney Point) at $200 a day that’s $40,000. That makes washing dishes for free at Piney Point in exchange for some “free” schooling sound pretty expensive to me.[/QUOTE]

:frowning:

So many sharply contrasting viewpoints! Its making me nuts.

And let me take a moment and thank everyone collectively here. Again, no other group has been so helpful in an upfront manner.

A hilarious post of a recent graduate of the SIU apprenticeship program. Check out his blog… :rolleyes:

http://www.entirelyalive.com/2014/06/things-i-have-learned.html#comment-form