Starting pay for mates in the gom!

Read everything that follows that and you’ll notice the pattern. Your high of $650 is still realistically way off for mates pay also. With minimal experience and just DP intro a mate can get more than that on an OSV. I would imagine drillships to be even higher. These answers can be realistically found by searching.

[QUOTE=“Fraqrat;90740”]Read everything that follows that and you’ll notice the pattern. Your high of $650 is still realistically way off for mates pay also. With minimal experience and just DP intro a mate can get more than that on an OSV. I would imagine drillships to be even higher. These answers can be realistically found by searching.[/QUOTE]

I feel you are “realistically” mocking me Ha. These numbers are just what I have seen and heard out there looks like I am getting hosed on my pay but anyways thanks for the info might be looking for a new job shortly. Good day

I would listen to what Fraqrat is telling you. I’m someone who knows nothing of the OSV industry and he took the time and really broke down the expectations, pay and benefits.

$450-$650 is correct.

The $650 most likely is training master pay. Some companies may only put you at $350 and on deck for 6 months if you are a academy grad. To many of them come get qualified and haul ass this is just a way to learn and weed out the jumpers.

[QUOTE=“beekerbetter;90734”]I just don’t see the point of taking the time to tell people off when the same amount of time could be spent to tell them the answer. Here is a idea, don’t say anything. I don’t see why three of four people get the final say about who can ask what.[/QUOTE]

Because this is the EXACT same bullshit I have heard randomly in my 30+ year career about how: " I tried, but couldn’t find it, I couldn’t do it, or I can’t get it done.".

Don’t worry… A COMPETENT seaman will shortly arrive and you will still be standing there wondering why you were passed over and over and over for promotion. Does that make the inference clearer why it takes more than ‘I tried my best’ to succeed?

It is correct-ish. $650 for a training master is not correct. There are companies that are paying over $650 for mates, so imaging what a training master makes.

Cappy208, I didn’t ask the question that started the thread. And before you go making assumptions about me let me say I’m a 1600 ton master of 13 years. I got it when I was 23. It wasn’t easy and I got some help along the way. I wish there was a site like this when I was coming up. It could have saved me from working for some deadbeat companies for crap pay. I get that you guys are tired of the same questions but as seen on the replies to this thread there are many different answers to the question. Show me one thread on job searching or pay that doesn’t have a negative or sarcastic reply in it.

No, I don’t think the OP searched but then again I don’t see why this thread is still going. If it was jus left alone with no reply he may have actually looked for his answer and this thread would wonder down to no mans land.

Where would the fun be in that?

I have been reading Gcaptain for a little more than a year now. The patterns I see in these forums are of three or four “has been” captains spreading their poor attitudes to anyone who wants to use the site. Many of us have worked with guys like these in the past. They think they are the best and always right no matter what. Everyone should bow when they make their occational pass through the wheelhouse, usually when the internet is down. The saying goes, those who can do, those who cant teach, and those who cant do or teach sit in front of their computer and type on a forum all day. If you think I may be talking about you, you are probably right!!

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;90795]Where would the fun be in that?[/QUOTE]

Our pointy sticks would go unused!

[QUOTE=beekerbetter;90793]but then again I don’t see why this thread is still going. If it was jus left alone with no reply he may have actually looked for his answer and this thread would wonder down to no mans land.[/QUOTE]

One, this thread is still going because of YOU!

Two, those of us here who contribute every day to this forum are not just the most golly, isn’t this just sooper bunch. We’re old and crusty and don’t like all these little effing newbs just jumping in our pool saying “Hi Guys! I don’t know a goddamned thing but want you to tell me everything I need to know to get one of those fab glam boat driving jobs you all have.” You say you paid your dues then GOOD! But what is all this about getting help along the way? better not be cutting corners kinda help. C.captain cannot abide seatime cheats. I have known too many of them to tolerate any more,

To please the touchy feely crowd we’re gonna have to get Nerf pointy sticks.

All bow to the mighty C Captain. He’s probably flushed more salt water than I’ve sailed and all that jazz.

To reply to your sea time cheat accusation.
I got help in that an STCW instructor told me to use my Navy time to help towards getting my 100 ton. The company that hired me didn’t tell me I could do that, hell the navy didn’t tell me I could do that. An old salt I called Captain told me not to sit back on the 100 ton, to keep moving up. A company let me work a year straight in west africa to allow me to get sea time ASAP. So yeah no cheating just determination and some good advice and help from people along the way.

Look, I’m not looking to start some sort of thread war here. I said what I had to say and maybe some of you will change your outlook about how you talk to all these “newbs” or you won’t. Maybe i don’t spend enough time on here to let these repeated questions bother me. Regardless I’m done on this subject. I look forward to more meaningful conversation in the future.

Like, how do I find a job on an OSV in the Gulf?

There is a huge difference between a thoughtful, insightful honest question than an obviously inept question borne out of sheer laziness. Of course some wanna be seamen have questions. Glad to hear 'em. But obvious, repetitive gladhand questions about how to ‘grab the top slot, how to maximize income’ posts by a sailor who won’t put in an ounce of determination is ‘sort of’ like promoting EXACTLY who should NOT be promoted! I had to ‘Go grab the Bull by the Horn’ so to speak. So should each and everyone who desires to move up. Although this forum is an awesome help for those looking for ‘free’ answers and ‘help’, it becomes very quickly obvious who hasn’t done ANY homework on the subject.

I had a “spectacular” deckhand several years ago. He told me that he aspired to become a ‘Top Captain’ at my Co. I pondered this statement for a bit. Then I replied, .before you aspire to become a Captain, how about become a ‘Top Deckhand’ first! He was speechless. The industry does NOT need more morons like him…

what is this accusation which you speak of?

Regardless I’m done on this subject.

good

I look forward to more meaningful conversation in the future.

try to be the source for such a conversation next time instead of the diversion away from it you have proven to be this time

Like, how do I find a job on an OSV in the Gulf?

THEN READ ALL THE THOUSANDS OF WORDS WHICH HAVE BEEN POSTED HERE ALREADY!

This accusation. I was being sarcastic about the job. And just because you see no value in what I wrote doesn’t mean I care.

As for a solid lead on who is hiring… Sorry, I don’t gave any good tips. The generic pound the pavement MIGHT work. But again, a good solid lead I don’t have.

Oh IM sorry guys I thought this was a forum to learn and ask questions.

To answer your question yes it is worth pursuing as a career. 18 year old kids without a lick of sense can walk right into a $40k+ a year job. 22 year old kids coming out of the academies without a lick of sense can walk right into $150k+ a year job. Don’t expect it to be handed to you. Plenty of guys with experience are way ahead of you in the line to get these jobs.

Now as far as this forum being here for questions, answers, free exchange of ideas etc. you betcha. I learn stuff all the time on this forum. I think I can speak for a few people here by saying all the witty and smart ass comments are not indicative of us as people. I get PM’s all the time from people asking for help or advice. After a few exchanges I can tell wether or not they’ve done their homework and searched the old threads. In that case I freely give them info. In a lot of cases I have helped them in their search for a job in any way I can. People studying for license testing ask for help and I give it. I’ve had young people ask about academy stuff. Not being a grad it’s hard for me to answer all of that stuff. So I reach out to my network of ex cadets aboard my vessel and see if they want to exchange email and answer the guys questions. In most cases I can put them in contact with a current student at their desired school. All the people I help have one thing in common they attempted to help themselves first. Lets say you have a new hire lazy ass OS who you have to remind constantly to do his job. Now lets say he comes up to you and says hey I need my book signed off to get my AB. You don’t just blindly sign it because he asked do you? No you don’t you make him demonstrate or explain it all to you. Do you answer every question he asks you? No you give him the books and manuals to read see if he can figure it out for himself first. Same applies here for most people don’t just show up and ask a question and when you don’t hear what you want get upset about it.

[QUOTE=beekerbetter;90819]This accusation. I was being sarcastic about the job. And just because you see no value in what I wrote doesn’t mean I care.[/QUOTE]

now, we don’t need to be so touchy now…do we?