Military Sealift Command Q&A

No, nothing much charges at msc.

You will get conflicting info from the office from the time you work there until you depart.

No contract with msc. you are obligated for a four mont trip ( plus time to get your relief ). If they pay for an upgrade school you may be obligated for a time period.

OT is made on repairs, ( m and r), unreps and additional watches if you are sailing short

There is no " rotation", Msc ships don’t deploy like USN ships do, they are always deployed for the most part. There is seldom a schedule you can count of for more than a few weeks, and at times not even then.

When in port you stand watch, do repairs and get away from the ship and USN as much as possible. Report to Norfolk off 8 hrs a day? Are you kidding?

I never got a port call when at sea.

Count on a lot of seatime and being away from home for months. It’s not for everyone.

Is it true that you can almost double you salary from overtime with msc??

That depends on the ship, what its doing, the budget, your department head, your willingness to work and any more of a thousand different factors.

And if you don’t double your pay one month go to the captain and demand he fix it!

I’m here now as a SU. You will get regular OT from working sat and sun. Anything more than that is up to the captain and chief steward

[QUOTE=Mike23;114327]I’m here now as a SU. You will get regular OT from working sat and sun. Anything more than that is up to the captain and chief steward[/QUOTE]

Hey I just got offered a job as a SU at the first week of June 13’ and just finished the physical and medical test, I was wondering how long did it take to start NEO and training school.

What is the oldest greenhorn OS anyone has known or heard of?

[QUOTE=Mike23;114327]I’m here now as a SU. You will get regular OT from working sat and sun. Anything more than that is up to the captain and chief steward[/QUOTE]
How do you like it so far. Is there any advancement. I would take it to get out to sea but dont think I could do it more than 2 years or so.