Starting employment process with MSC, need advice!

Hello All:

I had a nicely written message to post up here and my computer froze. I am starting the employment process with MSC here soon. I attend a job fair next week. I had a strong desire to serve in the armed forces since I was a child, but when I found out at the age of 14 that I had bipolar disorder, well needless to say that threw that dream in the ^&*$$%^. I have looked into MSC before and I like the idea of working as a DOD civ for the US Navy and it sounds pretty cool. Here are some questions I have and I am looking for straight forward answers.

1.) My mood disorder is chronic, however seeking the proper treatment helped me immensely. I am successful and most people don’t know about my medical history unless I tell them. ONe of the reasons I never fully went to join the military was bc not only would I be PDQ’d but if I lied and got caught, not only does it ruin my integrity but screws me from a job with the government afterward, especially with Dis. Discharge.

2.) I have a bachelors degree in history(an unrelated field) and no tech or seagoing experience at all. I know they hire for supply utilitymen from time to time, but does anyone know when they will be hiring for this position again? Also, I don’t have the 4 years to go to a maritime academy, what certifications can I earn if any that would qualify me for employment for a hiring position?

3.) I have a prior DUI from over 2 1/2 years ago that has since been resolved( a long while back). I have no other criminal offenses. What does this do to my chances?

I don’t see the MSC as a career goal for me. I don’t want to spend 20 years on the water, more like 2-3. I was robbed of the chance to earn a military record and this I feel is the closest I can get to actually enlisting in the navy. Any help, advice, direction you can provide would be great. It is in my heart to serve and I can’t deny the calling anymore. I love my country and I want to give back to the best of my ability.

Derek

let me say that when I say Chronic, I am simply referring to the fact that I will never be “cured” of it like cancer. It will always be with me. But I have learned to manage it with/without medication immenstly. Most people can’t tell I even have a neurological condition.

I would love to get any feedback ya’ll have. I noticed I am getting alot of views but no replies. This is very important to me, so if you have a chance, please reply with your knowledge. :slight_smile:

There is a difference between something looking cool and being cool. Ever see Top Gun? Cool movie huh? Well, I was on an aircraft carrier for 3 years and it was “cool” for maybe a week or two. However, I didn’t ever hear that music nor was I ever involved in air to air dog fights. It’s hard work with long hours.

If you suffer from any mood disorder, life will be tough for you and the people you interact with. Are you going to able to handle the stress from long hours, hard tedious work and cranky coworkers? Are they going to be able to handle you? Can you handle being away from home for months at a time?

Why don’t you have the time to pursue a maritime academy? Not saying you have to, but just curious. If you do not have sea experience or qualifications, life will be rough for a while. As far as the DUI, I am not sure.

If you want to work for MSC for only 2 to 3 years, then why bother with it at all? Find something you really like to do and pursue it. Don’t waste your time on something you will only do for a short period of time. What is it about the Navy that has you so interested? As far as serving goes, you can serve your community by volunteering. Working with disabled vets, something that will make an impact on your community.

Hope this helps,

Martilyo

[QUOTE=Patriot1384;58508]I would love to get any feedback ya’ll have. I noticed I am getting alot of views but no replies. This is very important to me, so if you have a chance, please reply with your knowledge. :-)[/QUOTE]

You seem like just the kind of “go getter” MSC is looking for. Be persistent about getting a job with us. Hire a professional to write your KSAs and they almost guarantee you a job. Good luck and I hope to be sailing with you soon!

[I][B]There is a difference between something looking cool and being cool. Ever see Top Gun? Cool movie huh? Well, I was on an aircraft carrier for 3 years and it was “cool” for maybe a week or two. However, I didn’t ever hear that music nor was I ever involved in air to air dog fights. It’s hard work with long hours.

If you suffer from any mood disorder, life will be tough for you and the people you interact with. Are you going to able to handle the stress from long hours, hard tedious work and cranky coworkers? Are they going to be able to handle you? Can you handle being away from home for months at a time?

Why don’t you have the time to pursue a maritime academy? Not saying you have to, but just curious. If you do not have sea experience or qualifications, life will be rough for a while. As far as the DUI, I am not sure.

If you want to work for MSC for only 2 to 3 years, then why bother with it at all? Find something you really like to do and pursue it. Don’t waste your time on something you will only do for a short period of time. What is it about the Navy that has you so interested? As far as serving goes, you can serve your community by volunteering. Working with disabled vets, something that will make an impact on your community.

Hope this helps,

Martilyo

[/B]
[/I]Martilyo:

Let me address this entire reply so you understand where I am coming from. I have no problem working long, tedious hours. It does look interesting to me. Of course, its not always going to be a cookie cutter romance. I expect that. I think you might get the impression that since I am a college grad that maybe I don’t understand the value of hard work. I had two jobs and went to college full time. I am from the Ohio Valley region. I am not afraid to get my hands dirty at all. In fact, I think that is a value every man should have.

As for my medical condition, I honestly work 50 plus hours a week as it is. I work in sales, so its defitinitely a “pressure cooker” so to speak. If I don’t sell, I don’t make money, and if I don’t sell long enough, I don’t have a job anymore. Having this condition for 12 years, I know my limits and frankly I am more than able to handle large amounts of stress. I actually work very well under pressure.

As for being away from home. I live 1,000 miles away from my family as it is. What is another 2,000. I have been on my own in Florida for almost 5 years now. I actually am looking forward to traveling. I don’t have a wife, children, frankly I don’t even have a girlfriend. I only have myself down here to worry about. Give me a clean shower and somewhere to sleep and I wouldn’t complain.

I have read alot about the MSC. I liked the Navy bc of all the opportunies to travel, the ability to serve in the armed forces, the benefits, the pay, the commaradeer(sp), etc. I know its not all ribbons and bows, my brother has told me how the Army is. But its rewarding. And having the opportunity to work for the Navy would be something I would not regret in a million years.

I know you can serve other ways. Honestly, that sort of service doesn’t interest me. I tried the Civil Air Patrol. Went to 1 meeting and they never got back to me. Frankly, it was a joke, at least the unit I checked out was. A bunch of country clubbers that treated it as if it was a PGA golf tournament. I know you can give back by working with disabled vets. But honestly, that is not the capacity I want to serve. I want to get my hands dirty, get close to the action. FEEL the difference I am making. If I can’t work in the military, then by golly I want to bring the supplies to the guys that can. I wanted to serve in the armed forces. Unfortunately I can’t. It wasn’t in my cards. But d*mmit, I am going to get as close as I can. So to take 2-3 years out of my life to serve my country, I see it as only a small token of my gratitude and a chance for me to get my life back on track.

I’m burnt out with my where I am at. I built up debts. I don’t have a bad job but my life is not where I wanted it to be. I want a future. This is a good start for me. I have looked at the MSC since I was 22. I should have done it a year ago. Maybe it is not in my career field, but so far, I haven’t worked in my field. If I have the opportunity to build up income, then I can afford my education.

Work for MSC for 2-3 years, or longer…or take out another 50,000 in college loans to get out and work at a grocery store bc I can’t find a job in archaeology? You do the math.

Now, with that being said, I am sure you can see where I am coming from. I just had to clarify it for you bc your right, not many people would see this as a “jewel” job. As for me, I have no attachments in my current area and I am looking for a change. I have done my research and I feel this is it.

Now, can anyone give me the advice to get me there? I am open to anything.

[QUOTE=Patriot1384;58541][I][B]There is a difference between something looking cool and being cool. Ever see Top Gun? Cool movie huh? Well, I was on an aircraft carrier for 3 years and it was “cool” for maybe a week or two. However, I didn’t ever hear that music nor was I ever involved in air to air dog fights. It’s hard work with long hours.

Hope this helps,

Martilyo

[/B]
[/I]Martilyo:

Let me address this entire reply so you understand where I am coming from. I have no problem working long, tedious hours. It does look interesting to me. Of course, its not always going to be a cookie cutter romance. I expect that. I think you might get the impression that since I am a college grad that maybe I don’t understand the value of hard work. I had two jobs and went to college full time. I am from the Ohio Valley region. I am not afraid to get my hands dirty at all. In fact, I think that is a value every man should have.

As for my medical condition, I honestly work 50 plus hours a week as it is. I work in sales, so its defitinitely a “pressure cooker” so to speak. If I don’t sell, I don’t make money, and if I don’t sell long enough, I don’t have a job anymore. Having this condition for 12 years, I know my limits and frankly I am more than able to handle large amounts of stress. I actually work very well under pressure.

As for being away from home. I live 1,000 miles away from my family as it is. What is another 2,000. I have been on my own in Florida for almost 5 years now. I actually am looking forward to traveling. I don’t have a wife, children, frankly I don’t even have a girlfriend. I only have myself down here to worry about. Give me a clean shower and somewhere to sleep and I wouldn’t complain.

I have read alot about the MSC. I liked the Navy bc of all the opportunies to travel, the ability to serve in the armed forces, the benefits, the pay, the commaradeer(sp), etc. I know its not all ribbons and bows, my brother has told me how the Army is. But its rewarding. And having the opportunity to work for the Navy would be something I would not regret in a million years.

I know you can serve other ways. Honestly, that sort of service doesn’t interest me. I tried the Civil Air Patrol. Went to 1 meeting and they never got back to me. Frankly, it was a joke, at least the unit I checked out was. A bunch of country clubbers that treated it as if it was a PGA golf tournament. I know you can give back by working with disabled vets. But honestly, that is not the capacity I want to serve. I want to get my hands dirty, get close to the action. FEEL the difference I am making. If I can’t work in the military, then by golly I want to bring the supplies to the guys that can. I wanted to serve in the armed forces. Unfortunately I can’t. It wasn’t in my cards. But d*mmit, I am going to get as close as I can. So to take 2-3 years out of my life to serve my country, I see it as only a small token of my gratitude and a chance for me to get my life back on track.

I’m burnt out with my where I am at. I built up debts. I don’t have a bad job but my life is not where I wanted it to be. I want a future. This is a good start for me. I have looked at the MSC since I was 22. I should have done it a year ago. Maybe it is not in my career field, but so far, I haven’t worked in my field. If I have the opportunity to build up income, then I can afford my education.

Work for MSC for 2-3 years, or longer…or take out another 50,000 in college loans to get out and work at a grocery store bc I can’t find a job in archaeology? You do the math.

Now, with that being said, I am sure you can see where I am coming from. I just had to clarify it for you bc your right, not many people would see this as a “jewel” job. As for me, I have no attachments in my current area and I am looking for a change. I have done my research and I feel this is it.

Now, can anyone give me the advice to get me there? I am open to anything.[/QUOTE]

This post confirms that you have some kind of brain damage! You are perfect for MSC! NEVER stop applying. I repeat, NEVER STOP APPLYING until you get a job with us!

Patriot
check your PM list

Good clarification. Besides only an idiot would rack up 50k on a useless degree. From everything you said it sounds like you have a plan. I wish I had the info you need, but I am not too knowledgable about starting from scratch. I believe there are MMC endorsements such as ordinary seaman and such that don’t require previous work experience as QMED would. I would get your passport, TWIC card and contact the USCG and find out what MMC you are qualified to get. Then watch the MSC website like a hawk for open entry level positions. I was an electrician in the Navy, got everything I mentioned above and as I was processing my MMD, MSC closed the position for Electrician. That suxed bad. So I waited until this Oct and a Second Electrician spot opened up. I just applied. If you would like I can tell you how I got where I am and the whole process as I go through it. If you have any other questions, there are many knowledgable ppl on this forum who can help. I started a forum thread about MSC employment you may want to search for. I asked a bunch of questions, so much I think Zod was going to start charging me… Good luck.

Martilyo

so much I think Zod was going to start charging me… Good luck.

he’s a very knowledgeable poster- just don’t let the tone get to you:)

To get your basic MMD as OS, wiper and Steward Dept FH you don’;t need any prior experience. Its an entry level credential. your DWI could be a problem depending on how old it is. the USCG is humorless about them. I would contact an admiralty lawyer. Or maybe someone knowledgable and reputable like Chuck Kaukuska or Kelly Sweeney. they both handle paperwork for new mariners and know a lot about the regulations. I don’t know Sweeney’s website address, but he writes a column in Professional Mariner magazine and always lists his email there. Kaukuska runs an outfit called Sea K’s licensing. I have used him and he is aces.
Your bipolar disorder could become a problem at sea. Good people get squirrily out to sea. Good people with personality disorders get very squirrily out to sea.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;58629] Or maybe someone knowledgable and reputable like Chuck Kaukuska or Kelly Sweeney. they both handle paperwork for new mariners and know a lot about the regulations. I don’t know Sweeney’s website address, [/QUOTE]

Judy is very good . Here’s her web address below.

http://marineronestop.com/about-us/consultants/

Well, I actually just went to a job fair for MSC in St. Mary’s, GA. at the Dept. of Labor. I found out some important information. When I first got to the job fair, I met the recruiter named Rob Gans. I explained my medical situation and he urged me to contact MSC medical. I was transfered to Danielle, whom I had spoken with before. I left a voicemail. She contacted me shortly thereafter, informing me that although my condition was disqualifying and I needed a waiver, there is a very good chance it would be approved. She specifically stated she had actually dealt with about 10 different cases where a person had bipolar disorder. All 10 were approved for the waiver. Concerning the DUI, it was 2 1/2 years ago and she told me that didn’t appear to be an issue either. She might have given me a contact concerning the violation, however I am not sure what that number was. Does anyone know?

Also, although I can recieve a waiver for MSC for the condition, what is the deal with obtaining my MMC’s from the Coast Guard? Is it a doubled headed monster with them, where I have to get approved by them as well?

Furthermore, apparently I initially qualify as a SU, but when I was on the phone with Danielle, I learned that if I can get medical approval to handle small arms, there is the opportunity once I start to build a service record, that I could put in for a job where I would handle weapons cargo, in which case I would be armed. This is right up my alley! Has anyone ever had this job before or have any information on it? I know the MSC is civilian manned and I didn’t think at first that any of the CIVMARS were armed in any fashion, but apparently this is not true.

So, with that being said, the job fair was definitely a positive experience and when they showed us the video for MSC, I got this feeling of patriotism and the notion that although you are not enlisting in the military, this part of the DOD is almost pseudo-military. I mean, bringing the weapons, supplies, etc is just as important as firing them. I think I found my opportunity to serve my country to the best of my ability. And, on top of that, start earning time toward federal retirement. Although I don’t want to be a MM for more than 2-3 yrs, I would have my foot in the door with the Federal Government and have better opportunities at employment in the future.

I would love to hear what you folks have to say in response!

-Derek-

[QUOTE=Patriot1384;58896]Concerning the DUI, it was 2 1/2 years ago and she told me that didn’t appear to be an issue either. She might have given me a contact concerning the violation, however I am not sure what that number was. Does anyone know?

Also, although I can recieve a waiver for MSC for the condition, what is the deal with obtaining my MMC’s from the Coast Guard? Is it a doubled headed monster with them, where I have to get approved by them as well?

Furthermore, apparently I initially qualify as a SU, but when I was on the phone with Danielle, I learned that if I can get medical approval to handle small arms, there is the opportunity once I start to build a service record, that I could put in for a job where I would handle weapons cargo, in which case I would be armed. This is right up my alley! Has anyone ever had this job before or have any information on it? I know the MSC is civilian manned and I didn’t think at first that any of the CIVMARS were armed in any fashion, but apparently this is not true.

So, with that being said, the job fair was definitely a positive experience and when they showed us the video for MSC, I got this feeling of patriotism and the notion that although you are not enlisting in the military, this part of the DOD is almost pseudo-military. I mean, bringing the weapons, supplies, etc is just as important as firing them. I think I found my opportunity to serve my country to the best of my ability. And, on top of that, start earning time toward federal retirement. Although I don’t want to be a MM for more than 2-3 yrs, I would have my foot in the door with the Federal Government and have better opportunities at employment in the future.

I would love to hear what you folks have to say in response!

-Derek-[/QUOTE]

I am glad you enjoyed the job fair. I am not sure about the phone number concerning the DUI nor do I have info about small arm handling but, you will need:

1. Must be a United States Citizen of at least 18 years
    of age and possess and maintain a valid:
    a. U.S. Passport with a minimum of 7 months remaining
    of expiration date; AND

b. United States Coast Guard (USCG Merchant Mariner
    Document (MMD), or Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC),
    with a minimum 10 months remaining of expiration date
    with the following endorsements: Ordinary Seaman (OS),
    Wiper, and Steward Department (FH), or higher; AND

c. Transportation Worker Identification Credential
    (TWIC) card with minimum of 10 months remaining of
    expiration date.

d. MSC must have a position open that you want to and qualify for applying.

If you checkout http://www.sealiftcommand.com 99% of the information you need to apply is there. Checkout http://www.sealiftcommand.com/resources/u-s-coast-guard-regional-exam-centers in regards to contacting the USCG in obtaining your MMC card. Checkout http://www.sealiftcommand.com/resources/transportation-workers-identification-credential-twic in obtaining your TWIC card. All of this information and more can be found on the MSC website http://www.sealiftcommand.com Good luck!

Martilyo

[QUOTE=Patriot1384;58896] She specifically stated she had actually dealt with about 10 different cases where a person had bipolar disorder. All 10 were approved for the waiver. [/QUOTE]

I think I have sailed with all of them!

[QUOTE=Patriot1384;58896] Furthermore, apparently I initially qualify as a SU, but when I was on the phone with Danielle, I learned that if I can get medical approval to handle small arms, there is the opportunity once I start to build a service record, that I could put in for a job where I would handle weapons cargo, in which case I would be armed. This is right up my alley! [/QUOTE]

As if I wasn’t sleeping poorly already! This is disturbing.

[QUOTE=Patriot1384;58896]So, with that being said, the job fair was definitely a positive experience and when they showed us the video for MSC, I got this feeling of patriotism and the notion that although you are not enlisting in the military, this part of the DOD is almost pseudo-military. [/QUOTE]

He is sick in the head!

let me say that when I say Chronic

Bi-polar and armed at work…Fucking great!!!

Patriot-

We get 50 posts a month on “HOW DO I GET STARTED”.

SEARCH THE EARLIER THREADS!!

Until you have a MMC and TWIC IN YOUR HANDS anything you say is just hot air.
The USCG will have to give you a waiver for your condition and evaluate your DUI BEFORE MSC can evaluate you.

You say you work 50 hours a week…

Seafarers normally work 84 hours a week with no weekends off to re-coup.
You are at the bottom of the totem pole; so far at the bottom you’re the part that’s stuck in the ground.
As an OS it’s real work, involving labor. Lift and tote, scrub and clean, haul and heave.
Nothing in sales will have prepared you for this kind of stress.
As a salesman, if you have a bad day…you are broke.
As a crewmember, if you have a bad day…somebody could die.

Get your documents if you can, research the older posts on this forum and get your life in order.
Then, and only then, start seriously considering weather you want to go to sea.

This life is not for everybody. In fact, it’s not for MOST people.
I don’t know you, maybe I’m dead wrong…
but my guess is it ain’t for you.

You won’t be able to get any marine license, let alone an OS MMD with a past DWI on your record. The coast guard would overlook a past robbery lol but DWI - ur screwed for life in this business.

Not true.

As long as ALL of the required conditions have been satisfied (classes, hearings, restitution, etc) have been completed, it doesn’t count against you.

Lying about ANYTHING on the application WILL screw you for life.