Stability Problem Solutions

Does anyone have any good resources for finding the solutions to Chief Mate stability questions? Specifically the ones involving the exam room books (like the stability data reference guide).

Captain Joes and Lapware both have pretty good solutions to nearly all of the problems.

I prefer Capt Joe’s for the stability solutions. I felt that they were much simpler.

Who knows most about tugs, towing and the stability problems associated with that? The Dutch!!!
The book is: Tug Stability: A Practical Guide to Safe Operations
You find it here: http://www.nationaalsleepvaartmuseum.nl/en/news/current/498-book-tug-stability

I’ve been using Lapware. Wasn’t willing to go all the way out to MITAGs for LAP (license advancement for CM/M). Thought it was bullshit they wouldn’t teach all the stability problems in the advanced stability class. I make big copies of the stability data reference manual and will ask the examiner if I can use it in the test room this Oct.

This thread could get very technical. To include GZ curve, the angle of Loll, list calculations, metacenter, buoyancy force, trim - forward and aft draft from the keel. The effect of ice or water on the deck.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;157445]Does anyone have any good resources for finding the solutions to Chief Mate stability questions? Specifically the ones involving the exam room books (like the stability data reference guide).[/QUOTE]

Captain Joe’s is the best for stability; you do not need an internet connection, and each problem is worked out so you can easily see arrival to the answer. Lapware is good as well.

Can’t use Mac OS X though. Has to be Windows.

Since we’re on the topic… I’ve preparing to sit for my mate exam. I am going to self study instead of take a formal prep course. Does anyone have any insight on the advantages/differences of Murphy’s vs Capt Joes? or Hawsepipe vs Lapware? From what I can tell from browsing the internet is I’ll need Murphy’s or Joes to learn concepts and calculations, and Hawsepipe or Lapware for extra interactive practice questions. Does Hawsepipe or Lapware give instruction?

Try this website… Helped me a lot!

http://www.tomassailor.com/reference.html

The answer is C it’s always C don’t over think it.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;189696]The answer is C it’s always C don’t over think it.[/QUOTE]

Look for an analog clock with a second hand. Break the dial into quarters. Don’t know an answer? See which quadrant the second hand is in. . . .

Glad I wasn’t the only one that thought this. It wasn’t that advanced and the instructor just kept plugging LAP, which is over $7,000(!) if you stay there. Yeah, no thanks.

[QUOTE=wafinator;190387]Glad I wasn’t the only one that thought this. It wasn’t that advanced and the instructor just kept plugging LAP, which is over $7,000(!) if you stay there. Yeah, no thanks.[/QUOTE]

I have always upgraded via self study. If you take LAP there is a high pass rate for the CM/M exams. I was told by folks in my stability class that if you join MM&P and work for 30 days (correct me if I have this wrong), they will pay for all your training. As an applicant. I’m not sure if this goes for other unions out there. So, if you’re shipping off the board, LAP is probably a good way to go. It’s always full. I’d rather save $7K from my VA benefits and use them elsewhere.