Military Sealift Command Q&A

Just Wondering how difficult it is to get into MSC, I am going through the application process and they require a complete assessment of how much debt you owe, and coupled with student Loans, and a few other things Im a good 20k in the hole. I am just wondering how much of a factor that should play out as in my app.

It is probably for the SF-86 application. Do not lie on it, admit to it and you are probably okay, but lie and get caught and you are screwed. Bankruptcy is a flag on an SF-86 but I dont know how bad that is for your situation.

If you do get hired, plan to stay out way past your due date, they are terrible at getting people off the ships as far as I can tell. My ship has several including me. I am bout ready to bail on this job, they are not worth the BS

Shouldn’t be too much of a problem, I think they just want to make sure you aren’t up to your neck and need to sell off national secrets (like your BBQ recipes) in order to stay afloat.

I’m just getting started with them right now and I’m hearing they’re pretty desperate for even more people, and they’re pushing the new hires through with the min. training so they can get out there quicker. But a jobs a job…

Is credit score a consideration in the hiring process? Mine has been taking a beating since the economic downturn in addition to being a full time student.

I spoke to the Msc recruiters Today, and trying to apply with Msc has become a pointless waste of time. There a bunch of morons. None of them seem to know wtf there doing or whats going on, one of them told me you have to be able to qualify for a secret clearance in order to work for them, another told me bad credit didnt matter so long as you claimed it on there application, another told me you dont need to qualify for a clearance, and then I was told they were not hiring and not to bother applying, and I kindly explained to them that there are a few dozen adds all over the internet looking for staff and the lady said “Oh, well i didn’t know we were hiring let me look on our websight to see what positions are open”

What a Load of “Insert favorite Expletive Here” IS the entire company like this? If so Why does anyone bother working for them?

Cook/Baker IS open, here’s the link. http://www.sealiftcommand.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Cook-Baker.pdf

In my experience the HRM folks there, (and particularly bad are the recruiters) can be complete horses of a different color as compared to the mariners you will end up working besides on the ship, mainly due to the fact that they are…well, office weenies and not mariners. When it comes to MSC, just hold your breath all through the hiring process, it gets loads better once you’re aboard ship. Clearances are required, but I suspect for a cook nothing more than a Confidential would be required and a NAC-National Agency Check will get that done fairly qiuck; the paperwork end of the clearance and the job associated application is tedious and slow, hang in there!!

[QUOTE=Barbeque;37005]I spoke to the Msc recruiters Today, and trying to apply with Msc has become a pointless waste of time. There a bunch of morons. None of them seem to know wtf there doing or whats going on, one of them told me you have to be able to qualify for a secret clearance in order to work for them, another told me bad credit didnt matter so long as you claimed it on there application, another told me you dont need to qualify for a clearance, and then I was told they were not hiring and not to bother applying, and I kindly explained to them that there are a few dozen adds all over the internet looking for staff and the lady said “Oh, well i didn’t know we were hiring let me look on our websight to see what positions are open”

What a Load of “Insert favorite Expletive Here” IS the entire company like this? If so Why does anyone bother working for them?[/QUOTE]

Very astute observations. You are far too enlightened to work for the Command. It’s not only as bad as you think…it’s worse!:slight_smile:

You just got to suck it up and deal with the paperwork. Remember, these are federal government workers. Just turn in your app and then deal with the BS best you can.

CMA Decky, you are right on, actually many of the above posts are somewhat on, somewhat off, but it all evens out in the wash, remember, the folks working in HR, are typical federal employees, they know nothing of sea going, or what a CIVMAR does when you get onboard ship, they love thier GS rating, and the plush benefits.

As do I, 2nd Mate, getting ready to sail C/M temp, with hopes of a permanant job along the way, MSC is what you make of it, expect the worst at the hiring and training centers, once get on a ship everything seems to make more sense.

Now as for reliefs, they appear to have undermined the economic slowdown and are now trying to catch up, very typical, things here are always cyclical, highs and lows, feast and famon.

Good Luck

CMA Decky, you are right on, actually many of the above posts are somewhat on, somewhat off, but it all evens out in the wash, remember, the folks working in HR, are typical federal employees, they know nothing of sea going, or what a CIVMAR does when you get onboard ship, they love thier GS rating, and the plush benefits.

As do I, 2nd Mate, getting ready to sail C/M temp, with hopes of a permanant job along the way, MSC is what you make of it, expect the worst at the hiring and training centers, once get on a ship everything seems to make more sense.

Now as for reliefs, they appear to have undermined the economic slowdown and are now trying to catch up, very typical, things here are always cyclical, highs and lows, feast and famon.

Good Luck

So,

If I’m understanding these discussions correctly, there is a shortage of reliefs. Is there an way to get a job for an OS currently even though it isn’t listed on their site?

yes absolutely i applied to msc and its been 6 months all they say is your application is under review!!!

OS just closed. Take that information for what its worth

I applied to MSC and was hired within 4 months. I did their 6 weeks training school. They put us up in a nice hotel with good pay and food allowance. I became a hotel dweller with them. You like to live in nice hotels? I did. It’s a fancy free lifestyle hanging out with the others. Dine in resturants, drink in the bars for weeks on end and get paid real good. Shit, what a deal. Went to the ship in Italy. Worked around the clock, no sleep, high pressure, had like 2 heart attacks. Got drunk in port and fun with high end Russian call girls in Dubai. In the end made 90,000 dollars in ten months, retired a while in the Phillippines. Yea, i would recommend MSC

I am writing in hopes that someone may be able to provide me with some insight before I seriously consider MSC. I am in the Navy and will retire next summer with 20 years of service and a little over 10 years sea time. I have already been offered the job of radio electronics technician and I figured that I could use the Navy to complete my physical. I was wondering if MSC gave any special consideration to prior military when determing pay, how hard is it to get on ships on the West Coast, is it difficult to get overtime/get promoted on the job and realistically how long does it take to get your STCW qualification? I could use my GI Bill or the Navy’s money while I am still on active duty to do this but I have a bit of a time constraint as I am a boot camp instructor stationed at Great Lakes, IL. Oh yeah and I have just renewed my Secret clearance which should last me another 10 years. Your assistance on this matter is greatly appreciated and any other words of wisdom that you can think of. Perhaps some common mistakes that people make before they join. I love being at sea and if I can make more money than I did in the Navy that would be an added bonus. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Daymon

There are already multiple threads about MSC, try checking those and see if they answer any of your questions…

Promotions do take into consideration previous military experience.

Radio techs have an easy time transferring to the west coast.

I’m not in radio but some former radio shipmates turned down west coast transfers after a short wait. I’ve been with MSC for four years if that helps.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;47559]Promotions do take into consideration previous military experience.

Radio techs have an easy time transferring to the west coast.

I’m not in radio but some former radio shipmates turned down west coast transfers after a short wait. I’ve been with MSC for four years if that helps.[/QUOTE]

I am applying for Electronics Technician position. Do they have good opportunities to move to the west coast?

Can you make any overtime as a greenhorn Supply Utilityman?

I’ve been checking out a lot of the threads on the MSC on this forum, and I’ve noticed many are dated three years or so (2010). I’m not sure if that matters, but I’m interested in up to date info… has anything changed?

I’m a former Submariner in the Navy. Communications ET. I got out in 2004. Someone turned me on to the MSC and I’m considering applying.

I’ve called the 1800MSCJobs# but have heard/read conflicting information from the people I’ve talked to when asking the same question to more than one operator…

What is the average time to get in once you submit your application? I’ve heard it could take 4-6 weeks once you submit before you get a call, and then up to 60 days after that even if they hire you. Someone else said it’s less than 30 days.

Do you have to sign a contract to be in the MSC, similar to a Navy enlistment?

How do you make overtime when you’re out to sea? Standing extra watches?

How frequent are port visits when you’re out to sea?

What is the rotation. I was told 4-6 months at sea, followed by a few months in port.

What do you do inport? Report to Naval Station Norfolk for 8 hours a day M-F?

And this is more for any current or recent Communications ET’s that might be reading… the job description says you need to be familiar with Otcixs, SSIXS, BGIXS, Gateguard, etc. Those are all circuits that I’ve used in the late 90’s, early 2000’s, but I was under the impression they were rarely used and the fleet transitioned to more IP based communications. Is that not the case?